October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG announces Star Wars: Destiny

More
29 Jul 2016 17:13 #231111 by Gary Sax
I like dice games so this is tempting. But three things: duel type dice games should be light and this may have one too many layers, I'm exhausted on Star Wars right now, and collectible is not an attractive model for me since I'm already into Armada.

If there are really good reports of gameplay, I am sort of the target audience. So I could get into it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2016 17:40 #231115 by wadenels

metalface13 wrote: Not sure what to make of this -snip-

They want DiceMasters money. I like DiceMasters, but I don't need multiple games in that arena. Is there much of a market for DiceMasters style games that hasn't already been served?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jul 2016 00:21 #231127 by Michael Barnes
Dicemasters makes money because it's cheap to develop, cheap to make, cheap to sell. It is literally slapping a license onto Quarriors ("Munchkining") over and over again.

What's weird about this to me is that it's at least a year too late. This should have hit right after that first AVX set was selling out. Now, it feels like a Johnny Come Lately me-too product. FFG should be leading the industry, not tagging along on Wizkids' coat tails.

Anyway, no collectible dice game to date has been as good as Dragon Dice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Msample, Colorcrayons

More
30 Jul 2016 11:25 #231135 by san il defanso
This actually has some potential for me. I'm one of those who would kind of like to see some prequel elements brought into the FFG stable, at least in this form. It almost sounds like a CCG version of Epic Duels, which is appealing to me. I can see this being a hit with my son especially. So yeah, cautiously optimistic.

More
30 Jul 2016 20:11 #231145 by Hex Sinister
I'm gonna buy a shitload of this from the clearance bin in four years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
30 Jul 2016 20:32 #231146 by Gary Sax
^oh, totally this. I didn't think of that!

More
30 Jul 2016 23:41 #231148 by Michael Barnes
Let's run a pool- which Christmas Sale will these turn up in- 2017, 2018, 2019...

More
31 Jul 2016 20:05 #231177 by Colorcrayons
Weird how ffg turned away from blind buy collectibles in favor of selling known 'sets', as that seemed to be much more favorable to consumers and thus profitable. (LCG)
Now they see some success in the collectible realm by other companies that offer at least a somewhat unique bent on the genre and are biting at the chomp to get a piece of that action. Like Barnes noted, this has all the ar marks of a too late cash grab using something that is less than unique.

But slapping star wars on something doesn't make me want to catch em all. In fact, the complete opposite.

Star wars seems to be the new zombies or cthulhu. Over played and overrated. And I lurv me some star wars.

I'm not the target, even though I should be at least on the fringe since I don't mind blind buy when it merits it, and I enjoy star wars. Pass. But then again, I didn't fall for dicemasters either.

More
01 Aug 2016 03:30 #231182 by southernman

Colorcrayons wrote: Weird how ffg turned away from blind buy collectibles in favor of selling known 'sets', as that seemed to be much more favorable to consumers and thus profitable. (LCG)
Now they see some success in the collectible realm by other companies that offer at least a somewhat unique bent on the genre and are biting at the chomp to get a piece of that action. Like Barnes noted, this has all the ar marks of a too late cash grab using something that is less than unique.

But slapping star wars on something doesn't make me want to catch em all. In fact, the complete opposite.

Star wars seems to be the new zombies or cthulhu. Over played and overrated. And I lurv me some star wars.

I'm not the target, even though I should be at least on the fringe since I don't mind blind buy when it merits it, and I enjoy star wars. Pass. But then again, I didn't fall for dicemasters either.

But it's not for you guys - it's for the new gen of Star Wars fans, many if not most under 20 and possibly never gamed much before. It's what happens to Star Wars and all big franchises every time they get kicked off or rebooted, are people going to tell me this didn't happen in the late 90s and early 2000s for Star Wars and Lord of the Ring (possibly then there was a lot more trading cards rather than ccg, but times change) ?

More
02 Aug 2016 00:18 - 02 Aug 2016 00:19 #231235 by Colorcrayons
Youre right.

I want a Wiz-War expansion.

Get your fuckin' priorities straight, FFG.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 00:19 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, drewcula, stoic

More
11 Aug 2016 11:02 #231810 by Ken B.
I am a massive, massive Star Wars fan. I've even watched the prequels since they've been in theaters. I'm hardcore.

I have ZERO fucking interest in this. Whatsoever.

More
04 Nov 2016 04:18 #237432 by Hex Sinister
So I watched a gameplay video on this and it actually looks pretty decent. The turns go back and forth so you take one action and pass to the opponent who then takes one action, repeat. The dice/cards hybrid seems interesting. Now I've never played a collectable dice game in my life and I have no idea how this compares to others but it looks fun. I just don't know how much coin I want to blow on a game like this. The price seems crazy - $86 for a booster box, discounted. If they were $50 online...

Well, somebody get a review copy already.

More
05 Dec 2016 09:49 #239822 by Msample
I played 3 games this past weekend

- each starter is enough for one side, so you need two starters to play $15 MSRP. So initial buy in is $30 .

- boosters are MSRP of $3 . Each comes with 5 cards and one die.

The card quality is OK, but the dice are these really big chunky embossed dice that blow Dicemasters away ( not saying much )

Even accounting for internet bulk pricing, the boosters especially are a big step from Dicemasters, the game it is often compared to on BGG, in terms of price point. To boot, given that there are 4 color coded classes of character cards, and certain attachments/weapons are playable only with that color. you probably need to buy 10-12 boosters to get enough variety that at the same time gives you cards playable with one another.

Game play wise, its got some interesting stuff. There is a built in timer in that each player only has 20 cards in their deck. The game ends by either killing both player characters, or forcing a card draw when the deck is empty. So games won't last long. Cards span both the original trilogy as well as Force Awakens, so plenty of content to mine.

On the flip side, the limitation of two characters per side both limit deckbuilding variety as well as don't have the same sense of theme as say Dicemasters. And the potential cost with boosters esp make it a serious cash drain. You don't get nearly the game play variety out of a starter pack as Dicemasters given you only get two characters per starter.

Finally, after so many releases of Dicemasters having supply problems, you think FFG would take an opportunity to carpet bomb the market place with this thing. I mean , when has anything Star Wars not been a hit ? But its already hard to find. Between this and the Arkham LCG release I do wonder if the Asmodee wizard behind the curtain is starting to make its presence felt. FFG has always run their supply chain pretty tight. Turning inventory fast can obviously be more profitable. But this IP for a Christmas time release ? Unless they feel choking supply will increase demand....but I dunno. I think that's a misguided philosophy in this day and age of cult of the new. A few years ago I played the Nations Dice game. Liked it enough to want to pick it up. But it was out of print. Now...I've lost the impulse to buy it. Granted, SW:D will be restocked way quicker than that. But I still think they should have either made a lot more, or even delayed release a bit in order to have more hit at once.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, OldHippy

More
05 Dec 2016 11:09 #239835 by southernman
So which do you prefer and why, I've never really got into collectable card or dice games so your comments have been interesting ?

More
05 Dec 2016 13:19 - 05 Dec 2016 13:23 #239854 by Msample
Overall I'd give the nod to Dicemasters, if only because you can get a decent amount of variety out a smaller up front investment. One could buy a starter set and a handful of boosters and get a lot of play out of it. SW:D, you'd need two starters, and the same handful of boosters - at a lot more money, would yield MAYBE 3-4 more characters. That's it. So for $50 you'd be looking at 6 different characters. Sure you can kit them out differently with the various attachments and what not, but still not a ton of overall variety.

I do like some of the game play elements in SW:D, namely the timer mechanic . Games will end within a pretty fixed amount of time. And they have a card cost associated, so you can build teams a la X Wing if you want. Who knows how well the costs are balanced, but its a nice touch.

But overall I'd give DM the nod, shitty quality dice and all.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2016 13:23 by Msample.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds