October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

AvP: The Hunt Begins....a Superfly Rant (TM)

More
29 Jul 2016 14:09 #231087 by SuperflyPete
OK, I get that it wants to be a higher-level miniatures game. But for the love of all things good and holy, why...

1. Is it a inverted D20 game?
2. Does it have crunchy as hell rules for EVERYTHING?
3. Does it have "occupation level" rules for tiles which require you to count the number of models by base size, multiply by value, and check to not exceed 8?
4. Does it have more icons on the character cards than even Earth Reborn?
5. Does it have Colonial Marines start the game as PINGS! (read: Space Hulk Blips by any other name)
6. AND SO MUCH MORE

TL; DR: Don't buy this game, except for the models which can be dropped into the actual Aliens game. Or unless you have house rules.

I'll be spending this weekend developing rules based on GOOD games, and cards which make sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2016 14:39 #231089 by charlest
Why do you buy bad games? This looked like a ton of trouble even when it was up on Kickstarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
29 Jul 2016 14:52 - 29 Jul 2016 14:55 #231092 by boothwah

charlest wrote: Why do you buy bad games? This looked like a ton of trouble even when it was up on Kickstarter.

''

Inorite - this sounds like a typical episode of Cops.

[Exterior of smelly man room. Two cops knock on the door]

Cop 1 : AVP we're coming in....we don't want any funny business

[Door opens and camera pans room. Mullet headed dude in LA Lakers sweatpants and an AVP wife beater tank top is sitting on a thrift store couch. Empty Busch cans are littered across the coffee table. A bong is clearly visible next to the TV tray in the background. Mullet head is not surprised the Cops are here and doesn't bother getting off the couch]

AVP : He started it....

Cop 1 : you just sit still and tell us what happened

[Camera cuts to a sobbing Pete by the cruiser parked in his driveway]

Cop 3 : Pete this is the third time we've been out here this year. We aren't going to keep doing this. You can't keep doing this...Are you gonna press charges?

Pete : sniff...But I love him...

[cut to interior of cruiser pulling away from the residence]

Cop 2 : It;s just sad really - We get called out here all the time - He keeps saying he's going to stop bringing bad games home, that he's done with overblown Kickstarter messes, that he's learned his lesson....Then we get called out again. I hope for his sake he gets out.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 14:55 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Columbob, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons, Erik Twice, charlest

More
29 Jul 2016 15:47 - 29 Jul 2016 15:48 #231098 by SuperflyPete
As noted before, Charlie - I wanted the models. I happened to see about the game, wanted to test it out, and while it's not bad, it's fucking DREADFUL. Got it for a total song in a trade. Guy opened the rules, his eyes glossed over, and he closed the box. Long story there, but basically, I traded him something really good for it, knowing I was getting that same something good back in a week in a different trade where the guy just wanted rid of it and took a couple of really shitty games for it.

Horse. Trading. Mother. F#@$@#$er - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->>
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 15:48 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
29 Jul 2016 15:51 - 29 Jul 2016 15:55 #231099 by charlest
I was interested in this when it went up on kickstarter but so many things about it seemed half assed. The fact that the corridor tiles don't event feature more than one set of art is ridiculous.

Prodos sucks.

I wasn't trying to make you feel bad Pete. Just concerned you thought this would be good.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 15:55 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, Colorcrayons

More
29 Jul 2016 18:06 #231117 by SuperflyPete
LMAO, no, hoping. As soon as I saw an IP problem notice at the KS site, I knew it would be a mess. All that known, I got it for the models, mainly. The world needs a decent Aliens game, and Predators are cool too. All I need to do is figure out how to make the tiles and bits work in a game that does what I want it to.

Thinking of making a simpler version of Wasteland Total Meltdown for it, making some cheapie cards by scanning in the art.

The models are fantastic, FWIW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
29 Jul 2016 18:58 #231118 by Dogmatix

SuperflyTNT wrote: The world needs a decent Aliens game, and Predators are cool too. All I need to do is figure out how to make the tiles and bits work in a game that does what I want it to.

Step (1) : Go on ebay and buy yourself a copy of the Leading Edge Aliens game with Expansion. You now will experience the only decent Aliens game the world has ever known
Step (2): Go on some random-ass torrent site and download a PDF cache of Citadel Journals and decide which sort of force you'll proxy in Space Hulk using the aliens...some sort of Deathwatch Kill Team would probably be good. This should scratch that "game you want it to [be]" itch.
Step (3): ...
Step (4): [Emotionally] PROFIT!
;-)

Ok, so smart-ass-ery aside, any clue if the Aliens models be workable in the old Aliens game? LE used to sell metal minis, but they're, if anything, even harder to find and as or more expensive than the game itself, not to mention 1986-grade white metal quality to begin with. Marines are easy to proxy (about a million different ways/scales/loadouts/whatever, too), but the aliens are Aliens, damnit, and proxy-by-old 'nid-models just doesn't quite work for me....

More
29 Jul 2016 20:04 #231122 by SuperflyPete
Our own Dave Roswell has the base and expansion, and I've played it before. Yes, it rocks. Sadly it's made to be solo and I'm not big on solo games.

The mini's, however, are dynamite and would work perfectly, scale-wise

More
29 Jul 2016 20:07 #231123 by SuperflyPete
As an aside, as much as I am anti/dip I did my Tyranids using it and ended up with the perfect "dripping slime" effect that I hope to be able to replicate.

More
30 Jul 2016 04:56 #231131 by Sevej
If I want Alien minis, Khurasan has all the not-Aliens stuff, albeit in 15mm.. Cheaper, more compact.

More
30 Jul 2016 10:48 #231133 by SuperflyPete
Yeah, I like their models but the scale doesn't work for any of my terrain. :(

More
30 Jul 2016 22:05 #231147 by Sevej
Ah, yes, that... totally understandable.

More
31 Jul 2016 09:50 #231156 by SuperflyPete
Funny thing is that I have like 50 of their 15mm modern military guys for game prototyping. I glued them to 0.4" wooden discs for bases.

More
31 Jul 2016 17:47 #231173 by Colorcrayons
The game is dumb as hell. Like mega ridiculous. This is definitely a case where they made a game to wrap around awesome minis. A poor game.

I'm glad I skipped the kickstarter. So glad. I did end up picking up some boxes of marines and aliens for space hulk. At a discount even. The praetorian makes a good broodlord stand in. Id prefer the queen for thematic purposes, but its a bit big for 40mm spaces. It could work, just awkward positioning her.

Space hulk or gws space crusade is the only games I have been able to fit them in with. Lost patrol could work too, but predators would be a better match for that theme. Id use the old leading edge aliens rules, but I like the quiet simplicity of space hulk, despite much respect for leading edge's design.

Good luck finding or making a game to use them in.

More
31 Jul 2016 17:49 #231174 by SuperflyPete
Leading Edge Alien is the King Shit, for real. I think I have some board scans lying around somewhere...

But I think I may just use the Wasteland rules and have the Aliens immune to any morale checks.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds