October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Star Trek: Ascendancy

More
15 Aug 2016 13:00 #232034 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
That's where I'm at. The 2P thing doesn't bother me since there's basically one guy who wants to play this kind of game with me, and that's it. Others can be arm-twisted into it, but basically, my main group has kind of evolved into pseudo-gamer's-gamers, where most of the games we play are exceedingly fast, light-ish, and can be played by people who would not ordinarily be able to pass a field sobriety test due to marijuana or alcohol intoxication. It sucks for me, because I'm the one who would play three games of War of the Ring back to back, and I'm now resigned to play that kind of game once in a blue moon, while playing Tiny Epic Galaxies or Eight Minute Empires all the time.

So, this game would rock, but Fleet Captains is probably going to be as far as I go with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2016 13:30 #232037 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy

SuperflyTNT wrote: That's where I'm at. The 2P thing doesn't bother me since there's basically one guy who wants to play this kind of game with me, and that's it. Others can be arm-twisted into it, but basically, my main group has kind of evolved into pseudo-gamer's-gamers, where most of the games we play are exceedingly fast, light-ish, and can be played by people who would not ordinarily be able to pass a field sobriety test due to marijuana or alcohol intoxication. It sucks for me, because I'm the one who would play three games of War of the Ring back to back, and I'm now resigned to play that kind of game once in a blue moon, while playing Tiny Epic Galaxies or Eight Minute Empires all the time.

I feel your pain. My usual local opponent , while sober, can't digest a rulebook in advance. So anything heavy is usually out of the question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Aug 2016 14:42 #232043 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
I get "So, what can I do again? And how do I do that?" EVERY FUCKING TURN.

I can't do it anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Cranberries, Msample, Varys

More
15 Aug 2016 15:05 #232047 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Looks like a good game but capped at 3 really hurts. The line for long 2- (or 3-) player games forms at the back.

I'm also still pissed at them for not giving one fucking expansion to WWE Showdown before pulling the plug.

More
15 Aug 2016 15:13 - 15 Aug 2016 15:16 #232050 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
How does 2p, did any of you with it do a 2p game?

I have this weird thing where my regular long games opponent knows only one strategy in every game and it's pure military. It's odd but actually not the worst---it's a cool test of DOAM/4x/civ games I have to see if it can outmaneuver a blood soaked madman using some non-military strategy.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2016 15:16 by Gary Sax.

More
15 Aug 2016 15:18 #232051 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy

Ken B. wrote: I'm also still pissed at them for not giving one fucking expansion to WWE Showdown before pulling the plug.

I completely agree. I've really enjoyed this game and was hoping even just for a figure pack expansion or two. I don't really care for the new wrestlers, but would have instant buys on 80s Legacy and 90/00 Attitude era packs.

More
15 Aug 2016 15:29 #232054 by Ken B.

Jarvis wrote:

Ken B. wrote: I'm also still pissed at them for not giving one fucking expansion to WWE Showdown before pulling the plug.

I completely agree. I've really enjoyed this game and was hoping even just for a figure pack expansion or two. I don't really care for the new wrestlers, but would have instant buys on 80s Legacy and 90/00 Attitude era packs.

My thing is just getting 8 wrestlers in the game at a minimum. The game is set up for legacy-style play, and being able to do King of the Ring and wrestling cards with at least four fucking matches would have been nice.

The stuff would sell itself--Zayn vs. Owens duel pack; Rollins/Ambrose Good Friends, Better Enemies; Legends packs...oh man, the sky would have been the limit there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis

More
15 Aug 2016 15:36 #232055 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
This was the biggest Gen Con for GF9 in terms of sales. I wonder if this has them re-evaluating the type of IP they gun for down the line. I could see them totally abandoning the kind of geek-obscure stuff like Homeland/Sons of Anarchy and we never see another release in a similar vein again.

Still hope we get their Black Sails game eventually but I doubt it now. One of the designers mentioned some kind of D&D adventure game awhile back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

More
15 Aug 2016 15:48 #232058 by Gary Sax
I must admit that the flip side, having LEGIT design on big licenses, is also welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest, JEM

More
15 Aug 2016 16:22 #232059 by Michael Barnes
I think this game will be GF9's FFG moment, sort of their level up. It's their biggest and most ambitious game to date and it seems like, so far, their best. Including Spartacus.

Did exactly what I said I would last with a group of 6, handed three Mansions of Madness and told 'em to get the app. Other two and I did ST:A. Very much a learning game, lots of feeling it out so there weren't any massive conflicts and advancement choices were tentative. I played Federation and focused on exploration- the factions DO sort of direct you to/away from certain activities/strategies, but I think it feels pretty balanced and even if you are going all military, you have no choice but to concentrate resources on science and culture as well. There is a lot of interdependency built in.

For example, I wanted to go total white hat. Even entered a trade agreement with the Klingons. But he had a lightbulb moment when we both had fleets in one system. I wanted to hegemonize but decided to wait. the Klingons bumped up their weapons tech and assured me we were cool. But he had designs on the planet, and to invade it he wild have to take out my fleet first. So he did, trade agreement canceled, and then he took over. So then I had to focus on some military advances since he had an avenue to raid/maraud/invade my holdings. And prevent my fleets from moving.

I wound up winning (about 4 hours) despite the Romulan player lucking out while exploring a few times and buying two ascendancy points early in the game. He stalled out, not really pushing oiut enough and playing a more isolated game focused on advancement. Klingon player kind of lost his nerve fighting me and by the time he started attacking the Romulans it was too late.

They both agreed that the game was awesome, these dudes are big 4x players. One of our longest running jokes is declaring that you are someone's "Starcraft buddy", going back to a game of that we played in 2008. Needless to say, the guy playing Klingons made sure to call me his Starcraft buddy after that betrayal.

Definitely GOTY shortlster. The 3 player deal is severe and it is a long game, but the trade off is one of the best 4xs out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Columbob, JEM

More
15 Aug 2016 17:18 #232062 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy

charlest wrote: This was the biggest Gen Con for GF9 in terms of sales. I wonder if this has them re-evaluating the type of IP they gun for down the line. I could see them totally abandoning the kind of geek-obscure stuff like Homeland/Sons of Anarchy and we never see another release in a similar vein again.

Interesting observation. I really like Sons of Anarchy, but tend to have a tough time getting it on the table because most of my friends have zero interest in the show's biker gang setting.

More
15 Aug 2016 21:38 #232079 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
What about for those of us who have zero Star Trek interest?

More
16 Aug 2016 09:09 #232102 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Rogue One, BAY-BEE!

More
16 Aug 2016 10:01 #232112 by Ken B.

Shellhead wrote:

charlest wrote: This was the biggest Gen Con for GF9 in terms of sales. I wonder if this has them re-evaluating the type of IP they gun for down the line. I could see them totally abandoning the kind of geek-obscure stuff like Homeland/Sons of Anarchy and we never see another release in a similar vein again.

Interesting observation. I really like Sons of Anarchy, but tend to have a tough time getting it on the table because most of my friends have zero interest in the show's biker gang setting.

I've never watched a single episode of the show. I rarely have trouble selling it to folks as a game where you run drugs, guns, make money, and shoot people. That is the definition of fun in a box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, charlest

More
24 Aug 2016 11:30 #232724 by Gary Sax
Yo, anyone played this more? 2p?

I thought about putting it in a preorder but it's competing with another dumb size tranche of Armada ships which will probably win out.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds