October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Zimby Mojo Dedicated Thread

More
16 Aug 2016 11:28 #232127 by Gary Sax
Here's our previous thread with the Barnes review:

fortressat.com/forum/article-discussions...zimby-mojo-in-review

Stickering this right now, thought I'd start a dedicated thread since a lot of non-Barnes people are going to start getting plays in. Would love to hear their experiences. It fucking cracks me up that this is 8 player in the box. This game must be fucking WILD with 8 players.

Something else that struck me as I was stickering it is that it looks quite good, component and artwise. Honestly, Shadows of Malice looks pretty good too. It reminded me of the conversation you guys were having about the horrid art design in Defenders of the Last Stand and Defenders of the Realm. Felli gets away with a lot with very little. Even his goofy illustrations of the zimbies on the stickers set the tone for the game (mischevious, a little nasty).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2016 11:45 #232131 by SuperflyPete
My copy will be here Thursday. Can't wait.

More
16 Aug 2016 12:58 #232152 by hotseatgames
The components are great, yes. I've played it twice solo and won both times. Looking through the deck of scroll cards, I can see lots of nastiness happening in multiplayer. I can't even imagine anyone winning with 8 players. My guess is it overstays its welcome with that many, but I'd certainly try it.

I can't wait to try it with some other players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Aug 2016 14:48 #232175 by Dan Thurot
I've played it with 8, and it was insane. Didn't overstay its welcome, though I can see how that might happen. When somebody finally wrestled the crown away from the crowd, they hopped into a portal and by sheer luck popped out closer to their base, dropped a trap behind them, then burned mojo and chowed down on zimbies until they brought it home, dodging two interrupting witcheries en route. Everyone at that table was on their feet screaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, hotseatgames

More
16 Aug 2016 15:34 #232181 by Shellhead
I have been reading the rules, and the game looks mechanically very solid. However, the resolution of a stack of card and damage effects looked like it could get really messy in a big game. And this is probably not a good game to play with indecisive players, due to the mojo effectively serving as action points.

More
28 Aug 2016 01:24 #232923 by hotseatgames
Tonight was my first multiplayer game of this. We had 3 players. By the time I explained the rules they were a bit glassy-eyed, but that's how it goes; there are a lot of rules in this game.

One friend and I teamed up early on and removed two wards that were protecting the King. The other player proceeded to create 2 zombies that shambled about, causing havoc. The King was largely ineffectual and died on round 4. From that point on, things got crazy. The crown passed back and forth between all of us at one point or another; I lost most of my zimbies and had to spend a couple of turns just re-stocking, which really set me back. I did have a zombie marching around causing trouble. This stage of the game started to drag a bit, but eventually someone managed to have enough mojo to get back to his tribal board, ending the game. Everyone wants to play it again, with a couple more players. I think 5 would be the max I'd want to play with, otherwise it would never end.

My thoughts at this point are that the cards are awesome. There are so many varied effects, and it was hilarious when someone spent mojo to steal a card from another player and he got a blank scroll for his trouble. The zombies are also awesome. Even if you don't think it will help you win, MAKE A ZOMBIE OR TWO. They add hilarity.

The game is actually much more strategic than I thought it would be. It is not as crazy as Wiz-War.

More
30 Aug 2016 08:34 - 30 Aug 2016 08:37 #233042 by san il defanso
We played last night! I told them a rule wrong, that you could only move a column once. It turns out that's the exact opposite of what you can do, so once we figured out that mojo was the only thing stopping you from moving as much as you want, the game opened way up. I goofed a couple off other rules too, like not charging people wounds for chilling in the blood mist, and not really assigning the crown correctly.

Everyone seemed kind of undecided while the game was going on, but once the king died and people started falling over themselves to grab the crown I think it went over well. The post-mortem was largely positive. Four of the five of us had played Shadows of Malice, and we all agreed that this is the easier game to get into. Even though there are a lot of rules to digest, Zimby Mojo is more the kind of game you can learn as you go along, without as much overhead. It also is less demanding on the player to buy what it's selling. It's visually a bit richer, and also just is not as choked with modifiers and difficult concepts. I'm not sure I'd directly call it better than Felli's first design, but it might come to that.

The most interesting thing is that, like on Shadows of Malice, the scope of what you can do on a turn is larger than you think. But after a couple of turns the many uses of mojo become more internalized, and the game requires less thought about "what can I do" than I expected. It generates its own sense of logic, which is really fascinating. And because of that it's not nearly as difficult to learn as I feared.

It's more tactical than you think too. It really rewards creative play, which I just love.

So yeah, quite positive at first, especially upon reflection. This might end up as one of my favorites of the year.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2016 08:37 by san il defanso.

More
30 Aug 2016 08:39 #233043 by Gary Sax
I was going to ask you how it was, saw on social media you played it.

More
30 Aug 2016 08:51 #233046 by xthexlo
Replied by xthexlo on topic Zimby Mojo Dedicated Thread
Once you get the hang of the game, I recommend using the accelerated rules and starting with 8 zimbies and 6 cards each, in case you haven't done that yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
30 Aug 2016 09:01 #233048 by san il defanso

xthexlo wrote: Once you get the hang of the game, I recommend using the accelerated rules and starting with 8 zimbies and 6 cards each, in case you haven't done that yet.

We actually did this last night. It didn't bog us down, but I can see it working that way for others. But yeah, I don't think I would need the "longer" version.

One of the best aspects of the game is the resource management. You have a lot of flexibility in how you can get mojo, especially with the ability to extract from zimbies in your tribe. It's actually super-important to have enough zimbies in your tribal board to give yourself the ability to respond on your turn. Really interesting bit of design there.

More
30 Aug 2016 09:47 #233055 by hotseatgames
We played with the accelerated rules. I think it's good to just hit the ground running, rather than spend several turns with people doing nothing but creating zimbies.

More
30 Aug 2016 09:56 #233056 by SuperflyPete
I like the way you can set up combinations, sort of like a domino effect where you set up your power play a couple turns back and when all your dudes are in place, you can make a "grand reveal" type sequence of moves which surprises everyone.

More
08 Sep 2016 11:30 #233591 by xthexlo
In case it interests anyone, the street date for Zimby Mojo has been set for 20 September 2016.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Frohike

More
08 Sep 2016 19:34 #233634 by Cranberries

xthexlo wrote: In case it interests anyone, the street date for Zimby Mojo has been set for 20 September 2016.

I look forward to when this game trickles down to us common folk!

The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
20 Sep 2016 07:44 #234592 by xthexlo
Today is the day! Zimby Mojo is available in stores today. Release the zimbies!
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, SuperflyPete, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds