October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Selling a bunch of Heroscape- advice wanted

More
11 Sep 2016 13:07 #233928 by Jexik
Moved in with the fiancée a couple of months ago into a modest apartment. Space and money are concerns, so a big chunk of my Heroscape stuff is gonna get sold over the next couple weeks. There's a lot that I've not played in awhile, so it won't particularly be missed; I'll be sure to keep some so I can still play occasionally. I also have some rare stuff, including some that is unopened. Right now, I'm just in the stage of organizing it all and putting complete squads with their cards in sealable sandwich bags. Beyond "lol, just give it all to me," I'd like some advice from you guys because some of you regularly pare down your collections of games and might know what it's like from a heroscape buyers' perspective.

Should I go to eBay? I've never really had an active account. Do people still care a ton about your reputation % or whatever? Would it be best to do smaller items first to boost that up? Is there another website that you'd recommend?

If you've sold stuff like this in the past, is it best do bundles, or is breaking it all up worth it? I suppose that's kind of an income question. I've got some of the rarer stuff like flagbearers and promos- those are definitely getting sold on their own.

From the other end, would you want stuff parted out hero-by-hero, squad by squad, so you could get just the figure that you wanted? Should I put figures together as they were originally sold and list the name of the pack? (i.e. Heroes of X, Wave Y, and list the 5 heroes). Or would it be cool to get a box that just had a big ass samurai or viper army in it?

This might end up feeling like a part time job for a bit, but I think it'll be worth it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2016 13:24 - 11 Sep 2016 14:27 #233929 by Mr. White
For selling, I tend to use ebay last to avoid their fees. I tend to do transactions through PayPal so there's some fees there already, so I avoid getting double downed by ebay if possible.

I usually try here first, then maybe a relevant facebook group or online forum (heroscapers.com)

The main advantage of selling here is that I have a lot of faith in our members. Payment is usually with the 'money sent to family/friends' option so there's nothing taken out and the recipient gets the full payment. At least, I think that's right...

As far as selling, parcing it out will net you more money but is a lot more work...you have to decide how much hassle you want.

Good luck either way, but be sure to let us know what you've got. I'm sure plenty of us would be interested.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2016 14:27 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
11 Sep 2016 13:43 #233930 by Frohike
Late to the Heroscape party and I'm very interested.

Also, everything Mr White said. Ebay has usually been a last resort for me because of the fees, but I don't have experience selling large lots or collections.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
11 Sep 2016 14:50 - 11 Sep 2016 14:55 #233932 by Jexik
I'm still organizing it all, and then I'll ask the 6-year-old which stuff he wants to keep most. I probably won't even let him know that the expensive stuff in large hero pack 3 (Aquilla's Alliance) exists.

One reason I didn't open it up here right away is that I'm the guy who never (still hasn't) gotten Space Ghost his stuff from secret satan. I still intend to try to give him something fun and cool. There's a box of stuff sitting in my closet that I plan to get put together nicely and ship at the same time I start doing all of this stuff. The only other trade I've made with a F:ATtie was when I made the most lopsided and poorly timed trade with "Superfly" Pete in the history of Ameritrash.*

Christmas and a bunch of the following months were pretty rough, if you want to know. If you don't, skip this part.

Warning: Spoiler!

*I traded Pete a Descent 1E lot with everything sans maybe some promos and Road to Legend for his Avalon Hill Nexus Ops. This was about two months before FFG announced not only that they would be making a 2nd, sleeker edition of Descent, but also that they'd be reprinting Nexus Ops. I keep telling myself that I got the better version and that my friends would still hate playing Descent.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2016 14:55 by Jexik.

More
11 Sep 2016 15:32 #233933 by Michael Barnes
I might be interested in some pieces.

More
11 Sep 2016 17:37 #233938 by stoic

More
11 Sep 2016 20:21 #233946 by Jexik
Yeah, I probably should have thought of that, but I never really went to the Trade forums when I was active. One guy made a spreadsheet of his collection that might help me price things out since he already did the work...

And now I went and spent a good hour flipping through posts and reminiscing.

More
11 Sep 2016 20:53 #233950 by SebastianBludd
Considering convenience vs. profit, your best bet would probably be private sales on Heroscapers, or some other forum. Do some eBay research - search sold auctions - to see what your stuff is worth (or copy other peoples' prices on Heroscapers if they're close to what you want to get) and then list them at eBay prices, minus what eBay would have charged you for fees ( here is a no-frills fee calculator, just ignore the Paypal value).

The drawback is that you'll probably have to price everything per squad and per hero - which means more work - since most people like to purchase a la carte, but you'll probably end up selling more items to fewer individuals which will save you a lot of time in the long run.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
11 Sep 2016 23:26 #233957 by Colorcrayons
As a person who sold his collection on eBay a few years ago, I'd say avoid it. There are a lot of shiesters on the buying end of eBay.
Last resort is putting it mildly.

I'd sell on Heroscapers or Craigslist. Ivebhad great experience an with both.

Heroscapers is a decent bet and likely the best method if you can spare the time.

Not many are willing to buy entire collections, unless they turn around and flip them for profit.

Part it out piecemeal. Its more time consuming, but you'll get the best returns and the stuff will likely go to those who'll use it rather than flip it.

I may even be in the market to buy a gew things myself, since the spawn has been eyeballing my collection pretty hard and playing it often.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Jexik, stoic

More
12 Sep 2016 19:51 - 12 Sep 2016 19:52 #234053 by Jexik

SebastianBludd wrote: The drawback is that you'll probably have to price everything per squad and per hero - which means more work - since most people like to purchase a la carte, but you'll probably end up selling more items to fewer individuals which will save you a lot of time in the long run.

I've already been bagging it up per hero and squad, so that won't be a huge problem. Even with the stuff I keep, I think it will save a lot of the hassle. "Oh those guys?! I think they're in this bin. Hmm... trying to find all 4 figures in the squad... now where did I leave my cards?"

The initial work of putting it all in bags does kind of take some time though. I'm less than halfway through.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2016 19:52 by Jexik.

More
13 Sep 2016 00:56 #234082 by Space Ghost
By all means, you should sell your stuff here -- don't worry about SS, real life happens sometimes; I was just glad that you communicated with me (I had been ignored in SS 2 times in the past). In my opinion, SS is supposed to be about the AT detritus that floats about than any new game or something on someone's wishlist.

Good luck on the sale!

More
15 Sep 2016 13:38 #234327 by fastbilly1
To echo the others, I am also interested in seeing a list. Either here or on heroscapers.

More
15 Sep 2016 14:19 #234329 by stoic
Yep, post a list here. I'm interested in picking up some squads etc.

More
25 Sep 2016 11:20 - 25 Sep 2016 11:20 #234938 by Jexik
I've been chugging away at bagging stuff. Hopefully I'll get a list up some time this week.

How would you guys like for it to be organized?

By wave? I'm leaning towards this. If you're familiar with the order stuff came out, it'll be easy to find stuff this way. I'll probably put multiple 'spoiler' tags so the whole thing doesn't take up a crazy amount of room on apage.

Or would some other way of dividing it up make more sense? General? Genre, etc.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 11:20 by Jexik.

More
26 Sep 2016 16:02 #235004 by fastbilly1
Typically people list by either waves or by general. Waves being the more common.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds