October 09, 2023
2499 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dungeon saga or silver tower?

More
30 Sep 2016 11:08 #235249 by Michael Barnes
You guys do realize that there is no Star Trek-themed Ascension, right? _Ascendancy_ is
A 4x...definitely no shoehorning or deck building in it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2016 11:08 #235250 by Gary Sax
lol, my fault.

More
30 Sep 2016 11:38 #235252 by Michael Barnes
I love that they just went with it.

More
30 Sep 2016 12:38 #235254 by jay718

Michael Barnes wrote: You guys do realize that there is no Star Trek-themed Ascension, right? _Ascendancy_ is

Ascendancy is what I meant. Very excited to play.

More
30 Sep 2016 12:41 #235255 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I went to preorder it when the thread was hot and coolstuff was out of initial copies. Hoping to get it when it comes back in stock again.

Ferengi expansion looks really cool, but we can talk about that in the dedicated thread.

More
30 Sep 2016 14:27 #235260 by RabidWookie

Michael Barnes wrote: You guys do realize that there is no Star Trek-themed Ascension, right? _Ascendancy_ is

My apologies, typo, going on 3 hours sleep and delirious with excitement for my $65 copy of Silver Tower to arrive.

More
01 Oct 2016 02:21 #235292 by Colorcrayons
I decided that for the family game, I would go with Dungeon Saga.

While I will need the adventurer's expansion to get the most options from the game, I like where it heads towards. This seems like the real sand box dungeon crawler I've been seeking, after research and your helpful input. I hope it works as well in practice.

I have enough of the d&d floor tiles (great product by the way) to supplement or even outright replace the Ds boards.

Too bad I missed the great deal on silver tower last night. I would have bought both and used silver tower as something to explore later as a more refined experience once everyone has tasted the basics of ds first.

More
01 Oct 2016 09:04 #235294 by drewcula
Damn.
On one hand, I'm super bummed I missed the eBay offer on Thursday. Hell, I've been selling a lot of gamer crap on eBay this week (seller: wodzianski), and someone - I missed that $15 off promotion. Had I seen it, I would have bought Silver Tower too.
On the other hand, I don't need another dungeon crawler. Right?! But really, I think it's because I'm scared of going down the GW rabbit hole. My OCD behavior would make me go on a quest for everything ST, and that's a path I should probably steer clear.
On my third hand - ST does look awesome. I may prefer more generic fantasy that the ST light trip fantastic. But I may also just be looking for another excuse...

Regarding Dungeon Saga, I've been thinking about it a lot this week. Four adventures on Monday, followed by a lot of internet chatter regarding a new "rules committee," updated rules in conjunction with Star Saga, and one particular fan's vitriol. The pissed off gamer has a litany of complaints agains the game, Mantic, and the Kickstarter. I never paid it much attention, as I was relatively happy with my KS bundle. But I dug a little deeper and read his criticism. Wow, it's lengthy and not necessarily wrong. I just don't get too frustrated with it, as much of the complaint rests in the mis-aligned DS "Adventurer's Companion."
If anybody wants to read this guy's dissertation of hate, let me know. I'll invite you to Facebook's 'Dungeon Saga Fanatics.'

I also spent some time chatting with the board game reviewer that Stoic posted a link too. Nice chap, and his videos are wildly thorough. Too much for my tastes, but there's no argument he goes the extra mile explaining stuff. Maybe an editor? Anyway, I did some back and forth with about Dungeon Saga. Here's my distilled (and slightly repetitive) take-away, as I'm about to spend my morning stuck in house (cause it's raining, and I'm procrastinating on studio work):

"I'd suggest that your glasses are rose colored regarding HeroQuest. I'm a HeroQuest fanatic, and unabashedly adore the game. It was an introductory dungeon crawler in 1989, and while the many expansions did their best to introduce new elements - it remains a simple exercise. Player progression was rubbish, and rolling for movement was problematic. The HQ core box may have contained 14 quests, but they varied in size and scope and gimmicks.

Dungeon Saga's promotion did not hide it's HeroQuest lineage. It's a light weight dungeon crawler.

While Dungeon Saga did not cite Descent as inspiration, it does clearly market itself towards that shelf space. Descent and Dungeon Saga are both MSRP 80 USD. The components and quality are roughly the same.

Mantic's scale and aesthetics may not be your cup of tea, but it's consistent throughout their range and the Dungeon Saga minis are compatible with their Kings of War.

I feel Dungeon Saga is an odd hybrid. Not perfect, but worthy of play if a few parameters fit the play group. I'd recommend it to gamers that want: better combat than HeroQuest or Mice & Mystics, less crunchy rules than Descent, and more traditional fantasy tropes than Silver Tower.

No argument on those plastic clips. Those are rubbish. I switched over to a roll of shelf liner, and have never looked back. The text on the cards are too small for my relatively healthy eyes. I also don't care for the illustrations, though the box cover illustration is great."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, stoic

More
01 Oct 2016 10:46 #235297 by RabidWookie
I don't understand why nobody else has made a dungeon crawler with 3D terrain (bookshelves, etc) that are a part of the gameplay. I wish Mantic would take it a step further and have secret passages, items hidden in bookshelves, moveable terrain to position cover, really go over the top with it. That and a great character advancement system would make me buy DS in a heartbeat.

More
01 Oct 2016 20:57 - 01 Oct 2016 20:57 #235301 by wkover

RabidWookie wrote: I don't understand why nobody else has made a dungeon crawler with 3D terrain (bookshelves, etc) that are a part of the gameplay. I wish Mantic would take it a step further and have secret passages, items hidden in bookshelves, moveable terrain to position cover, really go over the top with it.

Your wish is my command.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2016 20:57 by wkover. Reason: More commanding

More
03 Oct 2016 11:58 #235397 by Mr. White

Wetworks wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

Wetworks wrote: I just ordered Silver Tower on Ebay for $65 shipped. Use code CFLASHSAVE15NOW to save $15 on an order over $60.

Hopefully it's as good as everyone says it is, I wasn't going to pick it up but at this price I think it's worth it.

Coupon ends 10pst today.

Where'd you hear about this coupon?

I now have Silver Tower inbound...

It was advertised on the Ebay front page when I logged in.

So, how'd this work? I guess Ebay added $15 to our amount in payment to the sellers.
This was a good deal, and didn't see it on my own. Does it happen frequently? Should I always go to the Ebay front page when first when going to that site?

More
03 Oct 2016 12:05 - 03 Oct 2016 12:06 #235398 by Wetworks

Mr. White wrote:

Wetworks wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

Wetworks wrote: I just ordered Silver Tower on Ebay for $65 shipped. Use code CFLASHSAVE15NOW to save $15 on an order over $60.

Hopefully it's as good as everyone says it is, I wasn't going to pick it up but at this price I think it's worth it.

Coupon ends 10pst today.

Where'd you hear about this coupon?

I now have Silver Tower inbound...

It was advertised on the Ebay front page when I logged in.

So, how'd this work? I guess Ebay added $15 to our amount in payment to the sellers.
This was a good deal, and didn't see it on my own. Does it happen frequently? Should I always go to the Ebay front page when first when going to that site?

It was a flash sale by Ebay, it's not that common. It's sort of being in the right place at the right time. I just got a tracking number from the seller, should be delivered sometime this week from USPS.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2016 12:06 by Wetworks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds