October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Premium Shelf Toads

More
18 Oct 2016 09:27 #236379 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Premium Shelf Toads
I thought about selling Space Hulk and buying Mechs and Minions, then realized I would just be toad-swapping. I'm going to buy a guitar instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Colorcrayons, engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2016 10:08 #236382 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Premium Shelf Toads
In addition to DOA2 I am often tempted by Xia, which I think would just be on this list. I've also been tempted to get a bunch of new Talisman but, again. I already have the 2e which sees no play.

More
18 Oct 2016 10:20 #236384 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Premium Shelf Toads
Duel of Ages II over here as well. That's such a great game, but it requires a lot of overhead to make it really pay off. I'm never getting rid of it, but I doubt I'll ever play it as much as I want to.

Almost every two-player game butts up against shelf toad territory for me, and Space Hulk is on that list. That one is a little better than most, since at least my kids really enjoy it. Star Wars Rebellion is also going to end up there I fear. I've played twice and really love it, but I've struggled to get it to the table since this summer.

Merchants & Marauders is one I've struggled to get played since I've moved to Texas. I even have the expansion, which I've only played once. I love that game, but different audiences like different games more. In Kansas City it was Merchants & Marauders, here it's Merchant of Venus. Interesting how that happens.

For as much Talisman as I own, one would think it would be a big ol' shelf toad. But it actually is EXTREMELY popular with my friends here. I don't know what I did to get that, but I'm thankful either way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Nodens

More
18 Oct 2016 10:29 #236388 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Premium Shelf Toads
San, we should coordinate. I'll drive to Dallas some weekend and we can get two stupid long premium toads in or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
18 Oct 2016 10:53 #236389 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Premium Shelf Toads
So should Trashfest be renamed Toadfest in honor of all these games that only get played at conventions ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, boothwah

More
18 Oct 2016 10:55 #236390 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Premium Shelf Toads
My Descent 1e stuff used to fall into this category until I traded it back in 2011 or so. Aside from that I'd say it's my Heroscape stuff, but that still gets played occasionally and I am looking to pare it down soon. Over the last few years I've only bought a few titles a year, and those are usually games that I've played before and I know will get played with friends and family.

I've not played my X-Wing as much as I would like, but that would be every day if I could. I still use it a couple times a month. I need to set some squadrons up ahead of time so that we can just slap stuff on the table and go. With the combo of a 6-year old who likes Star Wars and a 15-month old labrador that chews on anything plastic that you leave on the floor overnight... it's a risky proposition to leave anything out for any length of time.

More
18 Oct 2016 11:08 #236394 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Premium Shelf Toads
I picked up Tabletop Simulator on Steam since it's on sale. Maybe I can play some toads online.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, JEM

More
18 Oct 2016 13:00 #236400 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Premium Shelf Toads

hotseatgames wrote: I picked up Tabletop Simulator on Steam since it's on sale. Maybe I can play some toads online.

Oh, now you're talking about STEAM toads! My enormous library, let me show you it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Frohike, Feelitmon

More
18 Oct 2016 13:51 #236403 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Premium Shelf Toads

hotseatgames wrote: I picked up Tabletop Simulator on Steam since it's on sale. Maybe I can play some toads online.

From a total non-Steam (or any online gaming site/system) person is this what my lad may have been using with his mates when they played Eldritch Horror one day ?

More
18 Oct 2016 14:39 #236407 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Premium Shelf Toads

Southernman wrote:

From a total non-Steam (or any online gaming site/system) person is this what my lad may have been using with his mates when they played Eldritch Horror one day ?

Its a virtual table where you still do everything manually like you would at a real table. Using your mouse to pick up cards, move pieces around, roll dice, etc.

More
18 Oct 2016 15:09 #236409 by hotseatgames

Southernman wrote: From a total non-Steam (or any online gaming site/system) person is this what my lad may have been using with his mates when they played Eldritch Horror one day ?

Quite likely. There is a VAST selection of games available, but as mentioned, you still run everything yourself. There is no "AI" doing anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Oct 2016 15:57 #236413 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Premium Shelf Toads

hotseatgames wrote:

Southernman wrote: From a total non-Steam (or any online gaming site/system) person is this what my lad may have been using with his mates when they played Eldritch Horror one day ?

Quite likely. There is a VAST selection of games available, but as mentioned, you still run everything yourself. There is no "AI" doing anything.

Is it a full emulator or does someone have to be either full or part time moderator ? And does the system control everything including providing and tracking all info or can people cheat thus needing a bit of an honour system ?

More
18 Oct 2016 16:19 #236414 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Premium Shelf Toads
From what I've seen, and used (messing with Shadows of Brimstone) it's just a virtual table with pieces and a way have decks of cards, bags of tokens, etc. I think there might be some more managed/scripted content but a lot of it is just virtual cardboard.

More
18 Oct 2016 16:34 #236418 by hotseatgames
Like he said... some games seem to have some scripting behind them to handle certain bookkeeping tasks. But for the most part it's just a way to connect with your friends on the internet around a virtual table and move some pieces around. As long as you know how to play the game / have the rule book / scenario guides, you can manage to do quite a lot, I imagine.

I instantly became the proud owner of the entirety of Heroscape, digitally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
19 Oct 2016 02:27 #236448 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Premium Shelf Toads
The ultimate shelf toad for me:

Ogre: Designer's Edition

It's like the mastodon of shelf toads. It even exceeds the concept of shelves.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds