October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk: Dune (or Rex)

More
10 Aug 2017 16:25 #252336 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk: Dune (or Rex)

Shellhead wrote: I'm not familiar with this sietch blocking tactic. Where in the rules does it say that only one combat per turn can be resolved in a sietch? I have the original AH edition.

The only unthematic rule in the game in my opinion is the one about paying spice to support troops in combat. Spice is really expensive in the books, you wouldn't just dole it out to an army like rations.

Never mind about the sietch blocking. I see that you can't ship or move tokens into a stronghold that is already occupied by two other players. I guess I learned a house rule long ago and just assumed that it was official.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2017 19:55 #252345 by Da Bid Dabid
A question to those championing Rex. What is the best way to clean up the vomit around the table and convince people to play after you unfold the map for the first time?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, DukeofChutney, Unicron

More
10 Aug 2017 22:07 #252346 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk: Dune (or Rex)

Da Bid Dabid wrote: A question to those championing Rex. What is the best way to clean up the vomit around the table and convince people to play after you unfold the map for the first time?

The Rex board looks like an odd expansion to Arkham Horror. I understand that FFG couldn't use the map of Arrakis, but I wish that they had stuck to the basic concept of a planetary map divided into sections.

More
12 Aug 2017 00:51 #252396 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk: Dune (or Rex)

Oatmeal wrote: Vlad, after playing more Dune AND Rex lately, I really get your point about Rex being more playable. I remember your claims about that standing out to me before, but I really get it now.

Trying to play Dune with the uninitiated can be fucking disastrous. Rex is way more flexible and playable with diverse groups (being more flexible on player count helps too). And if you end up playing with a bad group for the game and the session turns cancerous, with Rex you can at least rest easy that the game will actually end

Still think "good game of Dune with a great group" is a better game than Rex, but if you don't have easy access to that and just want to play a lot more Dune (even Dune-lite*) then Rex is actually the game that will give you that

*Yeah, it's more forgiving and has less stuff you can do, but luckily it's not THAT lite -- most of the fun is intact

Man, I'm really glad you had a good experience with Rex, I mostly feel like preaching in the desert when talking about it here :)
I totally agree that Dune with 6 experienced players is better than Rex. But my regular Rex group is a 4-player and about 3 hours of playtime, which for Dune is just unthinkable. It is less fiddly and more streamlined than Dune, but still a tough and unforgiving game, which requires a serious investment on behalf of the players.
The thing is, if you make a PnP copy of dune-ified Rex, you can always mess with the rules and add more elements of original Dune into it. It is the kind of a game that invites house-ruling and general messing up, depending on the group.
We've been playing with original Dune cards for a while (which I like better, but some people don't), and one phase combat (the biggest mess-up of Rex's design was splitting it into two phases. just get rid of it as soon as possible, and nobody will even notice). Next time we play, we'll probably introduce Harks power to capture leaders.

Rex's graphic design is simply atrocious. Even if you're not up to completely converting your Rex to Dune setting, I strongly suggest getting Dune's board (there are several designs at BGG that you can just print and glue on the other side of Rex's board - the spaces and distances still match Rex, so you can play without changing the rest of the components).

At the end of the day, there's simply nothing out there like Dune/Rex. I really hope that when the new film comes it, it gets a proper re-print. But even then, I don't think it will break through its cult classic status. It is simply too unforgiving and requires too much of a player's commitment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds