October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

If you could only own games from a single company...

More
18 Nov 2016 08:48 #238743 by Legomancer
No surprise that for me it would be Portal. I don't love everything they do, but they do many of the things I love. 51st State, Neuroshima Hex, and Theseus would be great. Throw in Pret-a-Porter, Cry Havoc, Robinson Crusoe, Tides of Time, Legacy, and Convoy, and you've got a lot of bases covered. Is Pret-a-Porter my favorite WP/economic game? No, but I wouldn't have a problem with it being my main choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2016 08:52 #238744 by SuperflyPete
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
18 Nov 2016 09:56 #238752 by Black Barney
I don't know if Pete is joking but I think it’s Hasbro for me too.

I want to say GMT so bad but I don't want all those wargames

More
18 Nov 2016 10:04 - 18 Nov 2016 10:08 #238753 by Columbob
Probably FFG for me, but I've had so much fun with GW over the years...

I'll add to the list:
GorkaMorka
Bomba's Over Da Sulfur River

And from the pages of WD:
Arena of Blood - maybe a precursor to Gorec Hosen
and...
BREWHOUSE BASH! (I recommend using Knee in da danglies or Put da boot in!)
Last edit: 18 Nov 2016 10:08 by Columbob.

More
18 Nov 2016 10:31 #238756 by san il defanso
I'd be lying if I said anything other than FFG. Four of my top five games are published by them, or were published by them most recently...

Cosmic Encounter
Talisman
Wiz-War
Tigris & Euphrates

I don't have the OP in front of me, but are old publishers allowed? Because if they are pre-Hasbro Avalon Hill has to be a strong contender. Merchant of Venus, Kremlin, Dune, Magic Realm...hard to beat that lineup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
18 Nov 2016 10:51 #238762 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: I don't know if Pete is joking but I think it’s Hasbro for me too.

I want to say GMT so bad but I don't want all those wargames

Not joking. With Hasbro comes all the Wizards stuff, but even without, their catalog is massive and impressive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Nov 2016 11:58 #238774 by metalface13
Who published Liebe & Intrige? That's all I need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Mr. White

More
18 Nov 2016 13:25 #238785 by the_jake_1973

san il defanso wrote: I'd be lying if I said anything other than FFG. Four of my top five games are published by them, or were published by them most recently...

Cosmic Encounter
Talisman
Wiz-War
Tigris & Euphrates

I don't have the OP in front of me, but are old publishers allowed? Because if they are pre-Hasbro Avalon Hill has to be a strong contender. Merchant of Venus, Kremlin, Dune, Magic Realm...hard to beat that lineup.

I went with AH. There are just so many I like from them. B-17 is at the top of my solo game list. Richtofen's War rules the WWI setting.

More
18 Nov 2016 14:29 #238789 by southernman

Michael Barnes wrote: The thing about GW is you get more than just the game. You get the stories, basic rules that are usually getting refreshed, painting, building, army development, several types of play, board game options, money-spending....

Probably the reasons why I wouldn't choose GW - lucky there are 'horses for courses', different game companies for different gamers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
18 Nov 2016 14:30 #238790 by Egg Shen
I'll be a boardgaming hipster and go with a company that hasn't been named....

CoolMiniorNot - I am sort of in love with their output of simple games that look great, can be easily taught, aren't bloated, and cover a wide variety of genres. Most of their big box games have turned out to be some of my favorites from the past few years. I love Arcadia Quest, The Others, Zombicide, and Blood Rage. I'm very much looking to dive into Rum and Bones, the new Eric Lang game and more. Plus in recent years they've expanded their lineup to include non kickstarter games which range from family friendly to Euro. Their current lineup includes a slew of games I'm very eager to try out like Dogs of War and On Her Majesty's Service. As an added bonus there is nothing quite like opening up a kickstarter from CMON. The sheer amount of PLASTIC SHIT you get makes my inner GI Joe loving 6 year old self REALLY HAPPY.

Other contenders

Flying Frog Productions - I've hopped on and off their bandwagon since they've entered the market. In the past year or so I've hopped back on. I love how they just shamlessly make classic style ameritrash games. They give exactly zero fucks for fancy, elegant mechanics. If you're doing something in a FFP game...chances are you're chucking several six siders. They know their audience and they're comfortable with what they do. The reason I didn't choose them is because their output is pretty low. Since they hit it huge with Brimstone their other lines have suffered greatly. With another Brimstone Kickstarter about to complete it's looking like it will once again be their primary focus for the next year or two.

Games Workshop - This was probably second place for me. Nobody understands how to make a simple, ameritrash style game better than GW. Their minis are the best in the world and their recent resurgance into the boardgame realm has been nothing short of unbelievably good. My main problem is that it takes me a terribly long time to assemble and play their games. If they were the only things I bought, perhaps that would be a moot issue. Still, sometimes I just want to crack open a game and have everything ready to go.

FFG - They make a ton of my all time favorite games. I'm also quite fond of their push into the digital realm of mixing apps and games. Descent has actually turned out to be one of the most robust dungeon crawlers on the market, Mansions of Madness 2.0 is a huge improvement over the original game...and the arrow seems to be pointing up for them. But everyone I know buys FFG shit. I could easily let my friends buy the FFG stuff and be perfectly fine. Except Cosmic...I'd still have to own and expand CE.

Gale Force 9 - I think the core design team that they have is utterly brilliant. They just GET how to make good games that really tie into a specific theme/setting. It typically doesn't matter what license they're working with...I'm usually interested in what they're putting out. Like FFP their output is much lower than other companies. But the quality seems to be at a higher and more consistate rate. I'd love to hear some news about that Doctor Who game they're working on......

More
18 Nov 2016 14:44 #238792 by Dr. Mabuse
FFG (successor of 80's Games Workshop for better or worse)
or Emperors of Eternal Evil

More
18 Nov 2016 16:22 #238802 by KingPut

SuperflyTNT wrote: Hasbro.

Amen brother. All versions of Risk, all versions of Axis & Allies, including A&A minis, Buffy. Nexus Ops, Battleball, Loppin Chewie, I'm just getting stated with out touching AH titles or Wizard titles but I'm at happy hour drinking cold Guinness so I'll leave it there.

More
18 Nov 2016 17:53 #238806 by southernman

KingPut wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: Hasbro.

Amen brother. All versions of Risk, all versions of Axis & Allies, including A&A minis, Buffy. Nexus Ops, Battleball, Loppin Chewie, I'm just getting stated with out touching AH titles or Wizard titles but I'm at happy hour drinking cold Guinness so I'll leave it there.

Some of the Hasbro games I have or have had include Buffy, Heroscape, Risk Legacy, Risk Godstorm , Risk Star Wars and SW Epic Duels so a good podium chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
18 Nov 2016 19:35 #238811 by Erik Twice
I came in thinking that choosing Asmoode would be a no-brainer but, surprisngly, all they would do for me is to add Android: Netrunner and a couple of FFG reprints (Cosmic) to Mayfair's catalogue (18XX, Steam), I'm surprised. I truly expected for them to cover more games.

Deep down, I'm not very fond of FFG, most of their in-house productions seem overly bloated to me, with too many event or equipment cards and few challenging decisions. They do have some great reprints (Cosmic, Netrunner) and a couple standouts (Chaos in the Old World), but I'm increasingly wary of the games they make.

If I could only own games fom a single company, I would probably end up with Avalon Hill.They have more classics than anyone else and many of their B-tier games are still pretty solid, if outmatched by the modern landscape. Of course, that's cheating. Sure, if I could, I would only play Dune, 1830 and The Republic of Rome, but finding a group to play those every week would be difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
18 Nov 2016 20:36 - 18 Nov 2016 20:45 #238815 by Jexik
This is a pretty interesting question. It's kind of confusing because some games have been published by a number of companies. You could pick a ton of different publishers and have some version of Cosmic Encounter. How big of an umbrella can we pick?

If I want to say Asmodee for example... do I just get stuff they make or acquire recently, or can I go back and pick them and still get 2010 era Summoner Wars and Descent 1st edition? (Not that I want that Descent, but for arguments' sake). Z-Man might not have the most consistent quality, but they sure do have some good variety; I could have Neuroshima Hex, Tragedy Looper, and Pandemic. Shadow Hunters! And Agricola if I wanted it. Bundle all the ZMan, PHG, and FFG stuff (X-wing alone I could play alot) together, and it's hard to go wrong. Days of Wonder, they bought Catan from Mayfair, etc... Asmodee wins I think.

But then I've got that closet full of Heroscape stuff. And Hasbro owns WotC. I could play Scape and M:tG only for the rest of my life and probably be okay.

I'd like to give a shoutout to Matagot, even though they don't have enough games. Cyclades and Captain Sonar!

Kingdom Death would look a lot more reasonable if it were the only game I had. It's solo and good with 2 too. Can't play it with kids though.

HABA. Tier auf Tier for life.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2016 20:45 by Jexik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds