October 09, 2023
2481 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Superhero Games

More
25 Nov 2016 13:46 #239121 by Shellhead
Superhero Games was created by Shellhead
I am really in the mood for a superhero game, preferably one that includes Marvel and/or DC characters. But so many of the superhero games that I have seen are disappointing. Any suggestions? I am definitely not interested in Legendary, because I can't stand the thematic disconnect between subject matter and mechanics in most deckbuilder games. But what about Vs System? I see that FFG brought this game back last year, so presumably it has a fair number of fans.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2016 14:01 #239122 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Superhero Games
I don't know how hard it is to track down a copy of Marvel Heroes but I enjoyed that game an awful lot once I got used to it. I still regret selling it.

A quick check on e-bay shows you can probably get it for under 80$, which is pretty reasonable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman

More
25 Nov 2016 14:14 #239123 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Superhero Games
I heard mixed things about Marvel Heroes back when it was still available in local stores. Then it went out of circulation and prices online were silly high. But you're right, the current price is pretty reasonable. If nobody has a better suggestion, I will pick this up.

More
25 Nov 2016 14:47 - 25 Nov 2016 14:48 #239128 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Superhero Games
Hmmm,.. limited options if you want that hot Marvel/DC action.

Marvel Heroes probably the best board game if you want brand name super heroes. The Batman Arkham City game was pretty good as well, but it's an area control euro-y game (playing as the various villains trying to avoid Batman wrecking your shit).

I liked the original VS CCG, but you do have to squint a bit to relate the abilities on the cards to the hero\villain. It's a bit like the dice masters games in that regard. I also never picked up the new version and I'm a superhero junky, FWTW.

The Marvel expansion for Heroscape (with the million fan made heroes over at Heroscapers)?

Knight models does both a Batman/DC and Marvel Universe miniatures game, but those miniatures are crazy expensive.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2016 14:48 by Almalik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
25 Nov 2016 14:56 - 25 Nov 2016 15:00 #239129 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Superhero Games
It's weird, especially after the Marvel cinematic uprising, that there are no cool supers games. At least nothing that grabbed me. Back in the day I really enjoyed the Marvel Superheroes RPG from TSR. Strangely, that was what got me interested in comics, not the other way around. It wasn't heavy like CHAMPIONS and was pretty quick to get into. No idea how it would hold up though.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2016 15:00 by Hex Sinister.

More
25 Nov 2016 15:09 #239130 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Superhero Games
I played several superhero rpg systems early in my gaming career, including MSH. For me, it was a big draw that they statted up so many classic heroes and villains, but my friends disliked playing pre-made characters. So the only time we played more than a one-shot session was the Days of Future Past module series. Everybody rolled up their own mutant characters using the Ultimate Powers book that tried really hard to cover every single super-power ever seen in comics. Though we only played a few sessions, they enjoyed smashing up sentinels. One guy used his telekinesis power to force one sentinel to take another sentinel and "bend him over a roof top." Good times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
25 Nov 2016 16:26 #239133 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Superhero Games
Super-heroscape.

Grab some nice clix figs, download a myriad of user created content, then storm your enemies with badassness.

Best super hero game yet made.

More
25 Nov 2016 16:31 #239134 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Superhero Games
The Xmen game from Gale Force 9 is a "reskin+" of Spartacus and it's really good.

If you liked Sparta, this is a no brainer. I'd even go so far as to say it's the best "superhero" game I've played.

More
25 Nov 2016 17:15 #239135 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Superhero Games
I was a big fan of Marvel Heroes when it came out. I still have it, and it still has my favorite combat mechanics ever, but the last time I played it, it felt flat for me. It's cool that each player gets to be heroes and controls villains for the other players, but the subject matter just feels like it should be a co-op or one vs. all kind of game. It was on my sell pile for a while, but then my 4-year-old son found it, pulled it out and loves playing with the pieces, especially storm. Storm is his favorite. It's been a while since he's played with it, but I feel selfish selling it at this point.

More
25 Nov 2016 17:43 #239136 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Superhero Games
I'm another one who really likes Marvel Heroes but unfortunately due to my small group and them feeling the co-op feel isn't quite right it seldom gets played (not my choice). I'm not a card game player or deck builder so can't comment on the Legendary Marvel card game but it sounds pretty goo and seems to have some elements out of Marvel Heroes in it.

More
25 Nov 2016 20:07 - 27 Nov 2016 23:50 #239140 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Superhero Games

Colorcrayons wrote: Super-heroscape.

Grab some nice clix figs, download a myriad of user created content, then storm your enemies with badassness.

Best super hero game yet made.

Yes, C3G makes awesome stuff which is pretty well tested too. You can find everything at Heroscapers.com
Last edit: 27 Nov 2016 23:50 by quozl.

More
26 Nov 2016 12:05 #239154 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Superhero Games
I kinda hated Spartacus, so thanks for the heads-up that that X-man game ain't for me. I hadn't really thought about it much, but, it really is basically "'clix/scape or bust" these days.

It is'n't "Big 2" hero material, but I do recall there was a boutique supers game that popped a few years back, and for which, people went apeshit over for a bit--Capes & Cowls was it? Somehow that doesn't seem quite right. Anyway, it looked interesting, but the designer seemed to like the attention and yet never seemed to get beyond the "vague murmuring" stage of reprinting, thus ensuring that no more than a few hundred copies would ever circulate. Anyone here familiar with the game that I so vaguely recall? Was/is it worth the effort and/or cash to hunt up?

More
26 Nov 2016 14:27 - 26 Nov 2016 16:36 #239161 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Superhero Games
It's a decent game with some neat ideas and cool retro style, but not worth the $400 or so it would cost if you could find a seller. I keep thinking I should sell mine.

If you're going off-brand, I like Pulp City (miniature gaming with their specific miniature line) and Supersystem 4th for statting up your own guys and using clix or whatever else you have around.

There's also the Villains and Vigilantes card game which is pretty good.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2016 16:36 by Almalik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix

More
26 Nov 2016 17:02 #239165 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Superhero Games
FWIW, scans of Capes & Cowls are out there for those interested in making a PnP version. At first glance the game looks like it has some cool ideas, but I don't know if it's worth the effort of hours of PnP construction, let alone $375+.

More
26 Nov 2016 17:36 #239166 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Superhero Games
I can't believe no one capitalized on Civil War to make a reskinned Epic Duels. That would have been awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds