October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Negotiation or Dexterity?

More
15 Dec 2016 10:16 #240657 by Shellhead
Which type of game would you rather play: negotiation or dexterity? It seems like both types of games are distinctive for rewarding non-traditional gaming advantages, as opposed to strategy, luck, or analysis.

I prefer negotiation games, because they feature a strong element of interaction between players, making the game more social than most. I dislike dexterity games, because it seems like the owner of the game tends to eventually have an unfair advantage over the other players due to increased opportunities to practice the core skill of the game, whether it's throwing, balancing, flicking or whatever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2016 10:19 #240659 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?
I love both but I also would choose Negotiation over dexterity. There's a deeper sense of satisfaction and the experience lingers quite a bit longer. Both styles of game are very engaging though and a hell of a lot of fun.

More
15 Dec 2016 10:29 #240660 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?
No contest, negotiation.

More
15 Dec 2016 10:45 - 15 Dec 2016 10:46 #240661 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?
Two of the most immersive mechanisms around. When I'm negotiating I'm actually negotiating. There is nothing forced about it. Same with dexterity... it's pure skill and there is nothing more immersive than trying to shoot someone in Flick 'em Up and actually shooting them as you flick that little disc at across the table. It's a primal connection to what it signifies. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that throwing/flicking things around the fire, trying to hit specific targets, is one of the earliest/oldest types of games we play. Easily my two favourite mechanisms in gaming.

But if I had to choose I'd go for Dexterity.. I have more dex games than any other single type. From my early addiction to Crossbows and Catapults to picking up Ice Cool just recently for me and my son to play. Dex games have always been huge for me. The criticism you have for Dex games doesn't apply to me because the small group I game with grew up with me playing crokinole every day so they're all fantastic at flicking and crush me on a regular basis even in games they haven't played before that I'm practiced at.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2016 10:46 by OldHippy.

More
15 Dec 2016 10:52 #240662 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?
Lately, it has been dexterity. I love Tier auf Tier (animal upon animal) with people of all ages.

More
15 Dec 2016 11:03 #240665 by hotseatgames
Dexterity. These games tend to focus on fun over rules, and in general a good time is practically guaranteed. And if you are sitting in your basement alone, practicing shots, then congratulations on your victory, fun murderer.

More
15 Dec 2016 12:20 #240668 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?
Negotiation. Because dexterity rewards not-clumsy players and also people who practice, and I'm none of the above. Having said that, it also depends on whom you're playing with. I can't stand negotiation games with obnoxious people like myself, that's why I think I'll always prefer playing flick 'em up with my kids to any game where I'd have to reach an agreement with them.

More
15 Dec 2016 13:08 #240675 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?
Well, negotiation also rewards not-socially-inept people and you certainly get better with practice there too.

I like dexterity. Fun forward. But I like negotiation too.

More
15 Dec 2016 15:05 #240686 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?
Negotiation games stick with me a lot longer, they tend to create serious stories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
15 Dec 2016 15:27 #240691 by Black Barney
I hate negotiation cuz it’s whoever can manipulate the dumbest person in the room the best. I have scruples now and just can't bring myself to betray someone's confidence. Also because I win too much, no one negotiates with me anymore and I tend to lose more as a consequence.

More
15 Dec 2016 16:21 #240696 by ChristopherMD
I hate negotiation in games beyond simple trading. Love dexterity games even if I suck at them.

More
15 Dec 2016 16:47 #240699 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?

Black Barney wrote: I hate negotiation cuz it’s whoever can manipulate the dumbest person in the room the best. I have scruples now and just can't bring myself to betray someone's confidence. Also because I win too much, no one negotiates with me anymore and I tend to lose more as a consequence.

Truthiness here.

I will not play Monopoly, Cataan, or any heavy trading/negotiation games with the family. Because the status quo is, Dad plays games all the times so we don't trade with him, even if it's mostly in our best interest. I start every game in a default 3 on 1 situation. So, no.

Even when it's a good gaming group, negotiating games can be a slog. Some people dig that, but I don't. I sell all day at work. I don't want to have to sell at the gaming table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 Dec 2016 18:51 #240713 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?
I have no scruples at the table. Negotiation. I like the mental gymnastics that it brings out sometimes and like Sax Says: the stories.

The one dexterity game we've kept and enjoy is Bisikle. I have two sets now and some extra ramps and stuff so we can build big courses or have two games going at once. It usually gets brought out at the end of a gaming day when the booze has set in and the rules are more of a suggestion and often go up for popular vote when in dispute. We've even had enough players to put the horses from Long Shot on the track with the bicycles. I'm still bad at the game, but it's still a blast.

More
15 Dec 2016 19:09 #240717 by SuperflyPete
Dexterity 10/10 times

More
16 Dec 2016 00:10 #240738 by Varys
Replied by Varys on topic Negotiation or Dexterity?
Dexterity all the way. I grew up playing stuff like marbles, carrom, paper football, etc.

Negotiation can rot in hell after the many awful games of Monopoly. Also, years of trying to trade with unrealistic Magic players and now BGGers just continues my hate for it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds