October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Another PSA to not take what you have for granted

More
16 Dec 2016 08:40 #240746 by charlest
Since my Kirby story from last spring drew such a great response, thought I'd share another moment of (legitimate in this case) family trauma.

I was pulled out of a meeting at work yesterday afternoon with my wife trying to frantically get a hold of me (my cell phone was silenced). My in-laws watch our three year old daughter and my mother-in-law had gotten into a car accident with my daughter in the car. We didn't really know details except that they were conscious, alive, and stable.

Speeding to the hospital and not really knowing what condition she would be in was probably one of the worst feelings I've ever felt. I arrived at the same time as my wife to the ER and we found my daughter returning from the bathroom, walking on her own. She had a neck brace on and large cuts on her head with blood down the side of her face and her clothes heavily stained in blood. She looked like those pictures you see of a child in a third world country in a war zone.

After doing a bunch of tests and sitting in a room for 7 hours, they determined if she had a concussion it was only minor, her spine is ok, and she only needed stitches for a large gash on her scalp and a cut on her mouth. She was a trooper and is home and safe now (with the challenge of figuring out how to feed her with a large joker-like cut at the corner of her mouth that went all the way through) but it was a pretty terrifying experience.

My mother-in-law has some cracked ribs, a broken wrist, and very minor internal bleeding that they think will heal up on its own.

Very thankful that my daughter's wounds weren't several inches in either direction as she could have lost her eye or had her throat slashed.

So yeah, many of you have been through equally terrifying stuff or are dealing with your own problems. I just wanted to remind everyone to be thankful for what you have (I'm not always in that mindset) and keep your family safe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2016 09:47 - 16 Dec 2016 09:47 #240768 by southernman
It is absolutely fantastic when you can relate stories like that when, as you said, a slightly different angle or impact and you could be telling a horrific story.
I had a car accident when 18 and rolled my small car (a Mini) a couple of times, ending up on its roof and I had to crawl out (in the middle of no where, a farmer heard the noise and came to check me). When my dad arrived to pick me up (I had been in a few minor accidents before in his vehicles so was expecting a few words) he looked at my car and said nothing - the roof on the passenger side was stoved in to the dashboard but was untouched on the driver's side.
Again really happy that you only have a terrible mishap story with all family safe now.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2016 09:47 by southernman.

More
16 Dec 2016 10:00 #240771 by charlest

Southernman wrote: It is absolutely fantastic when you can relate stories like that when, as you said, a slightly different angle or impact and you could be telling a horrific story.
I had a car accident when 18 and rolled my small car (a Mini) a couple of times, ending up on its roof and I had to crawl out (in the middle of no where, a farmer heard the noise and came to check me). When my dad arrived to pick me up (I had been in a few minor accidents before in his vehicles so was expecting a few words) he looked at my car and said nothing - the roof on the passenger side was stoved in to the dashboard but was untouched on the driver's side.
Again really happy that you only have a terrible mishap story with all family safe now.

Yeah stories like that are incredible. I've been fortunate enough never to be involved in anything so scary directly (never been in a bad accident or almost died or anything), and can't imagine how crazy that must have been when it was rolling.

More
16 Dec 2016 10:19 #240778 by southernman

charlest wrote:

Southernman wrote: It is absolutely fantastic when you can relate stories like that when, as you said, a slightly different angle or impact and you could be telling a horrific story.

Yeah stories like that are incredible. I've been fortunate enough never to be involved in anything so scary directly (never been in a bad accident or almost died or anything), and can't imagine how crazy that must have been when it was rolling.

Things like that happen so quickly and you lose control of your senses that you have very little memory of that short time it occurred. I was a happy-go-lucky and careless young adult rather than a mad or stupid driver and I'm glad that I had grown up a bit recently before that and started to wear my seatbelt regularly - it would have been a different story otherwise. But you must have felt like my father did and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, I have only had one instance like that with my son and it was nothing like your daughter's accident and that made me go pale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
16 Dec 2016 12:59 #240799 by SuperflyPete
Holy shit.

Prayers en route, Chuck. That's a horrible thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
16 Dec 2016 16:07 - 16 Dec 2016 16:08 #240811 by quozl
Next month will be 17 years. I was joking and laughing it up at work when I got a call at my desk saying my sister had died in a car accident. I could hear my mom wailing in the background. I was in shock. I didn't know what to do or say. I went home and told my wife what happened and then called in to work next morning and said I wouldn't be there. Everything changed for us but nothing changed in the world around us. That was the worst part of it. Not only did I not get to have my sister around for the rest of my life but that most people didn't know or care.

Like Charles said, be thankful for what you have. And also give grace to others. You don't know what's been taken away from them.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2016 16:08 by quozl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax, dysjunct, Cranberries, ratpfink, Mr. White, Frohike, Erik Twice, charlest, Varys

More
16 Dec 2016 18:00 #240822 by Michael Barnes
Damn, Charlie...best to your and your family, y'all deserve the best holiday ever this year.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds