October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

CE lost in the deluge of Star Wars?

More
26 Dec 2016 18:39 #241336 by Jackwraith
Did anyone else notice that FFG released a sixth expansion for CE late in December? www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/c...roducts/cosmic-eons/

I think it got lost in the continual Star Wars releases, as I didn't see anyone else mentioning it here. Hidden alliances sounds like a cool new quirk to the game. Haven't heard anything about the new aliens, but more are always welcome, IMO. Can never have too much variety.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2016 19:31 #241337 by san il defanso
It's been on my radar. I will probably wait until after my birthday to pick it up, but pick it up I will. I remember Peter Olotka saying he was really excited about this particular expansion. Pretty cool to have the original designers on point for this game now.

More
31 Dec 2016 23:58 - 01 Jan 2017 04:31 #241642 by Oatmeal
Gonna pick up this expansion this week. Looking forward to it -- it had good people working on it and good people testing it.

More aliens is not always a good thing though. After Cosmic Storm (4th expansion) I got kind of pessimistic about new Cosmic expansions because the aliens in that set were pretty boring, weak, and low quality overall. Bad aliens just dilute the choices and make it more likely you'll random into a boring game.

But FFG hit it out of the park and redeemed the line with Cosmic Dominion (5th expansion). Interested in seeing if the new expansion can top that.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2017 04:31 by Oatmeal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Jan 2017 15:24 #241655 by Brewmiester
My FLGS had a copy so I picked it up the other day. Does look promising.

More
06 Jan 2017 09:02 #241887 by fastbilly1

san il defanso wrote: I remember Peter Olotka saying he was really excited about this particular expansion.

Thats good to hear. In 2010 I randomly got a chance to play Cosmic Encounter with him and his son, and he made disparaging comments about many changes to the current version. Then again, most of us at the table preferred the Red Moon version.

More
06 Jan 2017 09:12 #241888 by san il defanso
After Kevin Wilson left I think it was kind of lost in the weeds. Jay Little was the guy in charge of Cosmic Storm, which I think isn't nearly as shoddy as its reputation, but it's still probably the weakest one. Olotka got to be the curator for the fan expansion, and now he and Bill Eberle are at the reins. It's their first published design work in like 30 years.

More
12 Jan 2017 14:25 - 19 Jan 2017 14:19 #242316 by Oatmeal
Got to play a few games with it now (using only new aliens from Eons). Recommend.

Lots of new aliens, and they are all pretty great. No weak sauce or redundant aliens like Storm at all, they are all power houses that bring unique ideas. Many aliens have a set of "essence cards", basically their own set of unique things that kind of allow the alien power to expand and have more flexibility than can be fit onto one sheet.

The alliance dials for hidden alliances are OK. I'll try them a bit more but may revert back to the vanilla game. There's nothing really wrong with them, just not sure they add enough for me to bother with using the component which is a little tedious (the dials are tiny)

Finally, there's a "foreign aid" variant which was pretty fun. It basically lets players offer a card to the main players in hopes that they will get to ally. On the plus side, it promotes interaction and fun combos. In theory, it lets the main players ask more of their allies and hold out for bribes, or potential allies to threaten to give aid to the opponent. On the flip side, it makes setting up a solo win a lot harder, something that I don't think the game really needed (I have no problem with shared victories but I don't think solo wins should be harder than they already are). The reason for this is because when you go for a solo win, the guy with the best hand can just give cards to the guy who's being attacked, whereas before, attacking someone with a weak hand was one of best ways to get solo win.

...But the most important thing is always the aliens. I think this is either the best or second best set of aliens in a Cosmic expansion, for veterans at least. They are a lot more complex on average than aliens in other sets, so this is another "experts only" expansion.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2017 14:19 by Oatmeal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, san il defanso, hotseatgames

More
12 Jan 2017 16:06 #242320 by hotseatgames
I wish I lived in a world in which I got to play Cosmic enough to become a veteran.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Hex Sinister

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds