October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What's the Millenial Question?

More
29 Dec 2016 04:44 #241451 by Frohike
Ok, some of you probably already came across this bullshit on your facebook feed:

Reactions?

I, for one, have encountered this "conundrum" in the workplace and, honestly, I think it comes down to 20-something syndrome, which has little to do with any "special" generational parenting. There's no generational momentum behind the combination of lack of experience and entitlement. That shit is eternal.

"This job sucks."

"Yeah, that's why we gave it to you."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2016 08:53 #241452 by Shellhead
All of my problems with millennials can be solved with an Israeli military-grade cell phone jammer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
29 Dec 2016 09:37 #241453 by Colorcrayons
I agree with Louis CK. But that's normal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
29 Dec 2016 13:49 #241475 by Gregarius
Watching your video put this in my feed. Had to share.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Jexik, Frohike

More
30 Dec 2016 09:42 #241537 by Legomancer
I haven't watched that first video, but once I saw my nephew had shared it, I knew it was bullshit. He's 26, hasn't taken responsibility for anything his whole life, and fell into a job as a cop for all the wrong (and dangerous) reasons. He's no one to talk about how these kids don't work as hard as he did.

More
30 Dec 2016 15:42 - 30 Dec 2016 15:42 #241570 by Black Barney
The work ethic is so vastly different from what I'm used to. I did some recruiting once at a cocktail full of university students. Two students approached me. Two. The rest stood in the middle drinking and had phones out. In my day at University, we used to bat down the doors of recruiters trying to get the best opportunity available.

I've read that because the Internet just gives you everything you need whenever you want it, this generation has had it so easy that they expect life to follow suit. Everything will come to them. It's especially bad with non immigrant Caucasians
Last edit: 30 Dec 2016 15:42 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
30 Dec 2016 16:03 - 30 Dec 2016 16:17 #241573 by Jexik
I think there is something to parenting being different from generation to generation.

My grandparents fought in WWII and survived the depression. My parents and their contemporaries wanted to make life easier for their kids, and did stuff for them instead of teaching them the right level of personal responsibility. Growing up, I never really had many material wants, so I didn't have a summer job or anything. My sister did, because she wanted to keep up with the kids from the nearby richer suburb.

I work with kids in the K-6th age now, and some of them are just awful. At least when it comes to kids being accountable for their own behavior. It varies from school to school, but at this one, whenever some kids act out, their parents immediately take the child's side instead of trying to correct their behavior. I had one dad chuckle when I described all of the ridiculous and inappropriate stuff his daughter did.

I was born in 1985 and fall into the millennial boat. I don't know about this whole phone addiction model, but I look to some of the big macroeconomic questions. We grew up in the Clinton years and the rapid expansion of the use of the internet and proliferation of cell phones. And we were constantly being told we were special. And that we just had to go to school, because that's how you get a good job. The financial crisis was one year after I graduated college. My school groomed me for academia, which I lost interest in, and left without many job skills. I think there's a big disconnect between how we prepare people for adulthood and what's actually expected of people in the workplace. We need to revamp our educational system.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2016 16:17 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Dec 2016 16:14 #241576 by Black Barney
Because millenials aren't being hit, are they not respecting authority as much?

More
30 Dec 2016 16:20 - 30 Dec 2016 16:22 #241577 by Jexik
I'm hoping that the children of millennials will be hard workers, because their parents will explain to them how important it is to learn actual skills or a trade. I felt like we were just told to go to school and that we'd get what we want.

I also think Sinek is right that the quarterly/annual approach used by corporations isn't healthy for neither the corporations nor their employees.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2016 16:22 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, wadenels

More
30 Dec 2016 16:32 #241579 by Shellhead
I have some sympathy for the plight of millennials. The quality of life for most people in America will gradually decline in the coming decades, and the millennials were raised to expect more than they are likely to ever get, on average. Gen X went through several recessions but also had some good years.

More
03 Jan 2017 12:26 #241721 by fastbilly1
I felt bad for what people said about Millennials for the longest time. Then one day people started saying that I was one. It is completely unfair to lump together those of us born in the late 70s to late 80s with those born in the early 2000s. Like Jexik said, there are very big differences in work ethic, accountability, and average level of phone addiction.

I busted my ass to get through college and worked several thankless job for the last decade to be where I am (house, two cars, and hopefully next month out of debt on everything but house). But I just had a new rep start for me who spends most of their day on social media or screwing around, then had their parents call me when I wrote them up for not hitting their sales quota. No joke. I actually had to spend time last week to explain to this guys father that I cannot talk about what happened since he is not an employee and was cussed out because of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
03 Jan 2017 12:51 #241722 by Jexik
Born in the late 70s and people calling you a millennial? Maybe you just look young!

More
03 Jan 2017 13:17 #241724 by fastbilly1
Early 80s and balding...is what it is. People see a date and thats it.

Last year I was interviewing for a NOC manager job for a small telecom and even though I aced the first few interviews. The owner tried to stump me by asking questions about computing from before I was born. Luckily I had just that week repaired an Apple ][+ and previously I had worked on a Token Ring network. I still did not get the job, but he said he was impressed that a millennial would know that...screw that, I am part of the Oregon Trail Generation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, DukeofChutney

More
03 Jan 2017 13:27 #241726 by Space Ghost
Generally, the generations are broken down into 20 year intevals:

80-99: Millenial
60-79: Gen X
40-59: Baby Boomer
20-39: Greatest Generation

Even though the 20 year snap-shots are arbitrary (there will be overlap at the boundaries), there are definitely broad trends among cohorts that exhibit differences between "Generations". If people are interested, I would recommend the work by Jean Twenge (Generation Me is a decent book, for example). She compares everything from ASVAB tests in the 40s and 90s to a wide variety of psychological questionairres.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.549 seconds