October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Gangs of Commorragh - GW 40K boardgame

More
31 Dec 2016 11:49 - 02 Jan 2017 17:42 #241616 by Colorcrayons
Dark Eldar. Has to be an arena battle game. They lurv themselves some gladiatorial combat.

Will it be like Arena of Blood found in white dwarf in the late 90's? Or Jetbike Duels from the same period?

Or will we be blessed by more awesomeness found in the Gorechosen engine?

Looks like we only have a couple pics to go off of and make guesses.

Update:
Reading the FB page, the GW moderator responded to a question asking if this had campaign rules like necromunda, to which they responded that "they are not too dissimilar to necromunda".
So I am going to guess it is a more focused necromunda with a twist?
Last edit: 02 Jan 2017 17:42 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2016 15:37 #241625 by wadenels
I've been reading rumours that GW has/had a racing game in the works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
01 Jan 2017 11:18 - 01 Jan 2017 12:28 #241646 by Colorcrayons
Dark eldar hellions are referred to as 'gangs' in DE literature, so because of the name and the hellions pictured I first assumed it would be an arena game involving these jump infantry.

But the Iyanden eldar guardian on a jetbike (actually, that's a Dark Eldar warrior Jetbike, my bad) throws a monkey wrench into that tidy assumption.

It makes me wonder if they are persuing something similar as to what was offered in the white dwarf 237 mini game article called "Jetbike Duel" that used the 'rolling road' seen in Gorkamorka.

It wasn't a bad game at all, even though you had to have knowledge of and use the 3rd ed. 40K rules as a basis to play.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2017 12:28 by Colorcrayons.

More
01 Jan 2017 15:40 #241657 by Gary Sax
I like that they're leaning a little harder on the punk aspects that used to be front and center in WH40K.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
More
02 Jan 2017 11:55 #241680 by Colorcrayons
For card scenery... I dunno. I think Mordheim was the last boxed game before they shuttered their board game windows. They had a fair amount of card scenery and even an expansion with it.

Even more interesting is the last time they made a 40K game that didn't involve humans/Imperium. That was Gorkamorka. And even then, they eventually make 'umies available with the Diggas.

Which makes this a fairly special game if they can keep Spazz Mareenz!!11! out of it.

5 hellions cost $25 right now. Reaver Jetbikes are about... $40ish for 3 I believe? So if they can do the "Half price for models with a board game" special that they did with gorechosen, I think they can stuff a fair amount of DE in there.

More
02 Jan 2017 20:58 #241701 by Sevej
The Reaver jetbike kit is a really nice kit. 3 in a box, all with different bodies.

More
03 Jan 2017 08:03 #241706 by metalface13
I wonder how much campaign is in the campaign. Is it just some linked scenarios or a fully developed campaign like Necromunda/Gorkamorka/Mordheim? Can my gangers get experience, level up, get injured, killed, upgrade my skyboard/jetbike thingies? Get special weapons?

More
03 Jan 2017 08:50 #241710 by charlest
Oh man, if this is like Thunder Road with jetbikes and carry-over gang rules. Hot damn.

More
03 Jan 2017 10:02 #241711 by Dr. Lao
I wouldn't get too excited about a campaign, Stormcloud Attack also has "campaign rules". Which are four pages long and not too detailed or complex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
03 Jan 2017 18:42 #241748 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I'd love to see the ol' "switch and link" road system in this...in my mind, this is fast paced, Gorechosen style game where you have Hellions v. Reavers tearing through the skyline with randomly generated terrain. And lots of crashes and DBBS (dice-based bullshit).

I have no Dark Eldar at all...I like that this box will give me a chance to build/paint/play with some even though it's not an army I'd really want to invest in. Hopefully they will continue to do more Xeno-focused boxes- would love to see a Necron-focused board game.

More
10 Jan 2017 16:03 - 10 Jan 2017 16:05 #242193 by Colorcrayons

Last week, we teased the upcoming Gangs of Commorragh box.

Well, we’ve just got our first box into the office and we thought we’d share with you a few details of what’s inside.

First off, the cover art of the box is very cool: an evocative battle of blade and bolt at high speed through the spires of the Dark City. We see a Hellion and a Reaver trading blows at near-supersonic speeds – off to a good start.

Opening it up, we can see the box is packed with stuff. There are no less than 6 Reaver Jetbikes and 10 Hellion skyboarders in there. Even for the models alone, this set is a great deal and a perfect place to start for anyone wanting to collect an airborne force from the Dark City.

The idea with this box, though, is that these form rival gangs that will battle for supremacy and loot though the spires of the Dark Eldar’s decadent capital. Speaking of which, you get some spires – cardboard pinnacles of Commorragh’s many towers that your gang can expertly weave around (or, if you’re unlucky – collide with…)

The game itself is entirely self-contained set, and all the rules you need to play are in the box. There is a quick start guide for those who want to get battling straight away, quick reference cards for both players, and a more detailed rulebook for those who want even more depth to their games, including expansive rules for a campaign.

Gangs of Commorragh really comes into its own in campaign play. Each warrior can advance, gain skills and be equipped with all the usual wargear you’d expect from Reavers or Hellions. While the customisation of individual models is high, the campaign mechanics themselves are simple and scalable, allowing anything from a couple to dozens of participants, making it ideal for a gaming club.

For those who want, you can also expand your murder-pack into a more powerful gang with more Hellions and Reavers from the Dark Eldar range (though you get easily enough to start off with in the box, with models to spare in both gangs).

We’ll have more news on the gameplay itself very soon, as well as a few gangs that the studio created to test the game out in the office.

This set will be on it’s way later in the month, so keep your eyes on the skies…

Last edit: 10 Jan 2017 16:05 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, allismom3, OldHippy, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Vlad

More
10 Jan 2017 16:53 #242196 by metalface13
Looks like a bit of an X-wing influence with the turning template going up against the base of the mini. So I guess from the way it's painted it's Ravers vs. Hellions? Can't mix them together? The cardboard scenery is pretty disappointing ...

Also I don't know what to make of the campaign being described as "Simple" so far this all feels a lot lighter than Necromunda.

More
10 Jan 2017 17:16 - 10 Jan 2017 20:06 #242197 by Colorcrayons
Reminds me a bit of bfg, actually. I made fire and manuver arcs that fit around the bases like that for BFG long ago. In that sense, the spires are kinda awesome if they are 3D versions of asteroids. Or better than flat representations at least.

More models than I was expecting. I hope it has a similar price point to Gorechosen.

[edit] I forgot a couple more pics...

Last edit: 10 Jan 2017 20:06 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
10 Jan 2017 20:13 - 10 Jan 2017 20:15 #242200 by Sevej
Euh... this is going to be awkwardly priced. From minis alone they worth $130. No way it's going to hit the Gorechosen price point. And anywhere above that point, I don't think I'm willing to fork that much for a racing game...

PS. I like the spires. I imagine they're flying high above dark eldar equivalent of dystopian sci-fi city with those spires jutting up.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2017 20:15 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds