October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Gangs of Commorragh - GW 40K boardgame

More
10 Jan 2017 20:17 #242202 by Michael Barnes
...and with the wood grain of my Danish modern table inches below.

I like everything I see here but seriously, no board? I hate that. It's not like an overhead cityscape at this scale is something you can easily model or buy a mat for.

I'm thinking they will do $65 retail on this- the boxed games have a massively lower price per mini, almost to the point where they are loss leaders.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2017 21:49 #242204 by Colorcrayons
GW has a good track record of cheaper models in their board games. All the way back to the nineties. But then again, I wouldn't be shocked either if they charged more than $80 for this, because... GW.

As for a mat, if no other enterprising artist makes a play field, I'll definitely be making something available. Inkedplaymats has some good prices on printed dye sublimated neoprene game mats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
11 Jan 2017 03:19 #242211 by Vlad
Man, I spent like ten minutes looking at the minis of dudes on hoverboards (DoH) for some reason I couldn't quite understand, but they brought this heartwarming feeling which I was even a little embarrassed of (because obvious reasons).
And I just realized why. There's a dude that kinda looks like Griff Tannen, morosely-aggressive expression and all. And he's on a hoverboard, armed with a staff.
So, I'm renaming this to The Gangs of Hill Valley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Colorcrayons

More
11 Jan 2017 10:35 #242217 by barrowdown
The best discount on the Start Collecting sets was around 40%. With just under $130 in minis, I would guess this would be in the $75-85 range.

More
11 Jan 2017 11:05 #242220 by Robert Facepalmer
It is possible that box could be Gorechosen cheap. The Gorechosen figs individually are $118, while the figure contents of Gangs is $129.

It appears to have the same size and shape of box as both Gorechosen and Lost Patrol, which are both $60. There could be a plan to have a range of 'small-box' board games using existing mini components all at the same price point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
11 Jan 2017 11:22 - 11 Jan 2017 11:23 #242223 by barrowdown
But does a Bloodbound army rely on a bunch of the characters in Gorechosen?

Competitive Dark Eldar armies rely pretty heavily on Reavers, so I would expect that bulk purchases of this would be higher than Gorechosen.

EDIT: If it really is $60, that would be a steal and would probably be able to move a lot of copies.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2017 11:23 by barrowdown.

More
11 Jan 2017 12:24 #242231 by Colorcrayons

barrowdown wrote: But does a Bloodbound army rely on a bunch of the characters in Gorechosen?

Competitive Dark Eldar armies rely pretty heavily on Reavers, so I would expect that bulk purchases of this would be higher than Gorechosen.

EDIT: If it really is $60, that would be a steal and would probably be able to move a lot of copies.

True, but de players also rely on hellions not one iota, as arguably the worst squad in all of 40k by most accounts. So that makes it a wash, at least in theory. Hellions are pretty models, but are likely their top worst seller or close to it. They kinda have been since 3rd ed when I was a hardcore de player. They just stink in the 40k that GW tries to make you play, at least until kill team rules came around in 4th.

I expect it to be more than $60, but if it goes over $75, it's not a purchase for me. If they want to actually keep penetrating the board game market as deeply as they have been or deeper (giggity), they need to keep the price as close to $50 as possible (still the median in boardgame prices). Hence the lackluster spires and a handful of chits to keep production costs minimal. Throw the chip board sheets, rules and model sprues in and ship 'em out.

GW has been out of stock on these two kits for a few weeks now, so I imagine they have taken all their stock and repackaged them into this game. They want these kits moved. Now we need to see exactly how badly they want them moved.

More
11 Jan 2017 20:08 #242258 by Sevej
Coupled with the excellent Start Collecting box, it's actually great if this is $60.

More
16 Jan 2017 10:21 #242474 by Robert Facepalmer
Sounds like it is going to be $60.

Good news on price, somewhat disappointing in expectations of depth now.

More
16 Jan 2017 12:24 #242484 by Colorcrayons
Hey Barnes, let us know when Dan's gets this up for preorder.
I'll be looking forward to some sweet dark eldar action for less than $45 shipped.

More
18 Jan 2017 12:32 #242622 by Colorcrayons
For anyone interested and able to watch so early in the day, they are having a live stream play of Gangs of Commorragh tomorrow at 8:30am CST on war hammer TV on Twitch.

Otherwise I think you need to pay to watch it on twitch if you miss the live play through. Dumb. Just record it and put it on YouTube.

More
19 Jan 2017 10:48 #242676 by Michael Barnes
God damn it now I am wondering it it would be worthwhile to get a Dark Eldar Start Collecting box with this.

More
19 Jan 2017 11:49 - 19 Jan 2017 11:50 #242679 by Colorcrayons
Ok. Watching the live stream right now. I'll list salient points of interest as they appear.

You can have any number of models in your gang. But your gang is split up into 'murder packs' of between 3-10 models. You randomly select which murder pack is used before the game, so it pays to evenly spread out your loot amongst everyone.

You can spend up to 750 points for your murder pack. You get more loot at the end of the game for less models, but risk being outnumbered.

Measurement is in inches. Unknown if measuring devices are included since they were using metal tape measures in the vid.
No rolling road. Just a table, which appeared to be at least 3'x3'. They didn't mention official table perimeter size. Free form combat game, like much of GWs tabletop war games.

Upgrades sound a lot like necromunda and bfg. You get a huge bonus for shooting a model in the rear arc, ala bfg.

Game begins by one side being the ambushed and the other being the ambusher. D6 roll, with modifiers. Highest is ambusher. If difference is one pip, the the ambushed may turn their models 90degrees. 2 pips is 45 degrees. This allows the ambushed to be able to avoid having the ambusher up their poopchutes right out the gates.

First phase of hunter quarry phase. This pertains to chasing a foe in their rear arc and target locking.
Turn structure is interleaved. You move one model, I move one model, repeat until all models moved.
There are maneuver rolls to make prior to movement, similar to bfg but based on stats and compared with a 2D6 roll.
Contains jink rules.
Next phase is combat. (Shooting and Melee combined) Again, interleaved. Combat is resolved again by stats compared to 2D6 roll.

Had to get back to work, so couldn't watch the rest.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2017 11:50 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Brewmiester, charlest

More
19 Jan 2017 12:22 #242680 by Robert Facepalmer
Just watched it as well, though I got in partway through the first turn, so I missed any intro or game beginning.

Rules look like a bit of a mash of current 40k, Necromunda, and some Stormcloud Attack, which isn't too much of a surprise.

Looks fun enough, and the price point is good, so I am sure I will pick it up (being a sucker is good as well...).

That said, it looks really token heavy; activation tokens, damage, stunned (not 100% sure if stunned is a separate token from damage) and hunter/prey (like target lock from X-Wing). There were a couple times they forgot one token or the other, so I am sure that will be a common occurrence in the first few games. Immersion is a little wonky for me. They had the cardboard spire terrain pieces on top of a black mat, so it looked decent, but I can't help but think it would have been better as an arena combat game and instead of spires, they were some kind of obstacles. Even a little change like that could open up the game as you could just throw them out there as scatter terrain, or set them up to do laps or gates to run a circuit. Perhaps I will be surprised and the scenarios will be deeper than I am expecting to see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
20 Jan 2017 12:42 #242762 by Robert Facepalmer
Doc's email just came in. $46.80 from them.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.610 seconds