October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Giant Killer Robots

More
08 Jan 2017 19:53 - 08 Jan 2017 19:58 #242025 by Chapel
Giant Killer Robots was created by Chapel
Has anyone heard of this upcoming title? It's going to cost SO much money. But it looks cool.

Last edit: 08 Jan 2017 19:58 by Chapel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2017 20:01 #242027 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Giant Killer Robots
I saw it at Origins last year. I don't know much about it, other than the robots look cool.

More
23 Feb 2017 23:47 #244452 by Cranberries

More
24 Feb 2017 00:17 - 24 Feb 2017 00:18 #244454 by hotseatgames
It's $100 plus an estimated $35 to ship to the USA. So far I haven't seen any "exclusives" that would tell me I shouldn't just wait and see.

Which makes me ask the question... what are the good giant robot games out there? Are there any?
Last edit: 24 Feb 2017 00:18 by hotseatgames.

More
24 Feb 2017 09:01 - 24 Feb 2017 09:13 #244459 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Giant Killer Robots
Mechwarrior clix was something I was obsessed about a decade plus ago. It was a lighter experience than battletech which I appreciated.

Wasn't there PNP rules for a giant robot game released half a dozen years ago using models from your own collection? The name escapes me, so maybe not that good.

Can't think of many others.

[Edit]
About gkr though, it does look like a rather decent game at first blush with that card activation system and how damage is prepped by cards being removed fromnthe deck, showing decreased fighting capability as you become damaged. The game and card art looks really good too from the videos I saw.

With the three sub units, I would say that this makes a more compelling kaiju game than monpoc does. One could easily apply the rules to the monpoc units and be rather cheap to create.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2017 09:13 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantidman

More
24 Feb 2017 09:33 #244465 by Motorik
Replied by Motorik on topic Giant Killer Robots

Colorcrayons wrote: Mechwarrior clix was something I was obsessed about a decade plus ago. It was a lighter experience than battletech which I appreciated.

I thought I was literally the only person on the planet who liked the Mechwarrior Dark Ages line. Dirt simple rules, pretty cool looking minis (even if the quality was dodgy) and I just really, really like the lore of that universe. Those heat dials could be a pain in the ass to turn, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantidman

More
24 Feb 2017 09:41 #244467 by Colorcrayons

Motorik wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: Mechwarrior clix was something I was obsessed about a decade plus ago. It was a lighter experience than battletech which I appreciated.

I thought I was literally the only person on the planet who liked the Mechwarrior Dark Ages line. Dirt simple rules, pretty cool looking minis (even if the quality was dodgy) and I just really, really like the lore of that universe. Those heat dials could be a pain in the ass to turn, though.

I think the local gaming community in 2001-2002 supported a new game shop in Helena mt for about a year, solely on the sales of dark ages. everyone was buying cases left and right. After the enthusiasm waned during death from above, ithe shop became a non profit organization... XD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Motorik

More
24 Feb 2017 09:51 - 24 Feb 2017 09:53 #244471 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Giant Killer Robots

hotseatgames wrote: Which makes me ask the question... what are the good giant robot games out there? Are there any?

Titan Legions

Last edit: 24 Feb 2017 09:53 by Columbob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, Nodens, barrowdown

More
24 Feb 2017 09:59 - 24 Feb 2017 09:59 #244474 by Motorik
Replied by Motorik on topic Giant Killer Robots
Now THAT'S a fucking cover!

Colorcrayons wrote:

Motorik wrote:

I think the local gaming community in 2001-2002 supported a new game shop in Helena mt for about a year, solely on the sales of dark ages. everyone was buying cases left and right. After the enthusiasm waned during death from above, ithe shop became a non profit organization... XD

That's real odd, man! It's like you were living in a pocket alternate universe or something. I don't recall it selling well at all where I lived, or at least no one else in my gaming circle was buying into it. I think I only managed to ever play three or four games of MW:DA after spending a whole lotta scratch on figures. Still, the lukewarm reception for MW was nothing compared to the confused antipathy that greeted Crimson Skies.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2017 09:59 by Motorik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
24 Feb 2017 10:19 #244477 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Giant Killer Robots

Motorik wrote: Now THAT'S a fucking cover!

You have to wonder what the Imperator is shooting at with its main guns when there's a mofo Mega Gargant bearing down on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Motorik

More
24 Feb 2017 10:57 #244484 by Nodens
Replied by Nodens on topic Giant Killer Robots

Columbob wrote:

Motorik wrote: Now THAT'S a fucking cover!

You have to wonder what the Imperator is shooting at with its main guns when there's a mofo Mega Gargant bearing down on it.

love the church on his head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

More
24 Feb 2017 21:49 #244520 by Colorcrayons
Ugh. I had to back this.

It hits that Gorechosen vibe, but with a bit more complexity and tactics since you have more than a single model on the table. Plus, if I am guessing correctly, the hex size on the board looks really close to the 2.75" hex width I have on my Destroy all Monsters Gorechosen retheme, so I get some double duty for my buck.

But who knows. Like hotseatgames mentions, there isn't much to make me feel I should spend $150 on the game, and may make more sense to wait for it to hit Amazon for $50-$75 and get free shipping.

More
24 Feb 2017 22:12 #244521 by hotseatgames
I don't know.... I just checked back in on it myself. It's looking more and more attractive. I'm still going to wait and see what ends up in the package...

More
25 Feb 2017 00:18 #244522 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Giant Killer Robots
Ha ha MW:DA...my friend and I split a booster box-

Me- "farming mech, farming mech, bulldozer with legs, farming mech..."

My friend- "farming mech, ATLAS, MAD CAT, farming mech."

Me- "..."

It was an OK game actually, pretty decent with lots of infantry and armor going on. It was quite popular around Atlanta but by the time I opened my store in 2004 it was DEAD.

As for GKR, I'll look at it when it hits MM...much more excited about Adeptus Titanicus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
25 Feb 2017 05:17 #244523 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Giant Killer Robots

hotseatgames wrote: Which makes me ask the question... what are the good giant robot games out there? Are there any?

Well, why not Battletech? It's got a mountain of cool novels, RPG elements, killer mech miniatures...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds