October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Anyone get any play time with The Others?

More
23 Jan 2017 21:56 #242908 by Jackwraith
It's Eric Lang, of Chaos in the Old World, XCOM, and Blood Rage fame. It's a 1 vs many thing where monsters around the Seven Sins are opposed by heroes that risk corruption in order to be more effective against the enemies. Looks interesting and I'm at least as interested in Lang's design record as I am anything I briefly scanned on the back of the box. Seems to have pretty high ratings at BGG. Lots of minis. Clear angle for expansion (more Sins (looks like only two included?), more heroes.) Downside? $100 sticker price.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2017 07:20 #242916 by JEM
It's a good game, but not $100 worth, and the minis are mostly superfluous (you get a lot of variations of tentacles and teeth). I enjoy it for what it is, which is an almost abstract strategy game with some comic book aesthetics on top, but I'd wait for the inevitable <$50 sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
24 Jan 2017 08:02 #242919 by SuperflyPete
I've got a copy for you if you want it. I'd like Star Wars Risk: Black Edition among others

More
24 Jan 2017 15:07 #242950 by san il defanso
I only played once, but I thought it was pretty average. My favorite part was the corruption mechanic, which tempted characters to take on more corruption (which isn't positive) to be a bit stronger as well. But it's nothing revelatory. The problem is that there are now a LOT of games that fall into this mechanical bucket, and The Others doesn't do much to distinguish itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
24 Jan 2017 22:00 #242980 by Egg Shen
Most people around here didn't seem to care for it. Barnes HATED it.

It has quietly turned into one of my favorite games of 2016. I think most people's expectation of this was something similar to Descent or Imperial Assault. This is not a dungeon crawler. Yes it's a one vs all game, but like JEM mentions it's almost an abstract. I think the game has more in common with something like Dungeon Twister, than say HeroQuest. That's not to say it plays anything like Dungeon Twister, but the ideas and mechanics are much more abstracted than the production/presentation would leave you to believe. I think the game is really meant to be played as a two player affair. The Others isn't some wannabe RPG where one side is pulling punches to make sure the heroes have an exciting game. It's a balls out fight to the death. It almost feels like a weird asymmetrical deathmatch, with each side participating in their own game, with their own rules.

The corruption mechanic is killer and the way Lang has designed the Sin player is borderline perfect. Since the Sin player doesn't get any actually turns, they can only react to the heroes, it does sort of give the game a herky-jerky pace that is immediately off putting. The cool side effect of this is that a good Sin player will essentially get the heroes to make choices where they kill themselves. The whole experience is unusual, and It took me a handful of games to really get into the groove with this one. Each time I've played it, it has grown on me more and more. I backed the kickstarter, but I've yet to even crack into any of the extra shit that came with it. The base game has a ton of value.

Jackwraith, I know you're a fan of Battlelore 2nd Edition which is a game I adore. The Others, as a two player game, tends to scratch a similar itch to that in a very weird way. It's certainly the dissenting opinion around these parts, but I think it's a terrific game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, JEM

More
25 Jan 2017 18:00 #243038 by jay718
I've not played it, but cool stuff has it on sale for $50 right now if that helps you off the fence...

More
26 Jan 2017 07:58 #243051 by Jackwraith
Thanks for the heads-up, jay. Yeah, for $50, I think I can take the dive, based on that and Egg's recommendation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds