October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Worthwhile older games that are still OOP

More
15 Feb 2017 12:24 #243988 by Matt Thrower
Was thinking that it wasn't that long ago people still paid top dollar for secondhand copies of game designs from the 70's, 80's and (occasionally) 90's that hadn't seen a reprint in a long time. There were so many you could write a worthwhile list feature about them all.

Nowadays it seems as though a concerted effort by publishers to track down and obtain licenses means that almost none of these little gold mines have stayed untouched. That's a good thing and it makes me happy.

But it made me wonder: is there anything left? Are there any classic games that are good enough to still see substantial table time in the modern age that haven't been reprinted and have kind of dropped of people's radars? No-one seems to talk about them any more, at any rate. I guess there are games like Dune where the modern version has been substantially altered and/or re-skinned but that's not what I'm talking about. A modern gamer can still pick up Rex and get a strong sense of what Dune is like to play.

The only one I could think of was Magic Realm, which I would say stretches the credulity of seeing substantial table time in the modern age: it's just too much faff and too complex time-consuming. Personally I also don't think it's very good but of course YMMV. Are there any others?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2017 12:31 #243990 by hotseatgames
If I had the chance to buy Gears of War for cheap, I'd do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Gary Sax, Frohike

More
15 Feb 2017 12:46 #243992 by charlest
Depends on how you define older.

Gears of War
Magic Realm
Queen's Gambit
Ascending Empires
Chaos in the Old World
Dreamblade
Glory to Rome
Gumshoe
Mafia City
MEQ
TIME's Up: Title Recall

Just to name a few.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Gary Sax, Frohike

More
15 Feb 2017 12:59 #243994 by SuperflyPete
Heroscape
Space Crusade
Heroquest
Mission Command: Sea (Carrier Strike)
SEASTRIKE
Attacktix
Through The Desert
Battle of Britain (was recently redone...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Frohike

More
15 Feb 2017 12:59 #243995 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: If I had the chance to buy Gears of War for cheap, I'd do it.

A half price books place near me has a copy for 40$

More
15 Feb 2017 13:40 #244000 by hotseatgames

SuperflyTNT wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: If I had the chance to buy Gears of War for cheap, I'd do it.

New? Because I'd paypal you the money if you picked it up for me.

More
15 Feb 2017 13:47 #244002 by Msample
A similar thing has happened on the wargame side of the hobby as well. There are a lot fewer high price grail OOP games than there used to be. They've either been reprinted, or more likely replaced by newer games on the same subject. For instance, DAK pretty much fired Campaign for North Africa if you wanted a monster North Africa game. Devils Cauldron , for awhile at least, fired Highway to the Reich til DG reprinted the latter. The DG game seems to get decent word of mouth compared to their other "reprints" which are reprints in name only with wholesale rules changes , often much more complex than the original.

Ironically both DAK and Devils Cauldron are OOP again and starting to see some high prices. The former was reprinted once, but was slow to sell out. The latter was put up on a reprint prepub, but failed to garner enough interest. There just aren't enough hardcore wargamers to warrant the print runs some of these older game reprints to make them commercially viable. Some new company is trying to do yet another version of Streets of Stalingrad - this would be the fourth iteration I believe. But it has all the trappings of a dumpster fire operation.

talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddcb3ff/0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Gary Sax

More
15 Feb 2017 13:48 #244003 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

New? Because I'd paypal you the money if you picked it up for me.

It was new and seemed to be in very good condition.

You'd need to come pick it up though.

More
15 Feb 2017 13:48 #244004 by engineer Al

SuperflyTNT wrote: Through The Desert

Really? In a list of games containing "Hero" or "Strike" in most titles, this one seems VERY out of place. Also one that bored me to tears. . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, southernman, Colorcrayons

More
15 Feb 2017 14:37 #244005 by boothwah
Heroquest. Crazy simple. Stupid fun. If they could box store it like they did back in the day I bet it'd be A Thing.

Why has this never been tackled? Is it a rights thing? Is it too expensive to maufacture that much plastic nowadays? I wouldn't think so, based on the pricing they can pull off with pre-painteds in the MtGScape.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, SuperflyPete, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
15 Feb 2017 14:50 #244006 by drewcula
My list is similar to SuperflyTNT:
Heroscape
Heroquest
Space Crusade
but also
Crossbows and Catapults
Dark Tower (my tower needs some TLC)
Fireball Island
Magic Realm
and
Dune. Dune is going to get another reboot, so let's see FFG re-retheme the mechanics again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
15 Feb 2017 14:51 #244007 by hotseatgames
There was that spanish HeroQuest kickstarter a couple of years ago that quickly fell apart, presumably because they didn't actually have a legal right to do it.

But it would be pretty easy to make "Not HeroQuest" and sell that. Hell, the mobile / steam game DarkQuest is that.

More
15 Feb 2017 15:09 #244008 by Columbob
HeroQuest
Advanced HQ
Warhammer Quest
Man O War

and other old OOP GW titles can still bring in top dollars.

That HQ 25th anniversary thing is still going on (not delivered yet - maybe never!), they crowfunded on a Spanish Platform after the KS refusal; they're still showcasing new sculpts and cards every now and then on the website. Threads on BGG are joking they should change it to HQ 30th anniversary.

You can check it out here if you're curious enough. I do about once a year every time someone mentions this and I remember about it.

More
15 Feb 2017 16:09 #244009 by Colorcrayons
Some of the games I came here to suggest are already mentioned. Heroquest and fireball island.

Here are games not mentioned:
Thunder road
Tornado Rex
Forbidden bridge

Most of the games that need to be reprinted are through Hasbro. Other than dune, not many smaller publishers count for that era.

I discount FFG completely since their entry into gaming was in the aughts and their games can still be found even if out of print. Scalpers and speculation are to blame for their high prices, not actual rarity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, boothwah

More
15 Feb 2017 16:16 #244010 by SebastianBludd

drewcula wrote: Crossbows and Catapults

A new version of C&C came out a few years ago but I didn't think it did very well and I got most of my complete set on deep clearance. The minis were complete garbage compared to the originals, though.

Thunder Road is a good one, and I'm surprised there hasn't been a new edition of Star Wars: Epic Duels. Can you imagine if they released an Epic Duels base game with character and deck expansions from all seven movies?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds