October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Worthwhile older games that are still OOP

More
17 Feb 2017 10:05 #244091 by JEM
I'd guess that there are many more "avant-garde" game designers now than previously in totality, though as a smaller percentage of the whole.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2017 12:37 #244104 by Gregarius

SebastianBludd wrote:

san il defanso wrote: Star Wars Epic Duels is another obvious candidate. Any new content would be easy to integrate with the old game too, assuming the minis are all the same scale. That's one of my son's favorite games, and I'd love to play more with him.

There's a Yahoo! group that made a bunch of expansion decks and I ended up making the Lando (with 2 Bespin Guards) and Grievous (with 2 Magna Guards) decks to go with my copy. I used Star Wars Miniatures figs and if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to make the cards - and if some of the minis like Cad Bane weren't so expensive - I would have done more factions.

That's awesome-- I did the exact same thing! Although I can't find the specific files for the Lando card set I made anymore, there are several other variants. There are a ton of other sets out there, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
18 Feb 2017 02:28 #244142 by Dr. Mabuse
Hoity Toity for me too! I had such a blast playing with FATties online a few years ago, that I've been looking for a reasonable copy ever since.

More
18 Feb 2017 10:09 #244153 by allismom3
A US release of Die Schlacht Der Dinosauier(sp?) Battle of the Dinosaurs would be very cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, cdennett

More
20 Feb 2017 17:33 #244259 by Egg Shen
There aren't a whole lot left that haven't been put back into print. Most of it is Mass Market stuff from the 80s and 90s.

HeroQuest - I'd love to see this brought back by GW. However, it still needs to be aimed squarely at young boys and girls...and it needs to be purchasable at Toys R Us and Target. I can't even begin to explain how much of positive impact this game had on me. It wasn't something that I played with my mom and dad. It was my own little world that I would set up, read about, and try to get my friends interested in. A new version would need to retain the simplicity and ease of access that the original did.

Thunder Road - It has been mentioned and it deserves to be back in print, but it will never happen. It's too chaotic/luck driven and people over at ToS who worship at the pulpit of Vasel and others will find little worthwhile in the design. I think this one would end up failing miserably if it made it back into print.

Omega Virus - One of my all time favorites as a kid. I'd love for this to come back as an app driven game. This one I could see getting reprinted 100% as is. It still holds up. "HELP ME! HELP ME! YOU HUMAN SCUM!"

Valley of the Mammoths - This was an early Bruno Faidutti design where players were warring tribes of cavemen. It's a vicious and hilarious game that features more cartoon dicks than 13 year old Black Barney's diary! I'd love to see it come back in print with a few gameplay tweaks. If it ever did there is absolutely no way they keep the french comic style illustrations with all of the boobies and penises. And that would be a shame lol.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - This Mass Market Milton Bradley game is AWESOME. It really captures the essence of the show and plays out like an episode. Very silly, random, and fun.

Chill: black Morn Manor - I don't really know shit about this one. But ever since I got back into gaming it was a title I've always been fascinated with. As a fan of horror themed games this gothic horro boardgame has always spoken to me. I'd love to see a company bring it back in print.

More
20 Feb 2017 17:43 #244261 by san il defanso
Has anyone mentioned Glory to Rome? I like that game a lot. It's definitely got a lot of sharp edges, but that's precisely why I like it so much. It really does open up with more play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
20 Feb 2017 17:46 #244262 by Shellhead

Egg Shen wrote: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - This Mass Market Milton Bradley game is AWESOME. It really captures the essence of the show and plays out like an episode. Very silly, random, and fun.

Chill: black Morn Manor - I don't really know shit about this one. But ever since I got back into gaming it was a title I've always been fascinated with. As a fan of horror themed games this gothic horro boardgame has always spoken to me. I'd love to see a company bring it back in print.

One of my friends mentioned Buffy as a possibility the last time he was over at my place. But the last time I played was an unusually long and epic game that defied all expectations (Oz got lucky as hell and dominated the entire game), and I wasn't ready to play again so soon.

I was randomly thinking about Black Morn Manor today. I owned it for many years, but gladly sold it to a friend for $20. Then another friend was so disappointed that I sold mine that he paid more than double to buy his own copy thru BGG. The sad truth about Black Morn Manor is that several clever ideas don't quite add up to a good game by current standards. It nearly always outstays its welcome because it is too easy for players to randomly switch sides, which constantly undermines efforts to win the game. What could have been a very good 90-minute game often turned into a 150-minute or 180-minute repetitive slog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
20 Feb 2017 17:56 #244265 by Colorcrayons
Re: Thunder Road

Its nearly a perfect game to capture the Mad Max chase-a-thon. But as has been shown on ToS, it could use a slight update. So many attempts at tweaking it have been made, yet none seem to be quite satisfactory. A sleek update that had real design effort put behind it could mean everything.

As it stands though, I doubt it would see a reprint either without it.

More
20 Feb 2017 18:39 #244266 by Cranberries

Colorcrayons wrote: Re: Thunder Road

Its nearly a perfect game to capture the Mad Max chase-a-thon. But as has been shown on ToS, it could use a slight update. So many attempts at tweaking it have been made, yet none seem to be quite satisfactory. A sleek update that had real design effort put behind it could mean everything.

As it stands though, I doubt it would see a reprint either without it.

I fear that the movie is too old for there to be much of a market for it. It made $300 million+ globally, or about twice its budget. Did that many people see it?

egg shen wrote: Thunder Road - It has been mentioned and it deserves to be back in print, but it will never happen. It's too chaotic/luck driven and people over at ToS who worship at the pulpit of Vasel and others will find little worthwhile in the design. I think this one would end up failing miserably if it made it back into print.

Not to be a nit picker, but I don't really see Vasel as the torch bearer for crappy point salad. He is often seen ragging on themeless Euros.

More
20 Feb 2017 18:40 #244267 by Msample

san il defanso wrote: Has anyone mentioned Glory to Rome? I like that game a lot. It's definitely got a lot of sharp edges, but that's precisely why I like it so much. It really does open up with more play.

From what I've read, Ed Carter is too butt hurt/stubborn to license it to a reputable publisher. Too bad. It's a fucking card game, it wouldn't be that hard.

More
20 Feb 2017 19:08 #244268 by Egg Shen

cranberries wrote:

egg shen wrote: Thunder Road - It has been mentioned and it deserves to be back in print, but it will never happen. It's too chaotic/luck driven and people over at ToS who worship at the pulpit of Vasel and others will find little worthwhile in the design. I think this one would end up failing miserably if it made it back into print.

Not to be a nit picker, but I don't really see Vasel as the torch bearer for crappy point salad. He is often seen ragging on themeless Euros.

You are correct in that he rags on themeless Euros. However, he and his crew seem to despise roll n' move games or stuff that is entirely luck/experience driven (DungeonQuest, Talisman, etc...) I could just see him tearing a Thunder Road reprint to shreds.

More
20 Feb 2017 21:24 #244273 by Colorcrayons
Well, Fury Road is the contemporary mad max flick, with another one on the way if rumors are to be believed. It could have a market.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds