October 09, 2023
2480 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

RIP BSG?

More
17 Feb 2017 10:04 #244090 by san il defanso
RIP BSG? was created by san il defanso
Reading this BSG thread, there seems to be some signs that Fantasy Flight is putting Battlestar Galactica out to pasture.

Here's the thread...

If true, it's not a tragedy or anything. The game had an excellent run, much longer than anyone could have reasonably expected. Three expansions is impressive, even if none of them managed to really elevate the original game. Besides, the IP really isn't very meaningful to a lot of people anymore. And honestly, I haven't played much in the last three or four years. I always like playing it again though, I should dust it off with my new group.

But it does make me a little sad. BSG was for me at least a formative game. I never really wanted anything to do with long thematic experiences before this game, but this one was really my gateway to this end of the hobby, and really to this site as well. It's still the best hidden role game I've played, and probably the game that nails its setting and themes best after Dune.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2017 10:19 #244092 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic RIP BSG?
Not only is the IP old, but the hidden traitor mechanic has been done many times since.

If this is truly the end, it had a great run and sold a ton of copies. Shouldn't be too hard to find for now, but if and when it does disappear from retail I think enough copies were printed that it will take awhile to accelerate in value.

More
17 Feb 2017 10:51 #244093 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic RIP BSG?
I only played it once, and it took forever. Dead of Winter replaces it for me with no problem.

And the game that best nails its setting and theme is Spartacus. :)

More
17 Feb 2017 10:57 #244094 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic RIP BSG?
It was fun, despite length. It was a sign of things to come for FFG as far as convoluted bloat goes.

BSG Express is my go to when I want hidden traitor nowadays.

More
17 Feb 2017 11:06 #244096 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic RIP BSG?

Colorcrayons wrote: It was fun, despite length. It was a sign of things to come for FFG as far as convoluted bloat goes.

BSG Express is my go to when I want hidden traitor nowadays.

I gave the expansions a lot of chances (the first two anyway) and I think the bloat rears its head most in those. After stripping them out I was impressed at how lean the original game felt.

More
17 Feb 2017 11:08 #244097 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic RIP BSG?
The base game had flaws, but overall was a very good game. The expansions offered an expanded ala carte menu of rules, but generally weren't worth the money.

More
17 Feb 2017 11:12 #244098 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic RIP BSG?

Shellhead wrote: The base game had flaws, but overall was a very good game. The expansions offered an expanded ala carte menu of rules, but generally weren't worth the money.

Just another comparison between BSG and Dune that holds up.

More
17 Feb 2017 11:45 #244100 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic RIP BSG?

hotseatgames wrote: I only played it once, and it took forever. Dead of Winter replaces it for me with no problem.

I'd take BSG over Dead of Winter. It's too easy for a losing player, or a traitor, to collapse the entire game and ensure no-one wins. It also has bad downtime issues. Not that it's a bad game overall, mind, it just doesn't improve on BSG in any meaningful way for me.

And while BSG is long, I've found it to have an oddly predictable play time. Seems to run three hours like clockwork unless there's an early traitor win.

Not played in a while. Might have to get it off the shelf again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
17 Feb 2017 12:16 #244101 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic RIP BSG?
One thing BSG did exceptionally well IMO was capturing the theme and feel of the IP.

Not that it would be the same mechanic, but I can't help but wonder if Babylon 5 came out say 15 years later than it did, what kind of games we'd see using that IP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Feb 2017 15:39 #244119 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic RIP BSG?
Can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading here.

Spartacus having more theme than BSG - bollocks.
Base game had flaws - bollocks.
Played to long - only if you're a eurogamer trying to get three games played in an evening.
Too much bloat in the expansions - possibly with Daybreak there was but not in Pegasus, although it was a weaker expansion, and maybe in Exodus only if you play both Conflicted Loyalties and Ionian Nebulae options and some people be dicks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Matt Thrower, jur, Msample, san il defanso, wadenels

More
17 Feb 2017 15:56 #244122 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic RIP BSG?
BSG captured the theme WAY too good for it to be played with friends. We literally got into a screaming match last time accusing each other of being traitors. It was awful.

i won't miss it
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
17 Feb 2017 16:12 #244123 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic RIP BSG?
too long and boring. I much prefer Dark Moon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
17 Feb 2017 16:53 - 20 Feb 2017 08:48 #244126 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic RIP BSG?

Southernman wrote: Base game had flaws - bollocks.

I'm with you on most of your points, but you don't think the Sleeper mechanism was flawed? People would often take damage on a single stat forcing it into the red for gamey, non-thematic reasons.

Also, some games will have pilots with literally nothing to do because either Cylon fleet cards never come out, or Galactica jumps almost right away.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2017 08:48 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Columbob, Unicron

More
17 Feb 2017 17:27 #244127 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic RIP BSG?

MattDP wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: I only played it once, and it took forever. Dead of Winter replaces it for me with no problem.

I'd take BSG over Dead of Winter. It's too easy for a losing player, or a traitor, to collapse the entire game and ensure no-one wins. It also has bad downtime issues. Not that it's a bad game overall, mind, it just doesn't improve on BSG in any meaningful way for me.

I agree, sadly. While Dead of Winter seemed fun at first, after a couple games our group came to realize most of the time spent in the game was not spent actually playing it but in ultimately boring stuff like reading cards, drawing cards and rolling dice. In the end, it seems the "mechanical core" of the game is very shallow and the "negotiation/don't trust" aspect impacts it very little so it doesn't really end up being as fun as it should.

I also agree it's very easy for the traitor to tank the game. In that sense, it was a game I liked at first but that I'm grown less attracted to over time.

it pains me to admit that the vast majority of its running time is spent in
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
17 Feb 2017 17:51 #244129 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic RIP BSG?

charlest wrote:

Southernman wrote: Base game had flaws - bollocks.

I'm with you on most of your points, but you don't think the Sleeper mechanism wasn't flawed? People would often take damage on a single stat forcing it into the red for gamey, non-thematic reasons.

Also, some games will have pilots with literally nothing to do because either Cylon fleet cards never come out, or Galactica jumps almost right away.

I'll nearly give you that one, I've forgotten about that as we never played it with the Sympathizer after the first game or two, either with 5 players or a Cylon Leader or Mutineer (only once, can't even remember how that plays) when with 6.
The gaming the sleeper was a gamble though and could give an edge to the game.
And yes the Cylon fleet cards could cause havoc or not, but then you could say that was thematic with the show - chased constantly in some arcs and a quiet time in others :-) We had one game where the fleet cards came out so fast that us Cylons won before the first jump - but that can't be any worse than the annihilations we all suffer in Eldritch or Arkham Horrors
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds