October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

GW publishing new edition of Talisman

More
19 Feb 2017 15:56 #244183 by Frohike
I knew this was probably going to happen, but I wasn't expecting it quite so soon.

www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/19/talisman-update/
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2017 16:09 #244184 by metalface13
Saw that too. I figured the FFG split wouldn't mean the end of Talisman, but very little info. I wonder if it will be Age of Sigmar themed like how 3rd edition was Old World themed.

More
19 Feb 2017 17:13 #244185 by Gary Sax
I would say I trust FFG a little bit more on better playtesting and solid design, a little less on flamboyant ideas and fun off the rails stuff. So who knows?

More
19 Feb 2017 20:26 #244187 by san il defanso
I'm sure their version will be great, but I wonder if it might be good for them to let it cool off for a year or two before a reprint. Even with 4th edition gone, there are a ton of copies out there still. I wonder how that might affect demand, or if it will at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Feb 2017 20:38 - 19 Feb 2017 20:41 #244188 by Colorcrayons
I bet it will do well. GW have been doing pretty good lately at marketing boardgames to their core model buying demographic.

You do see a lot of vocal "if it doesn't contain a codex for my army in the game, no sale" type of blinkard philistine pig ignorant comments that we've cometo expect from such non-creative garbage*, but a lot of the wargamers I knew that played 40K/WHFB 24/7 are pretty excited about GW broadening their product line.

*thanks John Cleese
Last edit: 19 Feb 2017 20:41 by Colorcrayons.

More
20 Feb 2017 08:56 #244202 by wadenels
I love Talisman. I have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th editions with all the major expansions. I will probably get into a new GW Talisman, but it really depends. If they have GW store exclusives or a bunch of White Dwarf stuff I need to seek out or a bunch of rules for characters that I need to buy separately as part of a model pack, or any of that crap them I'm out. Nonsense like that is the reason it's nearly impossible to ever assemble a "complete" 3rd edition set. I also just don't care about Age of Sigmar, so I hope they keep it kind of setting free like the 2nd and 4th editions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, drewcula

More
20 Feb 2017 09:53 - 20 Feb 2017 09:53 #244207 by drewcula
I blame all of y'all for the Talisman encouragement last year. I dove in after many of you voiced approval to a great Craigslist score. I played. I enjoyed it. I played with my wife. SHE enjoyed it. Then the FFG/GW axe fell. I scrambled, and bought everything. Now, I'm set. I have more Talisman to explore for years to come. GW's reprint will put my gamer/collector's OCD to test, but I think I'll succeed. It'll only take one mention of a White Dwarf exclusive, or one $45 FW mini, for me to pass.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2017 09:53 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Colorcrayons, wadenels

More
20 Feb 2017 10:15 #244213 by san il defanso
Yeah, I think I'll be able to resist this as well. I just don't see GW producing the same volume of content that FFG made, even though the production will likely be awesome.

I'm wondering about the cost of this as well. If it's on the same scale as other GW games, it's going to be a lot more expensive than 4th edition. GW fans won't care, but it'd definitely price it out of the more mainstream level where FFG had it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
20 Feb 2017 10:19 #244215 by drewcula
Blood Bowl (2016) has been the GW barometer for me. If they want me to shell out $45 for a Morg N Thorg mini (plus shipping), they can go fuck themselves.

Unlike Mr. White's disgust with the FFG Talisman minis, I find them horribly charming. They are just pawns after all. Presumably, GW's new chrome on this edition won't be enough to sway me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
20 Feb 2017 13:23 #244236 by Michael Barnes
Well, it depends...I have everything for the FFG edition. If GW does a really great job of porting it over to Age of Sigmar AND if it includes miniatures that can be used across games then I'm definitely in. If not, then I'm less interested in it if only because I have the entire FFG product line. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

More
20 Feb 2017 16:44 #244254 by Egg Shen
I'm an absolute Talisman nut and I've managed to track down everything that FFG produced for 4th Edition. I've got enough game there to last me a lifetime...and then some.

I just don't know what GW can with Talisman at this point to make it worthwhile. The FFG version added gentle tweaks here and there that made the game slightly more modern, but retained the roots and initial design concepts. Still, GW is sort of the king of "classic style" Ameritrash and I will certainly be eager to see what they do with it. I'm hoping that it features snap together minis, or something that is less time consuming than their regular products. I don't mind putting minis together, but it also means that the game won't get played for a very long time.

Good to know that the brand will live on. I fully expect them to announce something with Fury of Dracula as well.

More
20 Feb 2017 20:43 #244271 by Columbob
Anyone played the digital Horus Heresy Talisman? That could be interesting for GW to do in cardboard form.

More
25 Apr 2017 16:33 - 25 Apr 2017 16:42 #247202 by Mr. White
The Age of Sigmar seems like it would be a great fit for Talisman.

* The Talisman itself is the sort of high fantasy mcguffin that one would expect to find in the AoS.
* The classic Talisman board, with its inner, outer, and corner boards is already the perfect layout for the different themed AoS realms (Azyr, Ghur, etc)
* Bad guys as player characters has been a set precedence with Silver Tower.
* I can see them adding WD characters for existing WHQ and AoS minis.
* I'd get a kick if they even mention that Talisman Apoclypse thing in the fluff both in reference to the former FFG title and the demise of the Old World as well.

Looking at the total package, AoS may actually be the most suitable setting Talisman has ever been set in.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2017 16:42 by Mr. White.

More
26 Apr 2017 16:57 #247297 by Stonecutter
I honestly don't see the point to this, other than to keep the game available. It's... Talisman, Christ. Roll, move, draw a card, roll, kill ill and gain a trophy, don't kill and lose a life. 4th edition had more game available than you could ever, ever explore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
26 Apr 2017 17:10 #247300 by the_jake_1973
In no universe is ANOTHER edition of Talisman needed. An FFG version was never needed. Peak Talisman was reached with 2nd edition. It was a roll and move Munchkin then and will be an AoS Munchkin now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.734 seconds