October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Star Wars Destiny - now totally collectable

More
01 Mar 2017 09:25 #244675 by Gary Sax
I dunno. People lap Magic and the like up, right? So I'm guessing there's a big audience for CCG/CC dice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2017 09:42 #244676 by SuperflyPete
Ebay scalpers just creamed their jeans
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Msample, Colorcrayons

More
01 Mar 2017 10:18 - 01 Mar 2017 10:19 #244677 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: Is anybody outside of FFG/Asmodee happy about this gaming being collectible?

Speculators. I bet the next / final wave of Awakenings will be basically sold out before it even hits retail. And there will be dealers who will get shorted on what they order, since this will be allocated product for the foreseeable future.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2017 10:19 by Msample.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
01 Mar 2017 11:48 #244680 by stormseeker75
The biggest problem with Destiny is that you simply CANNOT play without rares/Legendaries. Those are the only cards that have dice. At least with Magic or pretty much any other CCG ever, you could play with just commons and uncommons if you wanted to. This new development will destroy the game casually and drive the cost of competition through the roof. I had bought in pretty heavy and then realized it was a mistake so I sold everything. Glad I did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Colorcrayons

More
01 Mar 2017 14:18 #244684 by mads b.

stormseeker75 wrote: The biggest problem with Destiny is that you simply CANNOT play without rares/Legendaries. Those are the only cards that have dice. At least with Magic or pretty much any other CCG ever, you could play with just commons and uncommons if you wanted to. This new development will destroy the game casually and drive the cost of competition through the roof. I had bought in pretty heavy and then realized it was a mistake so I sold everything. Glad I did.

This is very true. And it gets even worse in that new versions of existing characters will have new dice and not recycle old one like in Dice Masters. To be honest I like the idea of a collectible game. I like being able to buy a booster pack or two every now and then, and I play so casually that not having good cards is no big deal. But it is quite expensive to just field a decent team because of all the characters being rare/legendary, and that sucks.

More
01 Mar 2017 14:44 #244685 by Gary Sax

stormseeker75 wrote: The biggest problem with Destiny is that you simply CANNOT play without rares/Legendaries. Those are the only cards that have dice. At least with Magic or pretty much any other CCG ever, you could play with just commons and uncommons if you wanted to. This new development will destroy the game casually and drive the cost of competition through the roof. I had bought in pretty heavy and then realized it was a mistake so I sold everything. Glad I did.

Can you explain this? I find it baffling.

More
01 Mar 2017 15:12 #244686 by Msample
Gary don't know if you've never played Destiny, the character cards which are Rare/Legendary ( Super Rare ) in terms of frequency have dice associated with them . Each character has a draft cost of anywhere from 7-20 points .

Normal rules state that each player builds a deck with character cards that add up to 30 points. So most decks out there have 2-4 character dice out there to start with.

Plus you have 30 more cards in their draw deck. Some of these additional cards also have dice attached to them - weapons, attachments, etc.

Some builds out there require 2 dice from a given character, which means you have to acquire a second card/die combo.

The starter boxes come with 2 character cards, one having 2 dice ( Kylo Ren or Rey ) and the other ( Stormtrooper, Finn ) having one die. Then there are a bunch of common/uncommon cards ( fixed not random ) that you can build a deck around. But unless you buy boosters, you're build options are extremely limited because you only have the two characters/3 dice.

So unlike the Dicemaster Starters, whose starters have many characters and dice, SW:D has a lot less up front options with just a starter box. And since character dice are rare or worse, you have to invest a lot more than DM to get a decent variety of cards .

More
01 Mar 2017 15:26 #244687 by Gary Sax
Oh, so the characters (the dice) are what are attached to "rare" rarity? That SUCKS.

More
01 Mar 2017 15:46 #244688 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: Oh, so the characters (the dice) are what are attached to "rare" rarity? That SUCKS.

Yep. All the iconic characters are Rare or Legendary. Hell even secondary characters like Biala Tik are Rare. The Common/Uncommon dice card combos are for support/weapons. Its not possible to have a deck without 2-4 character dice. Period.

Here is something that just occurred to me. From a retailers standpoint, the tight supply not only means lost sales and customers defecting to internet sellers like MM who will have a ton of allocated product , but between that and the way the game is constructed, any OP events will have to be constructed deck events, not draft. There will never be enough supply for draft, and even if there was, the draft options would be pretty limited unless you forced players to buy a fair number of boosters to ensure getting 4-6 character dice on the table to even draft from. Nobody is going to enter a draft event where you each have to pony up $20 just to draft.

More
01 Mar 2017 15:57 #244690 by Shellhead
Sounds more like a heartless money grab than an actual game.

More
01 Mar 2017 16:14 #244691 by Msample
I don't have a problem with a money grab per se. FFG is a business, not some non profit that BGGtards think every game company should be.

Its clear that FFG underestimated demand for the game. From all indications, consumer reaction from the initial announcement was luke warm, including some discussion here .

fortressat.com/forum/10-ameritrash/19883...destiny?limitstart=0

Retailers probably weren't too aggressive with placing orders.

Then the game launches and people are surprised - they actually like the game play. Then the feeding frenzy begins and FFG has to play catch up. But given factory lead times, its gonna take awhile. To boot, apparently the process for making the dice is the choke point. I think that may be the limiting factor moreso than FFG's forecasting.

Where I do differ from FFG's approach is that they are already running the risk of stunting the games player base by walking away from Awakenings so fast. Its clear the player pool will shrink as players get turned off by tight supply. I'd devote the manufacturing capacity to pumping out as much Awakenings as possible, within reason, then go to the next set. I mean if they are already setting up the tooling for more Awakenings, run it for longer before you switch to the next set.

Whatever. I was on the fence but refuse to chase a game whose already high MSRP entry cost will be driven even higher by scarcity that could be somewhat alleviated IMO.

More
01 Mar 2017 16:42 #244693 by Shellhead
Those are simply production and distribution issues. I'm talking about basing the gameplay on the rares. Good for business, but bad game design.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds