October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadow War: Armageddon

More
22 Apr 2017 16:16 #246961 by Michael Barnes
Inquisition seems really expensive to start if you don't already have pieces.

Sisters...$80 for a metal squad...at least right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2017 17:01 #246962 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Shadow War: Armageddon

Michael Barnes wrote: Sisters...$80 for a metal squad...at least right now.

...or $60 shipped for 10 highly customizable and rather well sculpted sisters in high quality resin.

fortressat.com/forum/10-ameritrash/19932...don?start=120#246261

Until GW makes plastic sisters, I see zero reason to give GW money for FailCost™® resin. In fact, these sculpts will probably still be cheaper than GW's own offerings judging by their recent common pricing structure for 5 plastic models for $50. Fuck. That. Shit.

More
22 Apr 2017 17:51 - 22 Apr 2017 17:55 #246964 by Michael Barnes
Well here's an interesting thing. In the "pick your side" thing on the new 40k site, it has Adeptus Sororitas. So I am thinking they are at least maybe moving toward plastic Sisters. Especially with the Canonness being such a big hit, the Triumvirate thing, and now they are in SWA.

They are also listing Ynnead as a distinct faction.

It's going to be interesting to see if SWA manages to take some of the wind out 8th edition's sails...I've heard a lot of talk at the shop about how folks are really more interested in skirmish level. And it is WAY more accessible- no need to buy and paint a 2000 point army.

I really love that I can get into multiple factions with it and enjoy the whole setting. I am thinking I may actually collect them all eventually. Think I might do a Thousand Sons CSM kill team after I get through all of the painting I have lined up.

I got my Goliath in today, that thing is just adorable. It's like a 40k Tonka truck. It's going to be a really fun piece of terrain- I'm building it with the open bed so dudes can take cover in it. I'm not putting the GSC dudes on it though, it's just scenery. I may house rule that the weapons in it can be used though, with standard heavy weapon stats.

The only thing is when you have something like that on the table and you are playing with a kid, the entire game becomes about putting a guy in it, driving it, firing the gun on it, etc. at the expense of all strategy and tactics.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2017 17:55 by Michael Barnes.

More
22 Apr 2017 18:18 #246966 by Colorcrayons
I do think plastic sisters will be highly likely. I mean, they made plastic seraphm sister superiors in the triumverate for chrissakes. To not capitalize on that and only tease consumers like that would be like GW saying that they hate money.

But for right now, Im ordering from the sneaky fuckin' russians for my sororitas needs.

More
22 Apr 2017 20:26 #246968 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
I'd wait for GW to do them in plastic, but what would I know about russian toys...

Getting one inquisitor is expensive... besides the model I like most is this new Greyfax, which would set me back like 30$ on ebay. I hope they release her as an individual model eventually. BUT, I always wanted to paint one, and the fact that it can be a quite useful skirmish model adds purpose to the endeavour.

More
22 Apr 2017 23:57 #246975 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
You don't need to buy any of GW's premade inquisitors. Just google Inq28 or visit the amazing forums on Ammo Bunker ( s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/forum/3012278/ ) to see the awesome things people kitbash together to play Inquistor and Inquisimunda. People make some awesome characters just by kitbashing together from the Skitarri, Genestealer Cult and Scion kits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, Vlad

More
23 Apr 2017 19:08 #247002 by Vlad
This is an awesome idea.
By the way, I started eyeing Genestealer cults, can I go with the basic acolytes or neophyte hybrids are also necessary?
Damn, they all look so good.

More
25 Apr 2017 09:31 #247127 by Michael Barnes
Well, if you have Deathwatch Overkill, you can practically make KTs out of what is in that box. You get the Neophytes with autoguns, grenade launchers and mining lasers and also Acolytes there. But without DO, you would want to get the Neophyte box. It's actually not quite enough though, IMO, because GSC is sort of an Ork-like army. You want to field larger groups of cheap dudes, lots of dakka. The box also gets you shotguns (which look awesome and are fun to play with), web pistols, flamers, hand weapons for your leader, etc.

So in sum- if you have DO, get the Neophyte box and you are solid. If you do not have DO, maybe see about getting some loose DO sprues and then the Neophyte box. Or two Neophyte boxes.

I built the Goliath yesterday, it actually has three Neophytes with it. Since I'm using it chiefly as terrain, I'm not putting them on it and instead basing them as regular figures. Love that thing.

Looks like they are doing Sector Mechanicus bases. So I need like 100 of them. There is also something going up for preorder called "Galvanic Servo-Haulers". I _think_ this is a set with the sprues featuring the big spider thing and the other little dangling crane thing. So that has a couple of walkways in it too.

More
25 Apr 2017 12:43 #247155 by Vlad
How about if I start with a box of Neophytes and another of Acolytes? They seem pretty compatible.

Been painting Wyches. I thought I'd have more fun, but these are older models and it shows. And unlike old Skaven whom I really liked, Wyches do seem to require quite a bit of precision. And then it doesn't come out very good anyway, because female wyches have a 100% drag queen look. I don't think it is intentional.

More
26 Apr 2017 09:17 #247248 by charlest
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Colorcrayons

More
27 Apr 2017 10:48 #247353 by Michael Barnes
Cranes!

spikeybits.com/2017/04/new-pics-40k-cran...-wd-grombrindal.html

Docs has them for $31- that's a no brainer.

Also some Sector Mechanicus bases are up...but I still prefer fairly generic bases. I can deal with the disconnect when it's a simple sanded base, but not when it's detailed. What if the dude is not standing on matching terrain? Ugh!

I'm realizing more and more that having a lot of the elevated stuff is awesome, but not necessary. I played the other day and had NO walkways/platforms, just lots of ground stuff, and it was just as awesome. I think it's easy to get caught up on centralizing that stuff because of Necromunda and also because it's cool, but I would actually advise budget players to invest more in stuff like the containers.

Tyranids are a son of a bitch.

More
27 Apr 2017 11:03 #247355 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Those cranes are cool. I'll have to grab some at some point. Although that ork rock grinder is super cool. Do you have yours assembled?

More
27 Apr 2017 11:05 #247356 by Colorcrayons
This is why I use clear bases, after 25+ years of basing figs. The basing is nice, but go to any different table and sometimes the difference is jarring enough to laugh in the face of your suspended disbelief.
So now I don't bother with the extra work.
Though pinning and gluing a model to a clear base does introduce its own problems too.

I think that out side of style points, a ton of multileveled stuff is unnecessary. Two levels seem to always work well enough. The amount of balance you have for cover is important, not really the height.

The cranes look nice and are a first pieces of gw terrain I have wanted to buy since cities of death was released. Generic enough to use with any brand of sci fi stuff. GW should go that route rather than covering every square inch with a tech adepts drafting lessons.

More
27 Apr 2017 12:22 #247360 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
I know this was mentioned in a previous thread but I can't seem to find it - Those ordering stuff from Doc's, how long do you wait on a non-preorder item before you ask them to cancel? Should I get a shipping notice instantly?

I ordered those containers and the manufactorum a week ago and haven't heard anything.

More
27 Apr 2017 12:28 #247361 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
If it's in stock you will get a ship notice within a day or two. If it's out of stock I think you are likely to hear nothing. I had placed an order for the containers and some out of box minis. The containers shipped, but at the time I didn't know that's all that was shipped. When I got the package and opened it, there was a note that the other things were back ordered.

As for cancelling, I suppose that's just up to your level of patience.

I will also second Barnes' opinion that the shipping containers are cool as hell.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds