October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadow War: Armageddon

More
20 May 2017 20:28 #248792 by Michael Barnes
Whoa whoa whoa. That box, even at full retail, is a HELL of a deal for the terrain. You might want to grab a couple if you are getting into this...or...want to flip them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2017 22:50 - 20 May 2017 22:51 #248794 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
It must be low traffic. You don't need the starter set, of course, but now that I am doing multiple teams I kind of regret not having scouts and orcs, to say nothing about the awesome terrain.

As far as Necromunda vs Shadow Wars, I haven't played Necromunda, but read the rules, so here are my two cents. Necromunda looks like more rags-to-riches kind of campaign, you're strapped for resources and your dudes start weak and grow stronger. In SW, your kill team is a formidable force from the start, and you have a lot of supplies. With just one mission, you get at least 100 points (+ another hundred if you sell the prometheum), so you get more toys/bodies. I also saw a lot moreinjuries/wounds in necromunda than in SW. I guess it makes the campaign go faster and the consequences less punishing, and is (probably) less immersive than Necromunda. On the other hand, from what I heard from people who played both games, the factions are way more asymmetrical and varied and this makes each encounter feel fresh (if you're playing with/against different factions, at least). The abundance of points also give more possibilities to create a more unique build.

When I got into SW, I thought I'd need to play a campaign to get the full experience (and I still intend to join one), but so far it has been all one-offs and still enjoyed it.
Last edit: 20 May 2017 22:51 by Vlad.

More
20 May 2017 23:40 #248796 by Vlad
I played a cool game against the boy this evening.
He played with my Imperial Guard. Sgt. Kurtwood - unarmed. Corp. Paxton with a frag grenade launcher. Corp. Hauer as a sniper. Corp. Mcqueen with a cigar and a plasma gun. And 3 or 4 dudes with lasguns (can't remember now).
I played with Chaos Space Marines, leaded by Mola Ram with a power fist and a bolt pistol. Zorg carried a heavy bolter. Captain Scatter with bolt pistol and a chainsword and Spikelord with a bolter.
(just as a side-note, IG and their load-out is my team, while my son holds the intellectual property to that CSM squad... yet for some reason, he wanted to play with the guard).

We did the scavenger mission with three crates. The IG deployed in a swarm-around-the-sarge formation, not close or apparently aiming for any loot. They started moving, blob-like with complete disregard for cover. I posted Spikelord and Scatter behind cover with intentions of shooting that blob as soon as it got into their sights. Mola Ram sprinted for the crates. Zorg climbed the boom of a nearby crane and on the magnavent platform. I figured his heavy bolter could do wonders to the IG once they got near him. Besides, one of the crates was on that platform.

The thing with the blob didn't go as well as expected. I brought down his sniper (for some reason, Hauer decided that it was in his best interest to scout ahead), but shortly thereafter both Spikelord and Scatter were pinned by intense lasfire and grenades. The mob advanced towards them went UNDER the magnavent platform, so Zorg and his heavy bolter never got a clear line of sight. He picked up the crate and overwatched the remaining crate. One guard decided it would be a good idea to pick it, anyway, and he separated himself from the mob. Despite the running and overwatch penalties, he got promptly cut by Zorg's firepower and died shortly thereafter. The thing is, Zorg also ran out of ammo. Mola Ram picked up the third crate, and I started to plan for a re-treat.

However, to my surprise it turned out that the IG mob was not at all going after the still pinned marines. They were all heading for a ladder, and three of them emerged on the platform right behind the now ammo-less Zorg. The lasfire didn't damage him, but he failed his initiative test and fell off the catwalk, injuring himself in the process (we decided that the crate was dropped on the catwalk).

Although the move was an audacious one, it gave a brief respite to my pinned warriors. Scatter charged into the midst of the guards gathered around the ladder and cut Mcqueen and his plasma in half. Spikelord shot Paxton off the catwalk, but miraculously Paxton only got pinned as the result.

I thought about sprinting Mola Ram back to my base with two crates, but got greedy and decided to pick up the crate left by Zorg on the catwalk. I figured I would trap the remaining guards in close combat between Scatter and Mola Ram... but Hauer, the sniper, recovered from his flesh wound and, attention, charged Scatter thus preventing him to go up the stairs.

So, you get a wounded sniper with a knife fighting a chaos space marine armed with a chainsword and a bolt pistol. What do you think is going to happen? Yeah, I thought so, too, but then Scatter rolled 1 and 2, and Hauer got a whooping 5, One of those three wounds passed both through toughness and the armor, and then Scatter was dead and Hauer himself could believe what has just happened. Meanwhile, Mola Ram positioned himself behind some shields and barrels on the catwalk and shot down one of the guards. But, again surprisingly, the boy moved the remaining two guards just a couple of inches and declared that Mola Ram was completely on the open now. The ensuing las-fire propelled Mola Ram down to the crocodiles ground, resulting in a serious injury from the fall. And then I failed the bottle test, and the guards ended up in possession of all 3 crates.

Of the CSM, two injured from falls and one dead from a knife wound (you can't imagine the cheers). Of the guards, two dead and two injured.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Mr. White, stormseeker75, hotseatgames

More
21 May 2017 11:06 #248807 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
stormseeker... check your PMs

More
23 May 2017 12:33 #248901 by Vlad
So, Deathworld Forest.

I got initially scared when I saw "made in China" on the box. Not sure if it was my bias, but the pieces didn't seem to glue together easily, and I washed and scraped them like I usually don't do with GW stuff. In the end, it didn't take me so much time to put the set together, but it is way clunkier than sector mechanicus terrain. The pieces are big and irregularly shaped (because jungle), and I have no idea how to storage them. Or how to package them for moving. Anyway.

The good stuff is that the design is really crazy in psychedelic-alien-jungle-way, and it has tons of little details (vines, funghi, flowers, pointy spikes, etc.). It pretty much looks like a set for Avatar. And there're tons of pieces. I was worried about painting it because I couldn't find one tutorial on-line, and almost no pictures except for those on the box. But the suggestions on the box are very useful (I would have never come up with the idea of painting trunks with ratskin flesh and washing with violet by myself). So far, I've based and washed everything. It was fast and easy. Like in the mechanicus sets, I feel like you can mess up without this being an issue, because alien nature is capricious.

Although I am planning this for Shadow War, I'll probably use it for Sigmar, too. There's nothing here that screams "exclusive 40K". For SW, it is a nice variation from the straight angles of Mechanicus and containers. Also, most stuff here is climbable. Or you could put dudes under a big tree, and get protection from trunks and vines. I am very pleased so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
23 May 2017 14:28 #248906 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, the made in China stuff is pretty jank. Joints aren't even, they leave big ol' burrs when you cut them from the sprue, sometimes things are warpy...most of the AOS terrain is made in China, and you can really tell the difference between it and the UK product.

I was thinking about the DWF, but now with the graveyard stuff I think I'm just going on with that and maybe some more Citadel woods and some ruins. Not good for SWA, but I'm pretty satisfied at this point with what I have there. I just got the Servohaulers, that is a FUN kit. Just like the containers, it's surprising how much fun industrial equipment is for these games.

I just need that dude I bought the acid pits from like a month ago to send the damn things...

More
23 May 2017 15:29 #248926 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Last week I received a huge package from Doc's with five or six of the Sector Mechanicus releases and the manufactorum kit (without a box or instructions?!).

Anyone have any opinions on whether it makes sense to make all of the Sector Mechanicus stuff match and be identical in terms of the walkway/gantry colors? I'm likely going to stick with my bare metal look and add color through the various large tanks and stuff. Just not quite sure.

More
23 May 2017 15:43 #248928 by Michael Barnes
I think it makes the most sense visually for it a to be the same...I think it would look goofy in different color schemes. Bring in different colors with the other pieces- containers, Servohaulers, scatter, etc. Like how my table has that light grey Goliath on it now and the silver/green pipes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
23 May 2017 16:08 #248932 by Vlad
I'd definitely keep a consistent style. I played some games where we put together terrain (done by different people) with vastly different styles and I found it annoying.
That's why I'm actually so interested in mixing DWF in - it is supposed to make the battlefield more colorful without breaking the immersion (will post pics once it is done).
Servohaulers are awesome, by the way, and combine really well with containers.

On a similar note... what I find while putting this, as Barnes says, "cadillac" terrain, on the table, is that my old pegasus buildings stick out like a sore thumb. So I still might need to buy more GW terrain. Either the incinerator or the forge...
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
24 May 2017 11:43 - 24 May 2017 13:06 #248999 by stormseeker75
Edited because I'm an idiot and posted the Skirmish stuff here.
Last edit: 24 May 2017 13:06 by stormseeker75.

More
26 May 2017 15:28 #249154 by stormseeker75
So I was just putting together a list for my Wyches so I can build them how I want and it dawned on me: This game is a lot like Magic. It's immersive! I have so many choices on how to outfit my team. I can put together a list, play with it, tweak it, try something new. I can see why people play these games for a lifetime. It's not really about the actual gameplay, it's about the lifestyle.

BOOM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
30 May 2017 20:31 #249265 by Vlad
I am starting to worry that Imperial Guard might be OP. I haven't lost a battle with these guys so far. I think a combination of a butt-naked sargeant, three plasma guys and the rest grunts with lasguns is pretty much unstoppable (I haven't faced tyranids nor the clowns harlequins yet). For the sake of variety/coolness, I'm running a grenade launcher and a sniper, but over 10+ games, the plasma dude has proven to be the most constantly reliable. Sniper is pretty much situational, and grenade launcher is just not good enough. But, man, the sheer stopping power of the lasgun dudes is staggering. I played against Tau yesterday, and 2/3 of their squad were just constantly pinned, while the plasma dude was methodically performing one coup de grace after another.
Side-note: my impression is that Tau is the weakest team, too. Or maybe the guy playing them wasn't sure about how to use them, while I've had quite a bit of experience with IG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
31 May 2017 08:23 #249278 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
I wish they had more grenade variety to spice up the Grenade Launcher. In Necromunda you could spook grenades and other options. Spook caused you to roll on a table as your model freaked out and lost it.

I assembled the Servo Haulers and Crane and the damn things are awesome.

More
31 May 2017 12:46 #249288 by Michael Barnes
Tau are definitely on the bottom tier. They just aren't very good, and I'm not entirely sure why. The WS2 is obvious- they completely collapse in CC if Supporting Fire fails, but they are intended to be gunline anyway. They have decent weapons, but I'd take a red dot over a markerlight seven days a week. The Ion/Rail Rifles seem like they would totally be comparable to plasma. I think part of the problem is that the list is just sort of shaky. The Recon Drone should be awesome...but with BS 2, even sustained fire 2 isn't that great. The cost of a Pathfinder and a Recruit is just a 10 point spread but they have the same stat line. They really should have been stone killers at range, but as it stands they are just kind of OK- and this is down to the numbers. They should have had BS 4 standard, and instead of supporting fire something better to keep them from getting engaged in melee- maybe an evasion thing or something where they have a shot at auto-fleeing. I've not played with their special operatives yet, but they may make a difference.

IG is really good, I think they are probably my favorite to play right now. I run the naked sarge too. I don't do three Plasma because...that is just mean. They still aren't Tier 1 (Harlies and Tyranids), but I think they could hit 2.

I actually thought about doing another IG group, Catachans. Just for fun.

More
31 May 2017 18:04 #249292 by Vlad
That Tau drone is kinda pathetic. The little thing shot at my dudes almost point blank 5 times and missed. It was like that scene in Pulp Fiction.

I'm keeping the sniper for sentimental reasons, but ditching the grenade launcher in favor of another plasma.

And I'm finishing the wyches whom I planning to use against the newbies. Because IG is too tough for newbies.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds