October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadow War: Armageddon

More
06 Jun 2017 08:06 #249480 by stormseeker75
I know there are some other resources out there for army building, but I stumbled upon this one today. The interface is great.

killteams.com/#/

So I've read the rules. I need to distill this giant book down to a quick reference guide so I can actually play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2017 23:44 #249643 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
There're about 4 page of rules summary at the end of the book, I generally was able to find there everything I needed.
Also, if you do your kill team in Batllescribe, you have an option of viewing all the stats for your members, including weapons and special rules. I find it super helpful.

I fought some Necrons this evening. Their ability to ambush (put one of their dudes within 8 inches of your model after the 2nd turn of the game) can be pretty devastating, but it's also a double edged sword. I played the strategy taught to me by my 6 year old - put them all in a mob and move towards the objective together. So, on the first ambush my sniper got wounded, but the plasma dude just annihilated the ambusher. The next necron to ambush was again cut down by laser and plasma, and that meant bottle check for my opponent. I am now running an IG detachment with two plasma dudes and I if I ever get really competitive I'll ditch the sniper in favor of a 3rd plasma (not anytime soon, because the sniper is just so cool and his name is Hauer).
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
09 Jun 2017 08:01 #249654 by stormseeker75
GOD. DAMN. IT. I spent like three hours working through the rules so I could make player aids. Turns out they're in the back of the damn book.

Thanks, Vlad! You saved me a lot more time!

More
09 Jun 2017 14:00 #249683 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, those Necron Deathmarks (Terminators) are fun. I like the "horror" aspect of them just kind of showing up deep behind the line. But they do tend to get shot up early and often, which means you still have to play the cover game with them. Necrons aren't that great, but they are fun to play- I love the Mindshackle Scarabs (I think that is my son's very favorite thing in the whole game), the Shadowlooms....good stuff.

I can't stress enough how USEFUL Battlescribe is for this...we set up armies and then run a Battlescribe print job and it has ALL of the unit AND faction rules right there on the page. You can also tweak it to show only what you want, summaries only, etc.

More
10 Jun 2017 12:26 - 10 Jun 2017 20:36 #249710 by Disgustipater
My friends roped me into playing Shadow War: Armageddon. I've never played 40K, and I've never had an interest in playing 40K. I did play WFB 6th Edition and a few games of Mordheim. I only really played last night because I wanted to see my friend's table in all its glory.

File Attachment:

We did a 4-player multiplayer game. I was using Chaos Space Marines versus Tyranids, Harlequins, and Imperial Guard.

I went first and split my squad in two and when separate directions. I just ran them. The IG player took a shot at my front cultist with a grenade launcher and downed all three guys of my guys on the gangway.

File Attachment:

My next turn, my CSM with plasma gun took a shot at the front IG soldier and vaporized him. Then the gun immediately ran out of ammo.

After another turn or two of missed shots, and a killed CSM, my cultist charged the IG leader. I failed miserably, fumbled, then the IG leader attacked back, also terribly. Missed with his pistol and only hit me in the toe with his knife. Two flesh wounds. Then on the IG turn my cultist was killed.

At this point I was left with 4 models and only my leader had a ranged weapon. He shot a tyranid and did one wound.

File Attachment:

At the start of my next turn, I bottled out. IG bottled out a few turns later, then the Harlequin player capitulated since he would not be able to survive against the 3 tyranids.

File Attachment:

It was fine, but nothing I will get into. I got out of miniatures games because I lost some sort of interest in them, and it hasn’t come back. It was pretty awesome to play on his table though.

Edit - I guess imgur doesn't allow actual direct links anymore. Sorry about that.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2017 20:36 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, celticgriffon, Vlad

More
10 Jun 2017 20:34 #249719 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
That's some table. Glad you got to check it out, it's a cool game.

More
16 Jun 2017 14:37 #250033 by Hadik
Replied by Hadik on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
https://goo.gl/photos/g687ptjRsqwVuZzs6

Getting onboard w SW:A. My Chaos team fell to the boy's "LeCrons". This might be the onramp to 40K we've been waiting for. He had $100 saved up for a Lego set but couldn't decide on one. Now he is eyeing his third box of 40K units.

The game was a little slow but left us wanting more. The younger one is prepping a team of Craftworld Eldar.

More
16 Jun 2017 16:59 #250044 by Michael Barnes
It does run pretty slow in the early outings...it speeds up dramatically once everyone gets a feel for the rules and comes to terms with the fact that pinning and keeping fighters down is really more important and common than killing them. It also speeds up if you are playing with the bottle check rules- you can have games go 20 minutes.

ONCE AGAIN, I stress that using the Battlescribe army builder and printing your squad out also speeds things up TREMENDOUSLY- you have all of your unit rules and stat lines in ONE place. No flipping through the book.

Lego terrain, FTW...that's fun stuff.

I've started in earnest on getting those Galvanic Servohaulers done. I've decided that ALL of my 40k terrain is going to be industrial-themed, and my AOS rocky plains stuff can flex as 40k. The SW terrain has worked well with 8th edition.

I have to say though...as much as I love SW, I do find myself kind of wishing they had held off and done a 40k skirmish game AFTER 8th...that said, it is kind of fun that it is still very old school 40k.

More
19 Jun 2017 12:57 #250138 by Vlad
Having read the rules for new 40K, I think I agree with you, Barnes. Also, ever since 8th ed. started demoing, I've been losing opponents for SW. Now, even the most stalwart SW players are busy building their armies for 40K.
On one hand, it is the cult of the new, of course. On the other, the new edition is easier than SW and very intuitive to anyone familiar with AoS (actually, it is easier to explain 8th edition by pointing out what is different from AoS). And you can play with more toys and mix and match them more than SW.

More
19 Jun 2017 13:23 #250140 by celticgriffon
Sorry - haven't read all of the threads here.

Does anyone know if someone has ported the original Necromunda Gangs over to this system? Or would they be a drop in without conversion? I know SW:A is mostly a port but i am sure there are some differences.

I am trying to figure out if I should buy it. I have sooo much Necromunda stuff and a boat load is still unpainted. And i have a bunch of 40k as well. But it was the gangs and awesome campaign structure that really drew me into Necromunda.

Cheers,
Michael

More
19 Jun 2017 13:52 #250145 by Michael Barnes
I think you can run Necromunda gangs with almost no change. The system IS Necromunda. I dont' think you'd really need to change the statlines or equipment for anything. Now, the big question I would have there is if the old gangs would be competitive/balanced with the 40k faction KTs...they almost certainly wouldn't be against Harlequins or Tyranids.

Vlad, I am kind of thinking that you could allllllmost convert the AOS Skirmish rules to 8th 40k. There are obviously a lot of units, wargear and vehicles that simply wouldn't work in a smaller scale setting. But I think most would. I think you could convert the changes in Skirmish over almost 1:1, including the alteration of bravery. The psychic stuff might be a little iffy, and it would probably have to be modified on a case-by-case basis depending on the units. The only thing you wouldn't have is the Renown points value...UNLESS...you work that out using the new Power Points system.

I do think that 8th is going to bury SWA, unfortunately...the thing is, they lowered the barrier to entry into "big 40k" so much that it almost invalidates SWA. With that said, I still think the campaign is great and I like the more complex rules for pinning, cover and so forth- things that work better with 5-10 men then they do for 50-100.

I'm going to experiment a little with playing 8th rules using the SWA KTs...
The following user(s) said Thank You: celticgriffon

More
19 Jun 2017 19:46 #250162 by Vlad
It seems to me that with the power levels in the new edition you can easily customize it for smaller miniature count. You can take out whatever minis you have and just duke it out. I really, really wish they had this option for AoS.
My only issue with the new 40K is that we still don't have a reliable datasheets source. Unless you buy all the indexes (which I won't)

More
21 Jun 2017 00:03 #250216 by celticgriffon
It seems the mods to allow Gangs to fight have already started... yaktribe.org/community

I decided to purchase the book although I could easily have improvised with W40K 2nd ed. I haven't played 40k in years. The ability to bring out some models which have been in boxes for a long time appeals.

More
21 Jun 2017 11:36 #250224 by Michael Barnes
Yep, because it is 2nd edition! It's funny, when I started playing SWA, I was like "Oh yeah, dudes used to fall down all the time".

Vlad- the thing about the power levels, which apparently causes some chagrin with "hardcore" players, is that they generalize point costs by unit type rather than loadout. So the power level of a tac squad loaded with grav guns costs the same as a squad with standard issue bolters. HOWEVER, AOS Skirmish basically does the same thing but puts those on a per model (instead of per squad) cost, with the only regulation being that if the scroll gives "one unit out of #" a special weapon, you have to still meet that tax in your warband composition. So I am thinking that you could allllllmost just take the power level cost and translate that to a per unit cost.

BTW, the power levels thing is GENIUS. It is perfect for casual players like me that do not give a flip about pointing every little thing out and then wondering why it's all not balanced.

More
22 Jun 2017 13:58 #250301 by celticgriffon
Has anyone purchased or tried this terrain?

www.warmill.co.uk

It looks like a great fit for Necro or Shadow War..

Cheers,
Michael

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds