Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TOPIC: Shadespire

Shadespire 13 Apr 2017 13:44 #246486

This is Games Workshop's attempt to break into the competitive miniature skirmish arena.

And because it's GW, this thread needs the following for those that need a safe place so you can show us on the dollie where GW touched you:

+++ TRIGGER WARNING! +++
:p
There has already been some discussion about it in various threads here, but if it becomes as big as it wants to be, it will need its own thread.

Gameplay was revealed at Adepticon, and showed the contents of the base game to contain Sigmarite Eternal Liberators and Khorne Bloodreavers. Three game matches are supposed to take 45 mins or less, so very fast resolution. It is a card and dice driven combat system with random objectives on a mutable hex grid board (get those heroescape tiles ready, guys! ). Apparently the card decks for each faction are customizable, so some strategy in deck building will be present prior to a game. Early remarks from those who played at Adepticon was positive.

GW has unveiled their first new faction for use in the game. Deathrattle Sepuchral Guard.

With this kind of a preview, it gives me hope that we will see at least a small amount of variety of factions at launch. Along with cautious optimism that they are designing all factions simultaneously. Such an idea is kinda huge, if true. It means less power creep and more balance (at least as balanced as anything can be considering the nature of asymmetric sides ) in the game so that it could be a seriously competitive game if one chose to take it to that degree.
  • Colorcrayons
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 664
Last Edit: 13 Apr 2017 13:49 by Colorcrayons.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sfunk37, stoic

Shadespire 13 Apr 2017 13:53 #246488

If they joined the Warhammer IP with the Command and Colors system, my wallet would be empty.

This does look kinda cool and I am a GW sucker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Shadespire 13 Apr 2017 14:56 #246497

Wait, I thought that's what this Shadow War Armageddon nonsense was supposed to be?
MWChapel wrote: Euro's are trying to bring gaming to the level of competitive sports. Competition based on skill outweighs the basic theme driven escapism. Sport over entertainment.

Jeb wrote: If...

Shadespire 13 Apr 2017 15:19 #246499

stormseeker75 wrote:
Wait, I thought that's what this Shadow War Armageddon nonsense was supposed to be?

Nope, Shadow War: Armageddon is a full blown miniatures game. Measuring, terrain, everything.
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1550

Shadespire 13 Apr 2017 17:53 #246510

GWscape.

This I could get into.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3050
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Shadespire 13 Apr 2017 18:10 #246511

Yeah, this game looks awesome. The new Death stuff (!!!) is the first new skeletons GW has done in like 15 years or something and they look bad ass.

It is definitely more of an X-Wing or Heroscape class miniatures game- but it is not prepainted.

Warhammer plus C&C is what FFG should have done with Battlelore instead of blowing it on Terrinoth or Game of Thrones. Both licenses were in house, WTF was the problem? Probably GW is at fault there because at the time it would have demolished WHFB but still.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 5530
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

Shadespire 13 Apr 2017 18:36 #246512

The bar for me, on this kind of game (not counting Heroscape, of course), is Dungeon Command. So far, this doesn't look better than Dungeon Command. Although it does have dice.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1362
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Shadespire 13 Apr 2017 22:35 #246529

I think those new skeletons look great.
  • metalface13
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 641
"Chance favors the prepared mind" – Louis Pasteur

Shadespire 14 Apr 2017 08:58 #246543

Colorcrayons wrote:
This is Games Workshop's attempt to break into the competitive miniature skirmish arena.

And because it's GW, this thread needs the following for those that need a safe place so you can show us on the dollie where GW touched you:

+++ TRIGGER WARNING! +++

I appreciate this courteous use of trigger warnings.

However, I'm not the one with the dollies.

• Legomancer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1773
Last Edit: 14 Apr 2017 09:00 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyTNT, Colorcrayons, birdman37

Shadespire 14 Apr 2017 09:28 #246547

Now all I'm thinking about is how to adapt WHFB to a C&C configuration. I should actually be working.

Shadespire 14 Apr 2017 10:34 #246555

Okay, this I can definitely be down with. I don't want a traditional miniatures game. I want hexes or squares. This is ideal for me.
MWChapel wrote: Euro's are trying to bring gaming to the level of competitive sports. Competition based on skill outweighs the basic theme driven escapism. Sport over entertainment.

Jeb wrote: If...

Shadespire 14 Apr 2017 15:10 #246577

hotseatgames wrote:
The bar for me, on this kind of game (not counting Heroscape, of course), is Dungeon Command. So far, this doesn't look better than Dungeon Command. Although it does have dice.

But..but... Hex spaces !!1!11!!eleventyone

Man, I really wish dungeon command went somewhere. Yet another half assed product. By that, I mean the support for the product and how it was marketed.

I have no idea how good shadespire is. I've watched a bunch of videos on it, but it doesn't quite hit me as the product that GW is hoping to achieve. The people that played it give it glowing reviews. But, they also didn't do any deck building, which will likely be the thing that makes or breaks it on the quality of the design.

It's kind of just a big bit of marketing crap by GW right now. "Look at the potential this game could have. It's gonna be big!"
Usually when such statements of grandeur are made, it really isn't grand. :/

I want this to be a bad ass game, but then again, I was just as hyped for dungeon command too...
  • Colorcrayons
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 664

Shadespire 18 Apr 2017 09:55 #246714

With this and FFG's Runwars Miniatures game, the two former lovers are going straight at each other's jugular.

No secret I'm in GW's bed, but trying to be objective I think Shadespire is going to end up being a more successful branch into a serial purchasing board game than Runewars will as a minis wargame.

Gamers seem to love being strung along on micro purchases. That market of people looking to get on treadmills seems to be larger than gamers looking to get into a big minis wargame. The camps are a little different. Minis gamers tend to only have a few main lines they can support. Board gamers, on the other hand, seem to be up for every and any thing. GW is tapping a larger vein with Shadwspire than FFG is with Runewars.

Now, I know these are two different types of games, so a little apples and oranges, but their success and strategy can be discussed because they are two giants looking to get into new markets.

All this said, I don't think this game is for me. I already have BB and DB for competitive hex/square based minis gaming. The only chance it had was if my son wanted in (loves stormcast) and he said he'd prefer to play AoS proper. We may look for that female fig as a single though.
  • Mr. White
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2185
Life & Death & An American Chainsaw
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Shadespire 18 Apr 2017 12:58 #246721

Oh, one other bit on these two...

I read that FFG included the Runewars base game as part of the Adepticon swag bag for the attendees that bought them. That's an expensive piece of swag...

It would be interesting to know how effective that strategy was. Will gamers decide to go in a little deeper already owning the base set, or does its inclusion as a 'free' gimme potentially lessen its value in some folk's eyes?

I understand AoS was all over Adepticon, so again, I'm curious if these free Runewars sets made an impact.
  • Mr. White
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2185
Life & Death & An American Chainsaw

Shadespire 18 Apr 2017 15:24 #246724

My guess is that move got a lot more people to pay attention to Runewars. You know who else gives the first one free? Drug dealers.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1362
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds