October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dune

More
25 Apr 2017 15:22 #247177 by Shellhead
Dune was created by Shellhead
Dune has come up in a couple of recent threads, so it deserves its own topic. Although I'm primarily interested in the classic board game from Avalon Hill, I just started re-reading the first book in the series. And I wouldn't mind comments about Rex or Dune variants or even the Parker Brothers board game. Has anybody ever played the Dune ccg? Will Dune ever get a proper translation on the big screen or small screen?

I love the dynamic gameplay of the AH Dune board game. Due to the spice blows and the rotating storm system, the board changes radically from turn to turn. Alliances come and go, but only at specific random intervals. Each faction is well-defined by special abilities, though those special abilities add to the learning curve of the game. The last time we played, I won on the second or third turn of the game, but I have seen other games go three hours or longer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2017 15:26 #247178 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Dune
Is AH Dune the last of the true Grail Games (having never been reprinted) or do people also still desire Magic Realm?

More
25 Apr 2017 15:32 #247179 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Dune

Mr. White wrote: Is AH Dune the last of the true Grail Games (having never been reprinted) or do people also still desire Magic Realm?

Fireball Island maybe.

More
25 Apr 2017 18:10 #247212 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Dune
Man, if you're set on re-reading Dune, I really recommend you getting the audiobook from audible. You will probably get it for free to with the subscription.
I listened to it about half a year ago, and it was brilliant. In most chapters, each character is voiced by a professional actor - Baron Harkonnen being the absolute highlight. It was also easier for me to get into Herbert's ideas and thoughts, since most of the book is narrated either through dialogue or monologue.

More
25 Apr 2017 18:46 #247215 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Dune
I wish I had that audiobook. I have an abridged version on cd read by Herbert himself. But while genuine, the guy has a effeminate voice reminiscent of Truman capote, and is very off putting.

More
25 Apr 2017 18:48 #247216 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Dune
The one by Marlee Matlin is AWFUL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
25 Apr 2017 18:51 #247217 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Dune
When I was younger, I was anxious to find out what would happen next, and tended to read a little too quickly. In recent years, I have forced myself to slow down and savor the words more. With more life experience, I get more out of the dialogue and the ideas. And so I found myself enjoying the first Dune book more than ever, at least the first three chapters. Herbert does a fine job of introducing an original setting without excessive exposition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
25 Apr 2017 19:50 #247227 by Vlad
The beginning is very accessible, imho. I think it gets harder with Paul's trippy inner monologue. I only realized there was nothing particular trippy about it and it actually made a lot of sense on my last read. But at least I did better than Jodorowsky :)

More
26 Apr 2017 16:38 #247294 by Black Barney

Black Barney wrote: The one by Marlee Matlin is AWFUL

Look, I hate to complain but I really don't think this joke is getting the traction it deserves. I'm glad Colorcrayons doesn't have a dull mind and appreciates this, but GUYS... use your imagination and try to imagine driving on the highway listening to Marlee Matlin reading Dune. I was lol'ing as I wrote the post thinking it was GOLD Jerry, gold.

Just thinking of her trying to talk about the Bene Gesserit and constantly rewinding the audio to try and understand what she just said.... life doesn't get better than this, folks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, Vlad

More
26 Apr 2017 17:22 #247303 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Dune
Prolly cause most people have no idea who that is. Slightly more on topic, I figured you showing up in this thread was to pimp the movie adventure game tie in. Laughed to myself when that wasn't the case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Apr 2017 17:31 - 26 Apr 2017 17:32 #247305 by Colorcrayons

Marlee Matlin reading 'Piter DeVries' wrote: "Iiiihh iiith buuhhh wwiiill uggghlunnn ithe theeeet muuuhh muuuhnd iiiggghhh mmmuuuuhthun"

I just can't finish writing that mentat litany as Marlee.

But Barney is right, it is fucking hilarious to think about her doing it.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 17:32 by Colorcrayons.

More
26 Apr 2017 17:34 #247307 by Vlad
My first contact with Dune was Cryo's graphic adventure/strategy hybrid.
I remember it really well. The way it deviated from the plot of the book (or the movie for that matter) is unbelievably atrocious. I was about 12 or 13 back then and thought it to be the pinnacle of video-game writing.

More
26 Apr 2017 17:39 #247308 by Colorcrayons

Black Barney wrote:

Black Barney wrote: The one by Marlee Matlin is AWFUL

Look, I hate to complain but I really don't think this joke is getting the traction it deserves. I'm glad Colorcrayons doesn't have a dull mind and appreciates this, but GUYS... use your imagination and try to imagine driving on the highway listening to Marlee Matlin reading Dune. I was lol'ing as I wrote the post thinking it was GOLD Jerry, gold.

Just thinking of her trying to talk about the Bene Gesserit and constantly rewinding the audio to try and understand what she just said.... life doesn't get better than this, folks.

Also, if you're not reading this in Richard Simmons voice, then you need to rethink your life.

More
27 Apr 2017 09:05 #247336 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Dune
It's hilarious because she's deaf and therefore talks funny! Ha ha ha! Deaf people, am I right?

More
27 Apr 2017 09:31 #247338 by Black Barney
it's more that it's absurd that Marlee Matlin would be doing audiobooks for heavy-duty sci-fi, especially. But ok.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds