October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk...Last Night on Earth

More
25 May 2017 12:11 #249085 by Matt Thrower
Zombies!!! would be a fine game if it wrapped in under half an hour. Once past that, I don't know of another title that outstays its welcome faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2017 14:03 #249097 by Dr. Mabuse
Never played it but was a HUGE fan of Dead of Night a print and play from about 10 years ago too. It wasn't super balanced but in terms of stuck in house fighting off zombies it was fantastic! I ended up selling or trading away my handbuilt copy (including box and workable insert). I miss it and would totally love to own it again.

bgg.cc/boardgame/27736/dead-night
my box cover: bgg.cc/image/203453/dead-night

More
25 May 2017 14:14 #249098 by Shellhead

MattDP wrote: Zombies!!! would be a fine game if it wrapped in under half an hour. Once past that, I don't know of another title that outstays its welcome faster.

Last October, I hit upon a winning house rule for Zombies!!! We had six players, so I had us divide into two teams. Both teams were playing in the same city and fighting or avoiding the same zombies, but Team 1 players took their turns independently of Team 2 players. So at any given time, somebody on Team 1 was taking a turn and so was somebody on Team 2. The first player to rack up 25 kills or reach the helicoptor would win the game for his whole team. This gave everybody a powerful incentive to play quickly. And the usual dithering about where to move the zombies was sped up when you knew that you wanted to screw over players on the other team. We also used the Six Feet Under expansion, which speeds up the game with sewer tunnels and subway stations that potentially allow players to bypass many zombies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
25 May 2017 14:33 - 25 May 2017 14:34 #249099 by hotseatgames
So is the consensus that the Mantic Walking Dead game is actually the best zombie game? I haven't played it. I also loathe the show.
Last edit: 25 May 2017 14:34 by hotseatgames.

More
25 May 2017 14:45 - 25 May 2017 14:47 #249100 by charlest
It definitely is Mark. I'm enjoying that game more and more. It plays fantastic with 1 or 2 players. You could probably do a bigger game with 3 players as well.

If you buy into it, you will 100% want the base game and the Days Gone Bye expansion. Other boosters and expansions are nice, but Days Gone Bye kind of completes the experience with narrative scenarios. Be aware that the scenarios in that expansion uses figures from the booster packs (they're not included in the expansion itself), but they do give you alternative point totals so you can just use whatever force you want.

There's also rules to build your own characters in Days Gone Bye, so you could theoretically create yourself and shove Pete into a Walker horde after chopping his arm off.

But yeah, All Out War is great. It'd push its way into my top 10 of the year if I redid my 2016 best of list right now. The tension and way it treats zombies is perfect.

Also, it's based on the comics not the show. So at least you don't have to stare at stills to remind you of what you hate.
Last edit: 25 May 2017 14:47 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, hotseatgames

More
26 May 2017 09:04 - 26 May 2017 09:05 #249125 by Pat II
Nothing like a good 'ole Last Night On Earth shitstorm. This game has been quiet for years but is still able to generate 3 plus pages of discussion and that says something. The simplicity of the game is it's strength. I have been able to introduce LNOE to more non gamers and couples than any other game. This is partly due to the emerging popularity of the Walking Dead to the masses several years ago. We played this with expansions quite a bit until maybe 2 to 3 years ago. I was able to pull it out a couple of months ago and it was still fun with beers. The latest implementation with expansion works better, Timber Peak if I remember correctly.

Zombies is fun too but you have to house rule a few things. I added a zombie table to roll for each revealed building that would indicate which type and quantity of zombie to populate. I used the regular zombies, the dogs, the clowns, and the 6 zombie types(each with custom stats) from the game "Humans" from TC. Throw the helicopter halfway through the stack instead of the bottom and it somewhat works. The fact you can toss it all in a small box and bring it easily to places really helps with this one.
Last edit: 26 May 2017 09:05 by Pat II.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
26 May 2017 09:07 #249127 by hotseatgames
I ordered the base game for Walking Dead All Out War, since I had some Amazon credit. I did have to laugh at how cheaply you can get some of the parts of this game, and how Mantic fleeced people with "exclusives" on Kickstarter. If I like it, I'll probably pick up Days Gone Bye.

More
26 May 2017 10:36 #249134 by charlest

hotseatgames wrote: I ordered the base game for Walking Dead All Out War, since I had some Amazon credit. I did have to laugh at how cheaply you can get some of the parts of this game, and how Mantic fleeced people with "exclusives" on Kickstarter. If I like it, I'll probably pick up Days Gone Bye.

I didn't back and don't have any of the KS exclusive stuff. Those just look like alternate sculpts for products that are coming out later (Negan for instance). I know there are retailer exclusive items as well that backers couldn't even get (Morgan for instance).

The base game is pretty good. You get enough miniatures for a 1v1 skirmish or you can go it solo. The only weak point is a lack of scenarios. Besides a couple of learning scenarios, it has one baseline scenario which is going around collecting gear. The way the game plays out does mean you can get a strong amount of mileage out of that single scenario (replaying it with different combos or just trying different strategies).

It's also very flexible so you could easily just give yourself objectives like get across the map and disable the car alarm, then run all the way back.

More
27 May 2017 09:52 #249170 by Mantidman
I have enjoyed LNoE quite a bit. I have not played in years, but that is more due to a change in location
(Kansas City area to southeastern Iowa). It has been one of the few games that caused me to write up
a Session report on BBG. It struck a chord with me and lead to me trading all my Zombies!!! stuff away.
I edited and culled the decks of the various cards and would like to get it to the table more often.
Regarding Zombicide, my nephews (aged around 10) really enjoy it and request it at our holiday family events.

More
28 May 2017 20:50 - 28 May 2017 20:54 #249192 by Secret Satan
Last edit: 28 May 2017 20:54 by Secret Satan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, engineer Al

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds