Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TOPIC: Geek Chic

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 08:55 #249785

Looks like the party might be over - hope nobody here has an outstanding order:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1795447/status-geek-chic
  • Msample
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 559
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 09:26 #249787

Very strange that a company devoted to making extremely expensive tables for board gaming has gone out of business.
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1720

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 11:33 #249793

Hmm...I may have to rethink my plans for eelskin card sleeves and 14k gold dice towers.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 5461
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, stormseeker75

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 11:50 #249794

If they file bankruptcy, the court documents will no doubt make for some entertaining reading.
  • Msample
  • D8
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 13:14 #249800

I will say that while cheaper competitors have flooded the market, most of those competitors have obviously cheaper tables upon even cursory examination. Did that make Geekchic worth 5-10k? I leave that to you but there was a difference. And if you've furniture shopped for anything that isn't plywood the prices are madness to someone who has not.

Glad I didn't put down any money, that's for sure!
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2299
Last Edit: 13 Jun 2017 13:16 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 13:32 #249801

Spending that kind of money on a gaming table goes against everything I believe in.

If I am spending $5k-$10k on furniture, I'm going to be looking at vintage mid century pieces or current designers. Not something with fucking dice drawers and snack holders.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 5461
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 13:37 #249802

Gary Sax wrote:
I will say that while cheaper competitors have flooded the market, most of those competitors have obviously cheaper tables upon even cursory examination. Did that make Geekchic worth 5-10k? I leave that to you but there was a difference. And if you've furniture shopped for anything that isn't plywood the prices are madness to someone who has not.

Glad I didn't put down any money, that's for sure!

I had some nice hardwood book cases made for my house. For something relatively simple I was surprised how expensive it got.

I'd think armed with some decent pictures and/or diagrams, a decent craftsman will replicate what Geek Chic did. From what a few have posted on BGG, I don't know that the price will be substantially less. Cheaper, but not dramatically so ( unless you significantly reduce the wood quality ) . And who knows, maybe that was their problem. As expensive as they were, they might not have been charging enough. I'd be interested to see their expenses. Owning their own transportation, attending all those conventions - they spent a ton in those areas that your local carpenter doesn't have running up overhead costs. Back when they were on Shark Tank they said they were running in the red at the time.
  • Msample
  • D8

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 14:13 #249807

Gary Sax wrote:

Hm. Not in my recent experience. Most major furniture retailers are overstocked, which means they're basically begging you to take stuff off their hands. I could get an entire living room set, including a gathering table like the one I have now (4x6 plus a leaf (can fit Arkham Horror with all expansion boards on it)) for less than that. Those things are at least partially mass-produced/machined, which wasn't what was happening at Chic, and on a much larger scale, which means that costs will be lower. Even so, if less costly competitors were entering the market, it's pretty clear that they'd developed a niche market which is always a perilous situation, since it's one rung higher on the ladder of luxury goods.

Like Barnes, I would never spend money on something like that. If I wanted something that specialized, I'd just build it. A friend of mine built a hexagonal table specifically for full games of TI3. Couple hundred bucks in wood and a few evenings with a table saw and a power sander. But, whatever floats your boat...
  • Jackwraith
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 785

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 16:03 #249813

You can easily make a Geek Chic quality table for 2,000$ and that includes the tools you get to keep. Shit, if you want a nice Acacia table you could do it for 1600$
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2983
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 16:10 #249814

Not surprisingly Cocktavian has now locked the thread.
  • Msample
  • D8
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 18:31 #249822

Michael Barnes wrote:
I'm going to be looking at vintage mid century pieces or current designers.

www.theonion.com/article/jet-age-fixer-upper-31094
  • cranberries
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 925
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 18:49 #249823

White elephant.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2366

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 19:45 #249827

After watching the Ticket to Ride playthrough on Tabletop and seeing Whil's wife thwap the Geek Chic table in a moment of enthusiasm followed by horror as all of the trains went bouncing all over the place... I didn't put much stock in their quality beyond presentation and the veneer of luxury. No "luxury" table should do that.
  • Frohike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 383
Last Edit: 13 Jun 2017 19:46 by Frohike.

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 19:52 #249828

SuperflyTNT wrote:
You can easily make a Geek Chic quality table for 2,000$ and that includes the tools you get to keep. Shit, if you want a nice Acacia table you could do it for 1600$

Does that include the two dozen tables I fuck up at various stages, due to having no woodworking skills?
  • dysjunct
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 398
The following user(s) said Thank You: celticgriffon

Geek Chic 13 Jun 2017 20:13 #249829

I have a really bizarre Geek Chic story from Gencon last year that I don't want to post in public, but will be more than willing to share over a frosty beverage. Just remind me if we ever meet up.
  • engelstein
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 423
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.617 seconds