October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Geek Chic

More
13 Jun 2017 08:55 #249785 by Msample
Geek Chic was created by Msample
Looks like the party might be over - hope nobody here has an outstanding order:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1795447/status-geek-chic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2017 09:26 #249787 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Geek Chic
Very strange that a company devoted to making extremely expensive tables for board gaming has gone out of business.

More
13 Jun 2017 11:33 #249793 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Geek Chic
Hmm...I may have to rethink my plans for eelskin card sleeves and 14k gold dice towers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, stormseeker75

More
13 Jun 2017 11:50 #249794 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Geek Chic
If they file bankruptcy, the court documents will no doubt make for some entertaining reading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Jun 2017 13:14 - 13 Jun 2017 13:16 #249800 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Geek Chic
I will say that while cheaper competitors have flooded the market, most of those competitors have obviously cheaper tables upon even cursory examination. Did that make Geekchic worth 5-10k? I leave that to you but there was a difference. And if you've furniture shopped for anything that isn't plywood the prices are madness to someone who has not.

Glad I didn't put down any money, that's for sure!
Last edit: 13 Jun 2017 13:16 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
13 Jun 2017 13:32 #249801 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Geek Chic
Spending that kind of money on a gaming table goes against everything I believe in.

If I am spending $5k-$10k on furniture, I'm going to be looking at vintage mid century pieces or current designers. Not something with fucking dice drawers and snack holders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
13 Jun 2017 13:37 #249802 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: I will say that while cheaper competitors have flooded the market, most of those competitors have obviously cheaper tables upon even cursory examination. Did that make Geekchic worth 5-10k? I leave that to you but there was a difference. And if you've furniture shopped for anything that isn't plywood the prices are madness to someone who has not.

Glad I didn't put down any money, that's for sure!

I had some nice hardwood book cases made for my house. For something relatively simple I was surprised how expensive it got.

I'd think armed with some decent pictures and/or diagrams, a decent craftsman will replicate what Geek Chic did. From what a few have posted on BGG, I don't know that the price will be substantially less. Cheaper, but not dramatically so ( unless you significantly reduce the wood quality ) . And who knows, maybe that was their problem. As expensive as they were, they might not have been charging enough. I'd be interested to see their expenses. Owning their own transportation, attending all those conventions - they spent a ton in those areas that your local carpenter doesn't have running up overhead costs. Back when they were on Shark Tank they said they were running in the red at the time.

More
13 Jun 2017 14:13 #249807 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Geek Chic

Gary Sax wrote: I will say that while cheaper competitors have flooded the market, most of those competitors have obviously cheaper tables upon even cursory examination. Did that make Geekchic worth 5-10k? I leave that to you but there was a difference. And if you've furniture shopped for anything that isn't plywood the prices are madness to someone who has not.

Hm. Not in my recent experience. Most major furniture retailers are overstocked, which means they're basically begging you to take stuff off their hands. I could get an entire living room set, including a gathering table like the one I have now (4x6 plus a leaf (can fit Arkham Horror with all expansion boards on it)) for less than that. Those things are at least partially mass-produced/machined, which wasn't what was happening at Chic, and on a much larger scale, which means that costs will be lower. Even so, if less costly competitors were entering the market, it's pretty clear that they'd developed a niche market which is always a perilous situation, since it's one rung higher on the ladder of luxury goods.

Like Barnes, I would never spend money on something like that. If I wanted something that specialized, I'd just build it. A friend of mine built a hexagonal table specifically for full games of TI3. Couple hundred bucks in wood and a few evenings with a table saw and a power sander. But, whatever floats your boat...

More
13 Jun 2017 16:03 #249813 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Geek Chic
You can easily make a Geek Chic quality table for 2,000$ and that includes the tools you get to keep. Shit, if you want a nice Acacia table you could do it for 1600$

More
13 Jun 2017 16:10 #249814 by Msample
Not surprisingly Cocktavian has now locked the thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Jun 2017 18:31 #249822 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Geek Chic

Michael Barnes wrote: I'm going to be looking at vintage mid century pieces or current designers.

www.theonion.com/article/jet-age-fixer-upper-31094
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
13 Jun 2017 18:49 #249823 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Geek Chic
White elephant.

More
13 Jun 2017 19:45 - 13 Jun 2017 19:46 #249827 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Geek Chic
After watching the Ticket to Ride playthrough on Tabletop and seeing Whil's wife thwap the Geek Chic table in a moment of enthusiasm followed by horror as all of the trains went bouncing all over the place... I didn't put much stock in their quality beyond presentation and the veneer of luxury. No "luxury" table should do that.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2017 19:46 by Frohike.

More
13 Jun 2017 19:52 #249828 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Geek Chic

SuperflyTNT wrote: You can easily make a Geek Chic quality table for 2,000$ and that includes the tools you get to keep. Shit, if you want a nice Acacia table you could do it for 1600$

Does that include the two dozen tables I fuck up at various stages, due to having no woodworking skills?
The following user(s) said Thank You: celticgriffon

More
13 Jun 2017 20:13 #249829 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic Geek Chic
I have a really bizarre Geek Chic story from Gencon last year that I don't want to post in public, but will be more than willing to share over a frosty beverage. Just remind me if we ever meet up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds