October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Geek Chic

More
13 Jun 2017 20:22 #249830 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Geek Chic
The stories coming out of that thread on its death make it sound like some real shenanigans were going on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2017 20:28 - 13 Jun 2017 20:28 #249831 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Geek Chic
This is why these guys failed right here -->

Warning: Spoiler!

You heard it here first.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2017 20:28 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Legomancer, Jackwraith

More
14 Jun 2017 03:52 #249841 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic Geek Chic

Michael Barnes wrote: Spending that kind of money on a gaming table goes against everything I believe in.

If I am spending $5k-$10k on furniture, I'm going to be looking at vintage mid century pieces or current designers. Not something with fucking dice drawers and snack holders.

I'm with you on that, I mean, a nice table is a nice thing, hand crafted in your local area. Play games on that. Nobody needs dice drawers and fucking snack holders. Its the same bullshit as people who spend actual money on "storage solutions" in games and other tosh thats nothing to do with playing games, just obsessing over them as trinkets.

More
14 Jun 2017 09:30 #249845 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Geek Chic
i would have loved to have played on one of these expensive tables just to see if the owner is really sensitive about it (like Annette Benning in American Beauty with the italian silk couch). We'd be playing some game and people would get rowdy and start slamming their beverages on the table in excitement and the owner be all, "guise! GUISE! It's GEEK CHIC!!!" it seems like moments like that would make the cost well worth it.

More
14 Jun 2017 09:35 #249847 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Geek Chic
Funnily enough, one of my big geek goals is to build an O-shaped table to house my monitors, my collection of games and be able to run my trains on top.

More
14 Jun 2017 10:01 #249849 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Geek Chic
I have a plastic fold up table we got from Target. It holds games just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
14 Jun 2017 10:42 #249852 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Geek Chic

Legomancer wrote: I have a plastic fold up table we got from Target. It holds games just fine.

Same here. I could use a second one for big table hog games like Talisman or Argent.

More
14 Jun 2017 13:15 #249866 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Geek Chic
As someone who wargames, the recessed table bit is attractive to me. The other bits of these game table things aren't a big draw. But if you're busting out a long game to solo or play with an opponent there is a lot to like (IMHO) if you can put the normal table topper back on and continue later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, stormseeker75

More
14 Jun 2017 13:38 #249869 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Geek Chic
Yeah I had no use for the mega tables with drink holders, DM screen backers, etc. But a simple well made table with a shallow recessed area that could be covered. That I could totally envision being a nice thing to have. It would also be an easier sell to a spouse rather than a one off much more expensive thing you can't also serve Thanksgiving dinner on.

More
14 Jun 2017 14:13 - 14 Jun 2017 14:13 #249870 by Jauron
Replied by Jauron on topic Geek Chic
I feel bad for anyone in limbo over their table (that paid) but I could never imagine paying that much for a table.

In fairness I also couldn't imagine myself paying as much as I did for 2 new couches after my move last fall, so maybe I don't know what things cost.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2017 14:13 by Jauron.

More
14 Jun 2017 16:04 #249879 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Geek Chic
I retrofitted a coffee table with a game recess a few years ago. I loved having it the few weeks I did, a visitor offered me alot more for it than I had in it. The issue is I play alot of games with figures, so the table either has to be deep (3-4 inches) or you have to lay minis down ever time you want to put the top on. For a kitchen table that would be fine, but for a coffee table it starts to look like a pregnant cow.

More
14 Jun 2017 16:26 #249881 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Geek Chic
I recently ran into an old friend at a birthday party. He was bragging up how he has been turning his basement into the ultimate gaming space. One particular improvement was his new custom gaming table. It includes a large flat screen tv installed horizontally into the center of the table. He hooks up his laptop to the tv and displays a scan of a miniature scale map for whatever section of a dungeon they are in. He told me how much he paid the carpenter to make this table, but my mind rejected the number. It wasn't fantastically expensive, and certainly cheaper than one of the Geek Chic tables, but it was still way more than I would willingly spend at this point in my life.

More
14 Jun 2017 17:03 - 14 Jun 2017 17:05 #249886 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Geek Chic
It seems to me you gotta decide why you pursue the hobbies you do. If it's about looking the part then hell yeah, this is about as all-in as you're ever going to get in board gaming. But jeeze, I think my lifetime gaming budget is under $8,000, and that's the price of one of these slabs without chairs sitting around it (which were $300 apiece by the way, as absurd as the table but labeled "8 hour chairs" so they need to cost double that of "4 hour chairs".)

I live in a 2500 sq foot house. One of these gothic altars would look ridiculous in it. Even if it was about looking the part for me I'd look stupid with it sitting in my living room. I wouldn't buy it for $250 just because of what it is, not what it cost.

Sell me simple, clean lines, with a big surface and plenty of open space under it so I can stretch my legs out in all directions.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2017 17:05 by Sagrilarus.

More
14 Jun 2017 17:19 #249888 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Geek Chic
When I bought my house several years ago, I immediately got my gaming table: a Bjursta from Ikea for $199 USD. With two insertable extensions, it seats 8 and is just big enough for Arkham Horror for 8 with all the expansions. It turns out that is also big enough for any other game I own except for Zombies!!! with multiple expansions. Sometimes it would be nice if it was a few inches wider, but 37.5" is usually fine.

More
14 Jun 2017 17:31 #249890 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Geek Chic

Erik Twice wrote: Funnily enough, one of my big geek goals is to build an O-shaped table to house my monitors, my collection of games and be able to run my trains on top.

You're gonna show people your O-place? Oh... oh... oh...

On the recess in the table: I could definitely see something like that being useful. I've had between two and five cats over the past 30 years (just two now) and have often wanted to leave a long game like Siege of Jerusalem set up, but knew that it would be pointless since any place you don't want them is the first place they'll go. I could have just gotten a sheet of plexiglass for old Avalon Hill, but certainly being able to encase them or for things like block wargames would be cool. Still not worth $5K.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds