October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Geek Chic

More
14 Jun 2017 18:20 #249893 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Geek Chic

Jackwraith wrote:

Erik Twice wrote: Funnily enough, one of my big geek goals is to build an O-shaped table to house my monitors, my collection of games and be able to run my trains on top.

You're gonna show people your O-place? Oh... oh... oh...

On the recess in the table: I could definitely see something like that being useful. I've had between two and five cats over the past 30 years (just two now) and have often wanted to leave a long game like Siege of Jerusalem set up, but knew that it would be pointless since any place you don't want them is the first place they'll go. I could have just gotten a sheet of plexiglass for old Avalon Hill, but certainly being able to encase them or for things like block wargames would be cool. Still not worth $5K.

My gaming table is in the basement, where it always five to ten degrees cooler than the rest of the house. After the first year after the move, my cat completely lost interest in the basement, so I am free to leave a game out for weeks without trouble. The only time he comes down there is to remind me to feed him at dinner time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2017 20:09 #249902 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Geek Chic
You're lucky. My cats love the basement, so that's a non-starter for me.

More
15 Jun 2017 00:38 #249913 by ratpfink
Replied by ratpfink on topic Geek Chic
My wife and I decided to get 2 of the kickstarter gaming tables from boardgametables.com. Like all Kickstarter bullshit, who knows when they'll actually get here. I think we paid a year ago.

The recessed surface with topper will allow us to play multi session wargames and not have the game destroyed by a cat. So game night will probably see lots of multiplayer favorites like Fire in the Lake, Successors and Here I Stand that wouldn't normally be able to be finished in 3-4 hours. Then I'm hoping the two of us can finally dig into Paths of Glory now, maybe 1 turn an evening or so. So I totally see the appeal for that. But just for regular boardgames which is what I see being played a lot? Seems excessive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Jun 2017 08:29 #249929 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Geek Chic

Erik Twice wrote: Funnily enough, one of my big geek goals is to build an O-shaped table to house my monitors, my collection of games and be able to run my trains on top.

What size trains you run bud? My Dad was a huge toy train guy, mostly O and Standard.

More
15 Jun 2017 10:01 #249936 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Geek Chic

ratpfink wrote: My wife and I decided to get 2 of the kickstarter gaming tables from boardgametables.com. Like all Kickstarter bullshit, who knows when they'll actually get here. I think we paid a year ago.

The recessed surface with topper will allow us to play multi session wargames and not have the game destroyed by a cat. So game night will probably see lots of multiplayer favorites like Fire in the Lake, Successors and Here I Stand that wouldn't normally be able to be finished in 3-4 hours. Then I'm hoping the two of us can finally dig into Paths of Glory now, maybe 1 turn an evening or so. So I totally see the appeal for that. But just for regular boardgames which is what I see being played a lot? Seems excessive.

A friend of mine was part of the first wave of deliveries - got his about a month ago and has been very happy with it.

More
15 Jun 2017 10:22 #249939 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Geek Chic

Sagrilarus wrote:

What size trains you run bud? My Dad was a huge toy train guy, mostly O and Standard.

What gauge is standard? HO or G?

More
15 Jun 2017 12:08 #249960 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Geek Chic

fastbilly1 wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

"Standard" is its own gauge. It's big -- the rails are about three inches across. This is toy trains, not model trains. The stuff that came out in the 20s.

More
15 Jun 2017 12:20 - 15 Jun 2017 12:21 #249961 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Geek Chic

Sagrilarus wrote: What size trains you run bud? My Dad was a huge toy train guy, mostly O and Standard.

My trains are N-scale. I got started in the scale when I was a kid and I think I was lucky because it's the right size for me. Tons of variety, cheap prices and small enough to have a small layout in just a couple square meters. I would love to have some live-steam O or S stuff, but their size makes them impractical.

Right now I don't have a layout, though. I want to try to build the base for a small layout again next week but in the meanwhile my trains are all sitting still. My plan is to try something small while I live with my parents and then build something bigger when I move on my own.

Or IF I move on my own. Dammed economy.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2017 12:21 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
15 Jun 2017 17:54 #249989 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Geek Chic

Sagrilarus wrote:

fastbilly1 wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

"Standard" is its own gauge. It's big -- the rails are about three inches across. This is toy trains, not model trains. The stuff that came out in the 20s.

Good to know, I was unaware of it. Thanks Sag.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds