October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Cool Dice

More
21 Jul 2017 14:36 #251490 by Da Bid Dabid
Cool Dice was created by Da Bid Dabid
I really like dice, especially custom stuff. On another thread someone mentioned that having a die with the symbol of Hastur doesn't do anything for the game, but I think the point is that its a cool die with the symbol of Hastur on it!

Right now my favorite set is this one:

I've been looking for a cool set of D6s, but can't find anything that particularly stands out so the search continues...

Perhaps others have some cool dice or favorites they would share?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2017 14:53 #251491 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Cool Dice

you idiots are going to love these:

the future of dice is now...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Jackwraith

More
21 Jul 2017 15:00 #251492 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Cool Dice

Da Bid Dabid wrote: On another thread someone mentioned that having a die with the symbol of Hastur doesn't do anything for the game, but I think the point is that its a cool die with the symbol of Hastur on it!

I never said I wouldn't use them, my point is that they'd be among the last things I'd buy for CW if I was just getting into the game. YMMV. ;)

I don't think they qualify as "cool", but I really like my double six dice. They're 12 sided dice with 1-6 on them twice and they're also balanced across opposite faces, with the end result being that they're (supposedly) more fair than traditional d6's. I love using them while also acknowledging that they're a ridiculous vanity item. They also make d4's that you can see in the pic below; they're the gold and light blue dice on the left:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid, Frohike

More
21 Jul 2017 15:02 #251493 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Cool Dice
I have the 8 sided D4s since I hate D4 dice but love D8s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
21 Jul 2017 15:26 #251494 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Cool Dice
do those doublex2 dice smooth variance at all or is it the exact same?

More
21 Jul 2017 15:35 #251497 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Cool Dice

I have probably the STUPIDEST die ever. It is a clear plastic D6. Inside of it is a tiny red D6. So one roll is like rolling 2D6. I bring it out every now and then and we laugh about it.

I have a 30 sided die, that's pretty odd. It's really ugly.

I also have a dodecahedral die around here somewhere. From back when those were a Big Deal.

More
24 Jul 2017 00:32 #251557 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Cool Dice
I've got a D100 I traded a set of dice for back in High School...think of rolling a golf ball and you'll get the idea. I actually has some BBs or something inside to keep it from rolling forever.

More
24 Jul 2017 00:34 #251558 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Cool Dice

Michael Barnes wrote: I have probably the STUPIDEST die ever. It is a clear plastic D6. Inside of it is a tiny red D6. So one roll is like rolling 2D6. I bring it out every now and then and we laugh about it.

I've seen this type of die, and yes, it's quite stupid. Regarding your picture, I used to play D&D with a guy that continued to use the old red-box dice with no color in the numbers, and we pretty much just had to take his word on whatever he rolled because no one could read it unless you were right on top of it...pretty sure he cheated form time to time.

More
24 Jul 2017 00:39 #251559 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Cool Dice

Michael Barnes wrote:

I have probably the STUPIDEST die ever. It is a clear plastic D6. Inside of it is a tiny red D6. So one roll is like rolling 2D6. I bring it out every now and then and we laugh about it.

I have a 30 sided die, that's pretty odd. It's really ugly.

I also have a dodecahedral die around here somewhere. From back when those were a Big Deal.

That plastic.die is actually a good idea, just poorly implemented. There are a lot of games that a 2 d6 is good for and having to carry a single die would be nice if possible. Not that carrying an entire other die is strenuous.

I have a couple, but they work like crap.

My favorite dice are the mess of crystal caste dice. They have odd shapes for the typical die. Like the d6 are more d12 shaped, just elongated.

My second fave are nothing special. They are just the 10 or 12 mm black Rackham dice with the dragon for the 6. I miss Rackham and they roll pleasantly enmasse.

More
25 Jul 2017 04:23 #251612 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Cool Dice
I have a weakness for custom dice.

Really tempted by those Space Rollers, but they're not cheap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Jul 2017 10:25 - 25 Jul 2017 10:28 #251628 by Dr. Lao
Replied by Dr. Lao on topic Cool Dice

cdennett wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I have probably the STUPIDEST die ever. It is a clear plastic D6. Inside of it is a tiny red D6. So one roll is like rolling 2D6. I bring it out every now and then and we laugh about it.

I've seen this type of die, and yes, it's quite stupid.

I was in the local game shop with my little guy. He loves dice so I let him poke around the loose bin when we're in there, he pulled something similar out and fell in love. It's just a clear box with a red and white tiny d6 inside, same concept but two dice that are impossible to read. I go to check out and I ask how much that dice was and he's all "Nah, no worries. Our gift to him." Now, all is keeps asking is how to open up the clear box to get the two tiny dice out.

Some of my favorite dice are these d6's I have that are shaped like footballs I use for Blood Bowl.

EDIT: Oh, and not a d6 in the traditional sense, but I do have the R2D2 d6 generator from Star Wars Trivial Pursuit.

Last edit: 25 Jul 2017 10:28 by Dr. Lao.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
25 Jul 2017 10:52 #251634 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Cool Dice

Black Barney wrote: do those doublex2 dice smooth variance at all or is it the exact same?

If you roll them enough times, and if the faces are all uniform (some of mine have obviously lopsided faces from uneven wear in the ball mill), the variance will be smoother than a traditional, unbalanced d6.

They move better - no more of the d6 just flopping on the table without any rolling - which is really all I care about, especially since I use them in Shadows of Brimstone where there are roughly 200 dice rolls per session. Plus, these dice make me feel marginally better when all I need is to roll a 3+ on my Willpower save and OH MY GOD, THAT'S FOUR FUCKING TIMES IN A ROW! DOES THIS FUCKING THING EVEN HAVE ANY NUMBERS HIGHER THAN TWO ON IT?!?!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds