October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Raxxon

More
31 Jul 2017 09:50 - 31 Jul 2017 09:52 #251862 by charlest
Raxxon was created by charlest
Surprised this has not been mentioned one time here, at least in anger. I absolutely believe this community would mostly hate this game.

If you haven't heard of it, it's because you're old and not on social media. The game is not available for purchase from retailers. 50 copies were sent out from Plaid Hat and along with each copy you receive 3 invite codes (this is all handled via special website). When you invite someone you can either buy their copy for them, or send them an invite and they can buy their own. Then they get 3 invites and so on. It's viral marketing targeted at selling a $40 MSRP board game (free shipping to U.S.).

I've played it pretty heavily the past two weeks, mostly solo which works fine. I posted my review this morning and have finalized my thoughts.

The game is mediocre. It's not bad, but it's not great. You're basically trying to manipulate face down cards that form a crowd to segregate the infected from the innocent. There's an interesting action system and you do get some nice thematic integration as it does feel as though you're fighting with a group of unruly panicked citizens trying to discern who is infected and who isn't. But the game grows stale pretty quickly.

There's a cool Raxxon card mechanism which is basically Crossroads cards from Dead of Winter but you draw them yourself and see if they meet the conditions. That's the only infusion of story.

The private website is interesting in that it has scenarios which do change up the game somewhat. Unfortunately the core structure's the same and each scenario likewise gets bland after a couple of attempts.

To me, Raxxon is all about the marketing and that nifty website. That IS the game. If this ever becomes available at retail what little magic there is will be gone. As an experiment, it's pretty crazy and somewhat easy to get sucked into. It really reminds me of Kickstarter in that the marketing is more important than the game itself.

I'd rate the game a 6, but the experience of tracking it down and researching it a 7 or 7.5.

I'd offer my invite codes but they're buried in a secret link in my review, sorry.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2017 09:52 by charlest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2017 10:45 #251865 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Raxxon

charlest wrote: I'd offer my invite codes but they're buried in a secret link in my review, sorry.

Eh, wha?

More
31 Jul 2017 11:00 - 31 Jul 2017 11:09 #251866 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Raxxon
I'm not being facetious. I wrote a kind of experimental meta review as a commentary on the marketing itself. In addition to the invites, there's a few other things hidden. Including the review (although it's easy to find).

dinganddentcast.com/archives/the-raxxon-papers
Last edit: 31 Jul 2017 11:09 by charlest.

More
31 Jul 2017 11:21 #251869 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Raxxon
This all just sounds like the End Times to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
31 Jul 2017 11:31 #251871 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Raxxon

Michael Barnes wrote: This all just sounds like the End Times to me.

You don't want to beg someone for an invite just to be able to buy a board game?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
31 Jul 2017 11:53 #251874 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Raxxon
This seems like a lot of work for very little payoff. For both the publisher and the consumers.

More
31 Jul 2017 13:09 #251877 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Raxxon
It's a neat experiment, but I'm absolutely not going to jump through artificial viral marketing hoops to be able to purchase a board game.

More
31 Jul 2017 14:20 #251893 by Michael Barnes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller, Black Barney, san il defanso, Ancient_of_MuMu, Frohike, cdennett, Gregarius

More
31 Jul 2017 16:52 #251910 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Raxxon
Someone on BGG gave me an email code even though I had no idea what they were talking about. I checked into the website and saw a game that looked pretty bland and boring. I'm glad to hear some of my instincts are still sharp.

More
31 Jul 2017 17:21 #251912 by Michael Barnes
Seriously, who the fuck needs shit like this. There are already tons and tons of games coming out all the time, there's already tons and tons of great games everyone already owns...why in the living fuck would I get involved in some kind of viral bullshit to get an "invitation" to buy a shit-ass little cheese dick card game? "Set in the Dead of Winter universe"...please, like that "universe" has any significance. The more I've thought about it today, the more angry this has made me. Such an utter waste of time, talent and resources. Nothing truly great or worthwhile will ever be marketed in such an asinine way.

More
31 Jul 2017 17:54 #251913 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Raxxon
I had no idea this existed, because I'm not boardgame cool.

I'm going to continue believing it doesn't exist, and not worry myself about it. Hype experiment. Don't care.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
01 Aug 2017 00:39 #251919 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Raxxon
Cloverfield, this is not.

Nothing to see here, you lot. Move along.

More
01 Aug 2017 08:23 #251925 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Raxxon
But...but... we don't even know what's in the box! It could be anything! It could even be a board game! You know how much we wanted one of those!

More
01 Aug 2017 08:47 #251927 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Raxxon
If this stuff is fun for folks then sure, whatever creams their twinkie. It just seems to me that this kind of effort for a so-so game means that if this is remembered at all it'll be "remember that game with the weird ass viral campaign? what was that?" It's a lot of work for that small of a payoff.

More
01 Aug 2017 09:28 #251929 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Raxxon
It's Tanga all over again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds