October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Jeb Lund reads Ready Player One

More
08 Aug 2017 20:31 #252264 by Gary Sax
...and here's what he thinks:

theconcourse.deadspin.com/ready-player-o...algia-1797497066/amp

This is so, achingly, good. I love Lund's writing anyway but I think this perfectly encapsulates the bad part of current nerd/geek culture in general, not just re: the book. I'm open to the criticism "don't take this so fucking seriously, people just like stuff!" but to the extent nerd subculture sucks I think it's bang on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2017 21:16 - 08 Aug 2017 21:18 #252266 by Michael Barnes
I bet Legomancer LOVES this book LOL.

What a stupid fucking concept. And I LIKE nostalgia. I like almost everything referenced. But it sounds to me that this book is the epitome of modern nerd culture- "look at what all I consume". And then it is regurgitated in "mash up" form, juxtaposition serving in lieu of actual creativity or taking inspiration from creators that came before you. It sounds to me like this book is a big apologia for a life spent consuming media, trying to somehow find validation in indulgence.

And it's screamingly juvenile and amateurish- "LOOK AT ALL THE THINGS I LIKE! DO U LIKE THEM TOO?"

When I saw the trailer, I was shocked that Iron Giant was in it. But then it made me sad to realize that he's just there as an empty totem of fan culture. Just pop detritius, like so many Funko Pop figures and whatever merchandise they sell at those "pop culture" stores in the mall where you can buy.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2017 21:18 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Aug 2017 00:00 #252274 by jpat
I think there's a chance the book could make a decent movie and that late-career Spielberg is the right one to try it, in no small part because the book is as much a reflection of his better work as anything. The book's not great, but it could probably be a better audiovisual experience than a verbal one. That doesn't get to the writer's critique, which is valid if excessively condemnatory.

More
09 Aug 2017 06:12 #252276 by Erik Twice
While it might reflect some of the worst parts of nerd culture I have yet to see anyone in nerd culture defending the book. Most people are beyond surprised it's such a piece of garbage and Twitter spent a very long time mocking excerpts from it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
09 Aug 2017 09:45 #252278 by RobertB
The book isn't for me - I'm not nostalgic for the 80's. But I asked a coworker for her opinion. "Read it, it was a nice beach read, it would make a good movie." A lot of Lund's article's comments are similar.

More
09 Aug 2017 10:05 #252280 by san il defanso
I haven't read Ready Player One, but I would not at all be surprised if the movie ended up working better because the references would be visual rather than textual. If the script ends up drawing a lot of attention to the references in the dialog that would probably suck.

Also, I think Lund is a bit hard on more recent Spielberg movies. First of all he's made a LOT of movies in the last fifteen years, and a lot of them are very good. I liked Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, and Munich especially. I haven't seen Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, or Warhorse, but I've heard good things about them as well. I'm also willing to defend the fourth Indiana Jones movie and Tintin, though I'm not really super interested in doing that here.

Hardly a perfect record (a lot of the ones I mentioned are only liked by me), but I don't think the characterization of him being completely past his prime is altogether fair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
09 Aug 2017 10:36 - 09 Aug 2017 10:37 #252281 by Jexik
I read it. it wasn't as consciously horrible as the article says to me at the time, but I can see him saying that- those passages are awful. Kline has probably developed a facial tick from winking so much.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2017 10:37 by Jexik.

More
09 Aug 2017 11:50 #252287 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Jeb Lund reads Ready Player One
Shit sandwich

More
09 Aug 2017 16:38 - 09 Aug 2017 16:41 #252306 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I read it a few years ago and hated it. It felt like something that was of a quality aimed at 12 year Olds, but with all the nerd culture references from the 80s it was clearly aimed at the younger end of Gen X.

But the film looks better as the trailer is mostly devoid of the 80s references and it is possible that you can use the bones of the story to make something watchable.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2017 16:41 by Ancient_of_MuMu.

More
09 Aug 2017 18:00 - 09 Aug 2017 18:01 #252312 by Nodens
It isn't unreadable, parts of it are entertaining. But anyone who actually lived in the 80s will know after the first couple of pages that Cline just read up on all that stuff. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about. Also, the review is correct, the politics/corporation/capitalism angle makes no sense in this form, it's just as hollow as the fan stuff. Maybe the problem is that he just doesn't have any opinion or taste, always tough for a writer.
That Tintin movie is fuckin awesome, though. I watch it three or four times a year, sometimes without the kids.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2017 18:01 by Nodens. Reason: tyop

More
10 Aug 2017 12:29 #252333 by Josh Look
I LOVE nostalgia and 80s stuff, but Ready Player One is one of the worst books I've ever read.

More
10 Aug 2017 13:36 #252335 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Jeb Lund reads Ready Player One
Was really hoping for some Thanks on that "shit sandwich" review, folks. It's got nostalgia built right in! I'm meta as hell!

READY PLAYER ONE is execrable. As I read it, it felt like I was reading from the perspective of someone that picked on nerds (like me) rather than actually being one. They were well-versed in the ideas of 80s nostalgic nerdery, but only at a cursory level--enough to craft a cutting jibe about "rolling a low Charisma" or something.

It's incredibly shallow. And even though nerds fucking won, I mean, good lord, Marvel makes the biggest entertainment products in the world, I can't for a second believe in the fundamental conceit of this work. SNOWCRASH is a better book about quasi-dystopian Internet-based culture and STRANGER THINGS is a better homage to 80s nerdery. You can get better exemplars of everything in this book from other places, and I encourage you to do so.

More
11 Aug 2017 18:18 #252384 by san il defanso

jeb wrote: Was really hoping for some Thanks on that "shit sandwich" review, folks. It's got nostalgia built right in! I'm meta as hell!

Well that's just nit-picking isn't it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.694 seconds