October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS

More
19 Aug 2017 01:04 #252650 by SuperflyPete
geekandsundry.com/danger-adventure-marbl...land-is-coming-back/

He is forgiven for whatever sins he committed by publishing Seafall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, OldHippy, Colorcrayons, Motorik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2017 09:56 #252658 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
Well that came out of nowhere...

More
19 Aug 2017 12:02 #252663 by SebastianBludd
I can't wait to open little envelopes filled with marbles and write mountain names on the board with sharpie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons, cropcircles

More
19 Aug 2017 13:24 #252669 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
This is by far the best boardgame news I've heard in years... hell maybe the best news period. I am beyond pumped about this. It sounds like he's going to tinker with the design and I hope those efforts don't go too far. Rob was saying he wanted to see more strategy and actual choices that have real meaning... I'm not sure how on board with that I am. Luckily I still own the original and can play that whenever I like.

Rob said he didn't like the long run up to the Idol.. fair enough. That can bog down at times, I don't mind but I can see how others would.

What really kind of cheeses me off is this is what I wanted to do. I wanted to make a big 3D board and re-do Fireball Island with some updates and the like.. I suppose I still could and honestly I probably would never get around to it anyway... either way I hope the rest of the boardgame world can at least be half as excited as I am. Indiana Jones type games always appeal to and yet they hardly exist. I'm not sure if it's hard to do that well or people just aren't that interested. I wish Fortune and Glory had of sounded better than it did. The Adventurers appeals to me and I hope to one day get a copy but Fireball Island was there first and still rocks.

I will kickstart this at the highest level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, SuperflyPete

More
20 Aug 2017 11:38 #252696 by Colorcrayons

JonJacob wrote: This is by far the best boardgame news I've heard in years...

Besides the news (years ago) about Survive and Wiz-War returning, I must emphatically agree.

I can't help but be a bit skeptical about design changes, but I have faith. Fireball Island is a fun game, but after playing it a few times it can lose its luster. A design change to help replayability and thus its longevity as a game cycled onto a table could be welcome.

More
20 Aug 2017 12:08 #252698 by Michael Barnes
I just got Downforce, the remake of Top Race/Daytona 500/Detroit Cleveland Grand Prix that Restoration just put out. If it's any indication...these guys are the real deal. The graphic design is awesome, the components are great, and the updates are minor, optional, and respectful. I am really excited about the other things they are working on, the only whiff has been changing the art and concept of Dragonmaster.

I'd be willing to back this one myself.

More
20 Aug 2017 12:28 #252700 by Colorcrayons
Yeah this seems to be a guaranteed Kickstarter success. I hate that platform, but I do plan on backing.

More
20 Aug 2017 16:43 #252704 by gversace
Replied by gversace on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
Just played my first game of the "restored" Stop Thief! they put out. It's very well done. Some bugs in the app that need to be stomped out, but overall, an improvement on the original that retains the core of the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Motorik

More
21 Aug 2017 09:19 #252739 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
We need Fireball Island Legacy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

More
21 Aug 2017 15:18 #252778 by OldHippy

fastbilly1 wrote: We need Fireball Island Legacy.

The one thing that could have made this news irritate me ;)

As far as I'm concerned they can change shit around but these things need to still be in the game.

3D board with a big tiki idol
Rolling marbles, obviously
Bridges
The token you cash in to fill up your hand
The Caves
Some basic card play like cancel cards, talismans, fireball, and a fake jewel card
multiple paths

If those elements remain in game and the tweaks stay respectful this could be huge.. if they veer to far down the road into 'let's make it strategic' then it could be ruined. Luckily I mostly trust Rob to make the right choice ... although I'm going to watch development closely.

More
21 Aug 2017 15:22 #252780 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
While I was joking about that, someone on another forum sent me a video about the creators ideas for a 25th anniversary version:

Pretty much small side boards that could attach to the main board with more ball based gimmicks:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
21 Aug 2017 15:39 #252786 by OldHippy
I would pay big bucks for that. I see no reason to change the basic game but I imagine new players would find the game play too boring once the novelty wears off. My hope is the new version allows you to play something very similar to the original and the new elements... the more strategic ones, are optional.

More
22 Aug 2017 09:30 #252857 by Motorik
Replied by Motorik on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
I'm pretty dang stoked for this one. Fireball Island is my most house-ruled game, as we used to play it with a set of homemade cards that added roles, weapons, items and encounters a la Talisman. I'm hoping Restoration goes a little in that direction with whatever new stuff they add. The original design is pretty underrated, though, and there are some nice thematic touches built into the game system (e.g., how the total crapshoot of rolling dice to determine which cave you emerge from neatly simulates getting lost in a goddamn cave).

Also, while I haven't been blown away by the art direction of Restoration's first three releases, I'm absolutely loving the mid-century travel poster / 50s Tiki vibe I'm getting from the concept art. I actually like it a LOT more than if they'd taken a generic Indiana Jones tack with the art.

More
13 Mar 2018 14:39 #265591 by Motorik
Replied by Motorik on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
Necro'ing this thread back from the dead...

Restoration Games announced today that there will be three (3) expansions available in the Fireball Island Kickstarter. Looks like two small box expansions and a medium/large box expansion. They're also planned for separate retail sale.

At the risk of undermining my negative views re: the Batman Kickstarter with the taint of total hypocrisy, I'm absolutely all-in on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
13 Mar 2018 15:02 #265596 by Colorcrayons
I am wait and see on all of the above.

If the game is decent it shouldn't need a ton of expansion material and they have three planned?

Yet another KS where you're encouraged to buy expansion material for an unknown design. (Not completely unknown, but we do know it's getting tweaked so it may as well be unknown)

That whole idea has curbed my enthusiasm a lot.

But once it hits retail, if they are good I'll buy em. It really shouldn't be necessary for Fireball Island though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds