October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The Game That You Don't Play Anymore

More
24 Aug 2017 18:13 #253088 by Erik Twice
I haven't played Steam, one of my favourite games, in an extremely long time.

The reason is that the last time I brought it to the group it flopped. They didn't like and were mostly confused, not really knowing what to do or how to win and having a lot of trouble with the auction. It's not a game you can play right the first time and I haven't had the chance to try it since.

Still when I think about it I'm not so sure, I think there were two unrelated problems:

1) One of the palyers did not like the game and focused too much on "building". Steam is a passive-aggressive game: If you try to "build", you'll get blocked. If you are to aggressive, you become poor.

2) I did not know how to present the game to make it accessible. I focused too much on rules and too little on tactics.

Still, I miss that game. It's fantastic and becomes better and better the more you play ir and the more advanced maps you can play.

While at first I thought my current group simply didn't like it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2017 19:02 #253089 by Black Barney
i have a copy of Steam that's never been played at my haus, same with Terra Mystica. Gawd, I'm the worst :(

More
24 Aug 2017 19:08 #253090 by Michael Barnes
We keep telling you that they don't go in your 3DO but you won't listen.

Arkham Horror is my biggest one. I will likely never play it again.

Strangely, Dune has sort of fallen into this zone. We NEVER choose it over Cosmic anymore, and things like Cthulhu Wars have pushed it away.

Most FFG titles, really, apart from the licensed reprints.

Agricola.

Princes of Florence.

All the stuff I've sold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
24 Aug 2017 20:08 #253092 by Chaz
The current answer is "all of them". It's been years since I had a regular game group. I moved to Boston, but my regular gaming buddy moved to DC at the same time. Then everyone started having kids, then I moved up to NH and had a kid. But I still work in Boston, so the commute kills any weeknight time, and I haven't found a group up here anyway.

But back when I did have a regular group, the one that came out a TON was Railroad Tycoon. The old Eagle Games one with the ridiculously large board. For whatever reason, we played that thing weekly for months.

What eventually killed it is that one guy in particular got really into strategizing everything, and was vocal about the potential outcomes of other peoples' moves. One time, there was some turn auction or other that was going to give the first player some bonus card. He spent five minutes arguing about how I needed to spend more than I wanted to on the auction. I didn't, another guy got the card, and dude got SUPER pissed at me, yelling that I'd just handed the game to the other guy. I walked away from the game, and refused to ever play it again. I think the group played it once or twice more after that.

Of course, almost fifteen years later, I kind of want a copy of whatever the current version of it is. That game was pretty fun. Even without the ridiculous board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
24 Aug 2017 20:35 #253094 by Jackwraith

metalface13 wrote:

Jackwraith wrote: a half-dozen BFG fleets, 3 Epic Armageddon armies, 3 Necromunda gangs, 2 Mordheim gangs, and 2 Blood Bowl teams, all of which I painted myself. To say that I was "into it" was more than a little bit of an understatement. I finally decided I'd had my fill and moved on.

Still got any of these?

Not really. I sold almost everything a few years ago. I do still have a TON of Space Marines, Chaos Demons, and Chaos Warriors that should find a new home, if anyone's interested. The only things I kept because I wanted them are my 8000+ points of Skaven, my Sisters of Battle, and my Epic Imperial Guard.

More
25 Aug 2017 03:08 #253111 by mads b.
Twilight Imperium. The second edition was what got me back into gaming along with Game of Thrones, and I've played the third edition many times. But it is just so long, and not always that fulfilling. I don't think I'll get to play that again in the near forseeable future, but maybe some day when I don't have small kids.

I've also had several years where I didn't play Arkham Horror. But just recently I played some solo games, and it's still awesome. Yes, it has a lot of moving parts, but there's not that much setup, really. Or rather, it's mostly just putting things in piles on the table. I believe Eldritch Horror is the better game, but Arkham feels so much more like a real place, and that makes it somewhat more interesting to play.

More
25 Aug 2017 10:33 - 25 Aug 2017 10:36 #253119 by Jexik

SuperflyTNT wrote: Heroscape. I went on TRIPS to play that game
and now I don't own any terrain and only have a handful of models.

Same. Although I have a little bit of terrain and figures left. Generally 1 of every terrain set and some essential units and armies. AND I played last week because the boy is almost 7. You'd probably still be 'scaping if there were more Y chromosomes in your house. ;)

I have almost no desire to go back to painted hobby miniatures games (played 40k briefly in middle school) or MMORPGs. For the former I just don't want to paint the figures- i was ecstatic about how clean the ruleset for Heroscape was and how everything was pre-painted. I remember the day I quit World of Warcraft like how someone talks about alcohol. For someone into numbers and obsessed about games, it's an existential black hole.

In general I tend to get obsessed with one game at a time. It has been Chess, Dominion, MtG (on 3 or 4 separate occasions), Heroscape, Descent, Summoner Wars, Evolution, etc. How long the honeymoon lasts depends largely on whether or not my friends enjoy the game. Heroscape was a turning point where I sought out other gamers and drove distances to play stuff- perhaps this was rooted in my playing of online games like Halo 2 and WoW. My favorite game now is definitely X-Wing, but I hardly get any chances to play it.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2017 10:36 by Jexik.

More
25 Aug 2017 11:03 #253125 by SuperflyPete
You were straight up addicted to Summoner Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
25 Aug 2017 11:36 - 25 Aug 2017 12:13 #253128 by Jexik
It's a great game. It's a shame that I eventually lost interest, probably screwed up the balance on a few key units, and then later stuff got too convoluted for its own good. When Vasel last did a top 100, Summoner Wars was #2 only behind Cosmic Encounter. (And the deck I designed was his favorite from the Alliances Master set).

My avatar here and on BGG is an obscure reference to a fan's battle report about one of the starter sets- Phoenix Elves v. Tundra Orcs. The guy claimed that Elien would probably kick puppies. So I got Cory (2nd lead tester on Summoner Wars) to put a tundra orc choker on a little white puppy.

I don't have any tattoos, but putting the cloaks symbol somewhere on my person is still high on the list of potential choices.

And they did this:

The irony is that I had lost interest by this point, so I don't even know what my guy does half the time and I'm absolute crap with and against him.

But yeah... between 2009 and 2013, I probably played well over 1000 times. Since then, it's definitely under 100, probably even 20.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2017 12:13 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, scrumpyjack

More
25 Aug 2017 13:08 - 25 Aug 2017 13:09 #253135 by Pat II
Starting from rhe beginning and omitting rpg's:
Car Wars
Battletech
Warhammer 40k
Epic 40k in all its iterations
Last Night on Earth. Played this quite a bit with many people. I have all the expansions so it is essy to put together a game/scenario that works well. Played alot with non- gamer types and was fun.
Now I play just a little of lots of games, not a lot of repeats except Catan.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2017 13:09 by Pat II.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds