October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E Humble Bundle

More
13 Sep 2017 21:35 #254211 by ufe20
Never played this so can't confirm, but sounds like it's most everything from second edition if you pay $20. Figured some of you guys would be interested.

Link here
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, the_jake_1973

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2017 22:56 #254216 by dysjunct
This is, IMO, the best edition of the game. A refinement of 1e, without all the boardgamey cruft of 3e.

More
13 Sep 2017 23:08 #254217 by san il defanso
How is the quality of the published adventures? Seems like a pretty great investment, but I don't want to mess with creating much in the way of stories.

More
13 Sep 2017 23:50 #254222 by Gary Sax
It has some if the most legendary published adventures of all time IIRC

More
14 Sep 2017 01:47 #254226 by Not Sure
"Enemy Within" was the standout story, but that was 1st Edition (internet is full of people who converted it, though).

That doesn't appear to be included here (only the 1e main book), but there's clearly a ton of adventure material.

I have zero chance of playing WFRP again, but I've held onto my 1e book for the good times we had with it. I never got into 2e, but for $20 I think I'll just read all I want.

The careers system is still one of my favorite things in an RPG, ever.

More
14 Sep 2017 04:10 - 14 Sep 2017 05:53 #254227 by Matt Thrower

Gary Sax wrote: It has some if the most legendary published adventures of all time IIRC

Not Sure wrote: "Enemy Within" was the standout story, but that was 1st Edition (internet is full of people who converted it, though).

That doesn't appear to be included here (only the 1e main book), but there's clearly a ton of adventure material.

The Enemy Within was the first module in what became known as The Enemy Within Campaign . That's the legendary adventure material for WHFRP, widely touted as one of the greatest adventure series of all time. I went through it as a player, and it was awesome.

It was republished by Hogshead publishing and I thought that was for 2e, but it seems I'm wrong - it was just the original material from a new vendor. They took the original Enemy Within and combined it with the second adventure in the series, Shadows over Bogenhafen, under that title.

None of that campaign material is in this bundle, and I can't speak for the adventures that are included. It is a very good game system, though, so it's worth a pop for the core rulebook if you don't have it.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2017 05:53 by Matt Thrower.

More
14 Sep 2017 06:34 #254229 by Gary Sax
Thanks for the fact check, that is what I was thinking of.

More
14 Sep 2017 09:27 - 14 Sep 2017 09:40 #254235 by ufe20
So glancing at wikipedia, it seems the following books have adventures in them:

-Plundered Vaults (three classic scenarios updated from the previous edition and three new scenarios)
-Lure of the Liche Lord: An Adventure in the Border Princes (adventure pack)
-Ashes of Middenheim: Paths of the Damned Campaign volume 1
-Spires of Altdorf: Paths of the Damned Campaign volume 2
-Forges of Nuln: Paths of the Damned Campaign volume 3
-Karak Azgal: Adventures of the Dragon Crag (adventure pack and dungeon sourcebook)
-Barony of the Damned: An Adventure in Mousillon (adventure pack and Mousillon sourcebook)
-Terror in Talabheim: An Adventure in the Eye of the Forest (adventure pack and Talabheim sourcebook)
-Realms of Sorcery (magic sourcebook, including a short adventure )

Sounds like the main rulebook has a scenario in it as well. Probably never getting around to playing the Paths of the Damned campaign, but anyone familiar with these know of a good short adventure? I know WFR has a reputation for being brutal on PCs so figure it would be fun for a one off where nobody's attached to their character.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2017 09:40 by ufe20.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Sep 2017 09:49 - 14 Sep 2017 09:50 #254237 by Mr. White
I played a bit of WFRP 2nd ed and agree with what has been said. The 2nd ed rules are the best for this setting. My favorite set of fantasy RPG rules to date.
I thought the adventures were quite good as well. The 2nd ed setting takes place after a major Chaos invasion that happened in the tabletop game around '03-'04...Storm of Chaos, so Chaos is more a known enemy than the insidious 'Enemy Within' of 1e. Many 1e WFRP players didn't care for this shift. However, it's very easy to handwave the Storm of Chaos away and play the 2nd ed rules in the 1st ed setting. For my gaming dollar, I thought the 2nd ed setting was fine as is and allowed for the flexibility of more types of narrative than 1e did.

There's a neat mini adventure in the skaven book (iirc), Children of the Horned Rat, where an NPC cartographer is going crazy because he keeps trying to map an island that seems to change on him every visit (the island is Catan).
Last edit: 14 Sep 2017 09:50 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ufe20

More
14 Sep 2017 09:52 #254238 by ufe20
Someone on reddit linked some character sheets

A fillable PDF version of the original

and

A fan made one

More
14 Sep 2017 09:57 #254239 by dysjunct
The "Paths of the Damned" campaign, especially the later two installments, was not very well regarded. Very railroady and uninspiring. However my group had fun with it. I treated it more as a series of suggestions and settings, and it worked out fine.

I seem to recall the core book and the GM pack having good, short adventures that were nice and thematic. But it's been years since I've had the books, so I can't guarantee it.

More
14 Sep 2017 09:58 - 14 Sep 2017 09:59 #254240 by Mr. White
I'm reminded of another bit of that ol' WFRP humor.

I think it's in the second adventure in the Path of the Damned campaign, but maybe not. Either way, there's this encounter where these three (I think) hungry ogre highwaymen waylay the PCs to eat. If the PCs manage to kill one of the ogres, the other two stop fighting, look at each other, their fallen comrade, then thank the PCs for the lunch and carry the dead ogre off.

Dark humor like that was definitely still in the game and like I said the rules are better. Chris Pramas had a great handle on what made WFRP....WFRP.

I would play 2e over 1e (setting and rules) everytime.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2017 09:59 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso

More
14 Sep 2017 10:02 #254241 by Mr. White
Ha! A little more.
Green Ronin/Black Industries did yearly adventure competitions and fans submitted scenarios that were hosted on their site. Many outstanding 2e adventures were submitted. You might be able to find all of these online somewhere (the wayback machine?), but they were a massive free resource of adventures, if not ideas.

Also, there was a chart where beginning career PCs could roll on to see how they got their first hand weapon. It's my favorite rpg chart. Hopefully it's online somewhere as well. If not, I'll see if I have it on one of my old hard drives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso

More
14 Sep 2017 10:20 #254243 by the_jake_1973
This link needs to be listed as well: Gitzman's WHFRP map
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso, ufe20

More
14 Sep 2017 10:24 #254244 by san il defanso
Alright, you all convinced me. This looks like a lot of fun to read at any rate, and even if I never get to play, hey, it's for charity.

I hadn't realized 2e was so recent. It looks like it was only active for a few years before FFG released the third edition.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds