October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Doom (new) vs Doom (old)

More
20 Oct 2017 03:04 - 20 Oct 2017 03:08 #256037 by __
Doom (new) vs Doom (old) was created by __
I saw the new DOOM on the FLGS shelves last week and now that I've started to think about trying painting, one of the reasons for not getting those kinds of games has faded. I quite enjoyed the old Doom but didnt play it that often and possibly have hazy memories, I seem to recall playing a version where the marines were in 4 corners of a map and effectively killing each other with monsters spawning just to make a mess. Sort of like PvP deathmatch. That was pretty cool.

How does the new DOOM compare to the old one, same game just reprinted, or they made changes? Is it worth seeking out an older version again or this new one worth it?

i see the new one has no expansion but maybe its got the "pvp" deathmatch option and other stuff in the base game? (thats also cool to allow games without an invader vs type setup).
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 03:08 by __.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2017 08:53 #256044 by hotseatgames
I have not played the original Doom, but I know some things about it and I played a hell of a lot of Descent 1st edition. I also own the new Doom. They are completely different. It's quite possible that fans have made content that would port some of the old monsters to the new system, I don't know.

Deathmatch is not in the new box, but someone did make a mod for it. I haven't tried it. I myself created a simple full co-op mod (it's called Horde mode). Both of these are available on BGG.

You would definitely want the new game; it's streamlined and much more fast-paced. I will say that in the times I've played it, I have never even come close to winning as the Overlord. While that might sound bad, it was the completely different direction in the original game, and even though my players were crushing every monster I threw at them, they were having a blast doing it. It was fun for everyone, even though I was struggling to even kill one of them. A lot of this is probably due to scenario balance; the designer himself has said that some of the scenarios were rushed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: __

More
20 Oct 2017 09:35 #256051 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Doom (new) vs Doom (old)
The new Doom is the same type of game as the old Doom, but they play very differently. The old Doom was the first dry run for the Descent engine, which to be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of.

New Doom plays like this:
The heroes pick their weapons at the beginning of the game. Each weapon has a set of cards tied to it, so each player takes the basic marine cards and the cards for their weapons and shuffles them up and draws a hand. The game uses a deck of cards to determine initiative order. When a marine player has their initiative card come up, the take their actions, which is done by selecting cards from their hands. Each card details how far they can move, the range of their attack, how many dice they’re rolling in an attack, and any special rules. Keeps things very thematic for the weapons they’re carrying. If they pick up a new weapon, they take those cards, shuffle them up and put them on top of the deck.

The villain player is a little more familiar, they just activate a group of enemies when they’re card comes up, but the monsters have a similar layout to the marine’s cards. It’s actually quite fun to play the demons.

No campaign (WHICH I LOVE). It’s a tighter, cleaner, more to the point game than old Doom was. Old Doom was a dungeon crawl, which made sense when it came out because it was based on Doom 3, a game that was A slower, more story based game than previous Doom games. The new Doom video game is a glorious back to basics, and the new Doom board game follows suit. It feels like a tabletop FPS, and to me, feels more like a classic Doom experience. I absolutely adore it and can not recommend it enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, __

More
20 Oct 2017 10:47 #256068 by __
Replied by __ on topic Doom (new) vs Doom (old)
I wonder if an expansion will come with some added stuff and maybe PvP possibilities. It would be good if its easy just to throw the marines at each other, and maybe some kind of AI based system like D6DAS so you could just get monsters coming atyou
I think I will pick up the new one though (will miss those cool dice from the original).

Is it possible to tweak the balance by just adding more monsters or cards as the invader? (imbalance not an issue though, I can let the kids be the marines)

More
20 Oct 2017 11:05 #256071 by hotseatgames
You can make the Invader more powerful by giving him bonus Argent, or reducing the health kits in the map. Or simply reducing the Marines' health.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds