October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

War of the Worlds from Ares -- Tripods and Triplanes

More
11 Dec 2017 12:25 #258899 by fastbilly1
Cranberries - buy both of the duel packs and if the itch is still there, then you ask Sag what to buy...

I have three games in as the tripod player. Two vs a single Sopwith Camel, one vs a Camel and a Nieuport 28. Tripods are a bit clunky. They require a lot more planning than the planes. But once you figure out how they work, they are awesome. One on One, the Tripod should win every time. The planes are nimble, but the tripod can do a 180 facing for the price of one round. First match, the Camel got an explosion on the third shot, but took heavy damage. Second match, the tripod dominated the battle, quickly turning and blasting the Camel with the heatray. The game changes when you have two planes harassing the tripod. Then it becomes a game of setup smoke clouds and try to have one plane hit your shields. I ended up having to spend a round every turn to generate energy because the planes kept peppering my shields. Eventually they lost one plane to the smoke and the tripod mopped up the other.

We are trying one double tripod on three plane game tonight. Then back to one on one to see if my wife controlling the tripod is equally deadly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Sagrilarus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2017 12:49 - 11 Dec 2017 14:00 #258903 by Sagrilarus
Our last session out I played my son's favorite plane, the Aviatik, and he played mine, the Hanriot HD.1. He was of the opinion that the Hanriot was the best plane in the game and I'll admit it's a great plane to fly and I like Fucini's paint job. But I kicked ass with the Aviatik and had a great time doing it.

The take-away is that you buy the planes you like. Get the Duel Packs just because you can pick them up inexpensively and get the damage decks with them, then buy the Rules & Accessories pack. At that point you're done, if you don't want any more airplanes. If you do, buy the ones you like. So the price for the full entry package (two Duel Packs and the Rules & Accessory Pack for $66 online. What you buy after that is just to add more players (and your buddies can each buy a plane they like instead of you buying all of it) or to get some variety of airplanes. You can stay under $100 pretty doggone easily on this one, which is pretty doggone cheap for a minis game.

As for Tripods -- I will likely buy the starter kit and a couple of extra tripods. Looks like a nice addition to the game and I love the asymmetry. That's the cheap package. As for the Kickstarter, the add-ons aren't calling out to me yet, so I'm planning to buy retail right now. Let's see what a couple of extra stretch goals bring.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2017 14:00 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
11 Dec 2017 13:28 #258910 by fastbilly1
I am buying the kickstarter mostly to get the extra Camel, well that and I have the money already allocated for it since Christmas came in way under budget.

More
12 Dec 2017 10:21 #258958 by fastbilly1

fastbilly1 wrote: We are trying one double tripod on three plane game tonight. Then back to one on one to see if my wife controlling the tripod is equally deadly.

2 Tripods vs 3 planes ended with the tornado caused by a cat jumping on the table and moving the printed pieces all over the table. We got about three turns and it was working pretty well. The balance did not seem in favor of either side.

More
21 Dec 2017 12:28 - 21 Dec 2017 12:30 #259441 by Sagrilarus
This critter made book -- $119k in pre-orders. 182 backers ponied up $200.

There's 16 or 18 stretch goals added into the package. I didn't jump in. I don't need more airplanes and wasn't interested in the other upgrades, so I think I'm going to look to pick this up in the retail channel or in the aftermarket at some point next year. I'll be interested to see photos of the finished product from people when they receive them.

Ares has put some serious effort into this line in 2017. The reboot of the WW2 version of the game, this Tripods expansion of theme and model line, and a still to be released Scenarios Pack for WW1. Here's hoping their efforts pay off.

S.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2017 12:30 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds