October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

SpaceCorp discussion thread

More
25 Apr 2018 09:07 - 25 Apr 2018 09:21 #271216 by Sagrilarus
Final art proposal for one of the maps:

GMT's email indicates August/September ship date, WAY at the bottom of about a six foot long email. They have more shit going on right now than every other wargame publisher combined.

Still privately held company, right?

Talon 1000 has been pushed again to Q4 2018. Higher up the email, but lower down the print priority.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Apr 2018 09:21 by Sagrilarus. Reason: Missed a zero.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2018 10:12 #271270 by Msample
Yes, they are still independently owned. I don't know if they've been approached about being bought or not.

As far as delays, last months update made mention of some sort of production issue overseas that had a ripple effect that pushed out everything a couple months; I had high hopes ( as did GMT I am sure ) that SPACECORP would have been out in time for WBC, where I am sure it would have sold like hotcakes. I don't know if the new publication timeline even allows for advance copies to be flown in on time.

More
25 Apr 2018 10:25 #271279 by Sagrilarus
Spacecorp didn't push. It's been mid-summer since its first date was announced. Talon keeps getting pushed farther out.

Leads me to believe that Spacecorp has more significant clout at GMT for the moment. They may still be trying for a mid-summer release.

More
25 Apr 2018 10:33 #271285 by Msample

Sagrilarus wrote: Spacecorp didn't push. It's been mid-summer since its first date was announced. Talon keeps getting pushed farther out.

Leads me to believe that Spacecorp has more significant clout at GMT for the moment. They may still be trying for a mid-summer release.

I think it has higher upside than a lot of other games in the pipeline. It has a veritable all star cast in terms of design/development as well as large crossover appeal. I don't think they'll rush it per se - if it can't make WBC, they'll let it hit whenever. They don't exhibit at GenCon so its not a rush for that.

More
25 Apr 2018 10:45 #271294 by Sagrilarus
You can't trust the reviews on GMT because they're all hugs and kisses. But the other reviews I've seen, on ConSimWorld and BGG and in a couple of blogs have been exceptionally positive for it too, saying it flows very well. Looks like a killer solo game. Butterfield and the Jensens are about as good a set of bonafides as you're going to get, but I think I've already crowed about that here.

The art is . . . solid. Not stunning, but it may not have been fully baked yet. Mounted boards, so this is going to be in a C&C box. Don't see a name on the art other than Rachel Billingsley for the art on the web page. Very likely not part of the final package.

I think this will be sold out by Christmas. This will pull the Sierra Madre crowd along with the usual suspects.

It's pretty rare I get on a P500 and I've canceled my other P500 at GMT. But this one I figure is a pretty safe bet, and I imagine I'll be able to sell it at MSRP if it turns out I don't care for it. Pre-pub price is $27 off of retail, $82 for this one. That's a lot of coin for a cheapskate like me.

Hey, I can do a review on the new web site for this one! I should ask for an advance copy.

More
25 Apr 2018 11:03 #271310 by Msample
They've only shown the one board. There are two more as well as some player aids . The game has several decks of cards as well as some nice big chunky counters as well. A lot of opportunity for eye candy that will drawn in more people once they post that. It will be a pretty impressive package once its all finished. I've played the multi player game 4 times and logged 7-8 solo games and think its a very good game that will draw great reviews once it hits. Mechanically, play time doesn't really change with adding more players ( max of four ) which is a plus IMO.

I have a feeling GMT will be pretty aggressive on the print run size; this has a great chance of drawing in a wide cross section of gamers IMO.

More
09 May 2018 09:02 #272915 by Sagrilarus
If you open this doc -- indd.adobe.com/view/a7c535bf-5a90-46aa-8a0f-1b1766c81881 (the rulebook for solo play) you can see all the art to-date, which is likely final or very close to it. This is going to be a good looking game, better than most from GMT.

GMT uses good materials, they have great finishes on their pieces, and you can chock the wheel of your car with one of their boxes. But they don't exactly set the world ablaze with their art. Spacecorp looks to be an exception to that in the correct direction. The maps really look good. Worth cracking open the doc above and thumbing through the pages.

The kickstarter link is here -- www.gmtgames.com/p-613-spacecorp.aspx and the game will almost assuredly become unavailable before the end of the year.

More
09 May 2018 10:08 #272920 by Msample
I saw your BGG thread on artwork. My guess is that the new guy did the maps, they don't look like the usual Simonitch stuff ( he does excellent work BTW, nothing against him ) .

More
09 May 2018 10:35 #272922 by Sagrilarus

Msample wrote: I saw your BGG thread on artwork. My guess is that the new guy did the maps, they don't look like the usual Simonitch stuff ( he does excellent work BTW, nothing against him ) .

The new guy appears to be "Shrox" -- I googled it and found a web site that appears to match the content on the cards and box cover. So GMT got a hired gun with experience in the genre. Another good sign. shrox.com/art.html

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, stoic

More
09 May 2018 12:42 #272931 by jpat
This makes me wish--again, futilely--that GMT would re-do the box art for Space Empires 4X to match the style of the expansion boxes' art--although they did promise that sort of update with the second printing of Triumph and Tragedy, and mostly what we got was Rodger rearranging the clip art.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
09 May 2018 16:46 #272964 by Msample

jpat wrote: mostly what we got was Rodger rearranging the clip art.

In a handful of cases they've gone with non MacGowan artwork; some designers have requested this . Off the top of my head I can't remember which non MacGowan covers, but I do remember liking them. Unfortunately he seems to have his fans. Realistically he's more a figurehead than an actual artist at this point. The vast majority of his cover art is either recycled from his earlier work or stylized from public domain photos. Maps and counters are done by others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
09 May 2018 18:29 #272989 by ratpfink
Scanned through the rulebook link above. I was impressed that the GMT-ese(a lighter version of Avalon Hill-ese?) rule format wasn't followed. Who knew they could not do rules that way...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
18 Jun 2018 13:44 - 18 Jun 2018 14:09 #275696 by Sagrilarus
Slated for September. In the queue at the printer.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2018 14:09 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, repoman

More
18 Jun 2018 19:00 #275720 by repoman
I backed this a while back. First and only thing I've P500'd in a long long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
13 Oct 2018 09:18 #283036 by stoic
Waiting for this one to ship...will it be in October?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds