October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

At what point do you sell your Heroscape?

More
14 Jan 2018 16:56 #260925 by drewcula
I am a FAT:tie because of Heroscape.
I followed Pete's Heroscape musings on his blog for years.
Pete was a FAT:tie.
Now I'm a FAT:tie too.

I fucking adore Heroscape. I only play it once a year. During a "National Heroscape Day" even in the fall. I play in a tournament with some Mid-Atlantic regional die-hards. It's a lot of fun.

I own it all. I mean it. ALL of it. You could call me out and say I don't have the proxy exclusive Minuteman. His card is available for download, but the repaint was never officially released. I'm too much of an OCD nut to break down one of my 4th Mass line men squads to paint him. Anyway, three sets of all commons takes up a lot of space. I have it all stored in four plastic tubs. It's outta sight, but not necessarily outta mind. I think of Heroscape often. This summer, I got to meet Craig Van Ness at Gencon and he signed my Heroscape poster and a few cards; Marro Warriors (my all time favorite), Ne-Gok-Sa (2nd favorite), and a Sgt. Drake.

I guess I could sell it. I could frame that poster and hang it in my office and call it done. But I like owning that colossal stash of plastic crack. SDC sounds like a great challenge and a healthy mental cleanse. I'm a spot in my life now where I feel I can hold onto to it for a bit longer.

Keeper.

Digression: I'd say Heroscape jumped the shark with the D&D stuff. I didn't like the production value at all. Recycled, out-of-scale bullshit. The Marvel tie-in was close, but I feel its failure was due to horrible packaging and a lack of expansion material.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jexik, SuperflyPete, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2018 17:45 - 14 Jan 2018 17:47 #260935 by stoic
I started with the Marvel Heroscape and bought it at the thriftstore. This was one of the first games that captivated my son from age five onward. He'd find new superhero figures and ask if we could play them. I eventually found heroscapers.com and started downloading and printing out the cards for new superheroes. Eventually, I found a large Heroscape stash and many expansions at the thriftstore. I supplemented it using heroscapers.com's markeplace because there were a few missing figures. All of it is stored in one tub. I now also use the whole game to introduce new gamers to miniatures games and tactical combat. This year I'm also going to use the figures and terrain (including the figures and terrain from MTG: Arena) to try out a Frostgrave campaign.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2018 17:47 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, drewcula

More
14 Jan 2018 18:50 #260939 by hotseatgames
I would probably let my 2 plastic tubs and awesome pre-built map (courtesy of Pete) go, but unless selling it is easy, I'll probably just hang on to it.

More
15 Jan 2018 12:55 - 15 Jan 2018 12:59 #260987 by Jexik

drewcula wrote: I am a FAT:tie because of Heroscape.
I followed Pete's Heroscape musings on his blog for years.
Pete was a FAT:tie.
Now I'm a FAT:tie too.

Same. Heroscape is probably the reason I didn't go to grad school in my twenties. Whoops. I feel like 'scape is an excellent litmus test to see if people are playing games for the right reasons. Even at tournaments, I've NEVER seen a more awesome and welcoming community than the Heroscapers. We're talking like 2% shitheads, and one of them was a close friend of mine who still sucks.

Pete's a great writer. So is Matt Drake, although he seems to have stopped playing games. I know he had a lot of family stuff to deal with, but I love that guy, even though I've only seen him in person twice and haven't even e-mailed him in a few years.. Most of the original Plaid Hat guys (sans Isaac Vega) came out of the Heroscape community or playtesting/internships with Hasbro and knowing the 'scape guys. Colby's emphasis on community was truly something special, and last I heard (maybe 2-3 years ago), the Heroscape forums still had way more engagement than all of Plaid Hat Games' forums. Probably a generational thing like we talked about before with this site.

drewcula wrote: Digression: I'd say Heroscape jumped the shark with the D&D stuff. I didn't like the production value at all. Recycled, out-of-scale bullshit. The Marvel tie-in was close, but I feel its failure was due to horrible packaging and a lack of expansion material.

Comments like this are what made me leave the Heroscape community. I took it way too personally. Like... it really hurt me. I playtested probably hundreds of hours on that stuff, and was fucking blown away by the design work that Colby Dauch (Summoner Wars, first CEO of Plaid Hat Games), Jerry Hawthorne (later Mice and Mystics and soon Stuffed Fables which I think will be even bigger), and Chris Dupuis (later shifted to the WotC board games and did some great work- also Rob Daviau's biggest playtester on Risk Legacy). These guys are the quiet rock stars of kid-friendly Ameritrash greatness. And then people dismissed the new stuff because the sculpts were 80% the size of Heroscape stuff. I couldn't deal and had to step away. Still one of my favorite games to play when I get a chance. I just rarely do.

When Colby started Plaid Hat, I found that I really enjoyed Summoner Wars (it felt like Race for the Galaxy meets Chess meets Heroscape). I led playtesting on it for a couple years. Towards the end of my tenure I was responsible for some of the most broken units ever printed (Rune Mages and Etch), so that kinda bummed me out too. That's probably a general issue with having Mercenaries in that game, but that's another subject entirely. I also designed some key parts of later second summoners, like Maldaria, Mad Sirian, Hogar, and Natazga.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 12:59 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike, Colorcrayons, drewcula, stoic

More
15 Jan 2018 15:01 - 15 Jan 2018 15:02 #260998 by drewcula
I had little issue with the D&D unit rules. At least, no more or less than any other Heroscape rule. I bought it ALL.
Thematically, it made just as much sense to incorporate D&D, as Marvel, as Magic: The Gathering, as The Muppets, or whatever IP they could have grabbed. No problems there either, though I personally found the game system shined because of genre tropes (specific franchises weren't necessary).

It was the production value that broke my heart, 100%. IMO, it was cost cutting at its worst. For a game that had such an outstanding visual consistency between minis, terrain, and rules - the D&D plastics stuck out like a sore thumb. And now that I look at them, a lot of graphic design work on the cards is bad too.

I seem to recall the designers' hands were tied regarding D&D model choice? I distinctly remember someone (Colby?) telling frustrated Heroscapers that it was either D&D Heroscape, or no Heroscape. I was so bummed with the small bases and half staff Vakrill faction, I just wished Heroscape had stopped after wave 9.

Long live Heroscape.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 15:02 by drewcula.

More
15 Jan 2018 15:14 #260999 by SuperflyPete
I loved the D&D stuff after the initial, very short acclimation period. Lots of new models, and good ones. No or little power creep. Good shit.

I still wish I had all my Heroscape stuff. I'd be almost OK getting rid of my board games and swapping it out for Heroscape stuff for no other reason than it's just a really, really fun game.

More
15 Jan 2018 15:56 #261002 by Colorcrayons
I still defend d&d scape. I had zero issues with scale and thought the consistency in a theme was welcome, even though cowboys fighting dinosaur riding orcs is awesome too.

But at least you had a legit chance for consistency if one so chose. A pretty compelling ip to boot, too.

I dunno. More heroscape is good heroscape, regardless of how it looks.
It boggled my mind how much complaints I saw. And I bet in hindsight sight, a lot of the haters regret their words now that the game is dead for a third time. Rip Arena of the Planeswalkers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, SuperflyPete

More
15 Jan 2018 16:49 #261004 by SebastianBludd
As far as the D&D stuff goes, I'm lukewarm on the heroes. Some of them are really good (Hydra, Ogres, etc.) and I'm ambivalent about several others (the frost giant, etc.). But all the squads are great, IMO, with several interesting designs and concepts. I like how they were able to choose relatively cohesive sculpts for them and how they thought of clever abilities to make the two short-handed squads - Mezzodemons and Death Knights - viable with only two figures.

More
15 Jan 2018 18:41 #261021 by drewcula
Y'all are welcome to my gaming lounge. Coordinate a date, and I'll have the biggest baddest Heroscape map built for some serious hell raising.

HOT LAVA DEATH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
15 Jan 2018 18:52 - 15 Jan 2018 18:57 #261024 by Jexik

drewcula wrote: I seem to recall the designers' hands were tied regarding D&D model choice? I distinctly remember someone (Colby?) telling frustrated Heroscapers that it was either D&D Heroscape, or no Heroscape. I was so bummed with the small bases and half staff Vakrill faction, I just wished Heroscape had stopped after wave 9.

Long live Heroscape.

Yeah, the guys at the top (I think Peter Lee who got the main design credit), basically just told them which models they could use- it was a mess. They added Valkrill as a 7th general because otherwise literally 90% of units would go Utgar. But when I played even with proxies it was some of the most fun times I've had playing heroscape.

I've seen drafts of expansions that Jerry and Colby designed (some for original scape), and they're great. Wyrmlings and Kurrok the Elementalist was just the beginning of the use of Common Heroes.

I'm much less visual when it comes to the game. I actually loved the tactical aspect way more than when I had played Warhammer 40K. It was much deeper. The tactile part was cool too, but an afterthought.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 18:57 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
15 Jan 2018 20:00 #261030 by SuperflyPete
All thIs Scape talk is going to break me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Jan 2018 20:15 #261033 by drewcula
I've played against my fair share of tournament games against multiple squads of Phantom Knights.
It's always a tough battle.
I'm a Universal Monster nut, so the Werewolf Lord was one of my favs. [Broken record; The WL's scale and base were also more congruent with the first 9 waves]

The elementals were cool too. Pun kind-of intended.

What's the point of this thread again? Oh yeah - don't sell your Heroscape!

More
16 Jan 2018 12:24 #261102 by fastbilly1

drewcula wrote: I distinctly remember someone (Colby?) telling frustrated Heroscapers that it was either D&D Heroscape, or no Heroscape.

I remember that aswell. It was posted all over Heroscapers.

I always wanted to get enough tiles to build a giant map, but while I picked up seven or eight master sets, I never had luck getting the special terrain sets. I may just sell the tiles to a local DM and use one of the converted to inches movement systems.

More
16 Jan 2018 12:50 #261105 by SuperflyPete
I think the single best reason to never sell your Heroscape is that - the terrain can be used to convert any ruler-based game into a hex based one, and you have the added advantage of being able to have hills and whatnot built right in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
16 Jan 2018 14:53 - 16 Jan 2018 14:56 #261125 by bfkiller

cranberries wrote:

bfkiller wrote: I have a friend planning to sell an estimated $20,000 worth of Heroscape. I don't think he plans on keeping any of it. Too bad. Man I love playing on a map that fills his garage that we keep going all summer long. (He would combine his collection with another substantial local collection to make a map that size.)

Pics or it didn't happen.

I couldn't find a single pic that showed the horseshoe map in its entirety, but you get the idea.

He also still had multiple tubs of terrain that he didn't bother using for this.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2018 14:56 by bfkiller.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds