October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shelf Toad of the Year

More
19 Jan 2018 10:47 - 19 Jan 2018 10:49 #261486 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic Shelf Toad of the Year
The funniest thing about NT is that I have never lost. I'm something like 14-0. Not because I'm a military savant, but because the person who knows the rules has a huge advantage over the person who doesn't. My opponents simply got frustrated (not by me, but by the innovative/unfamiliar procedural mechanisms and lack of chaos), so they rarely wanted to play more than once or twice. So I spent a lot of time recruiting new people to try it out. I let them take back moves, and I'd give lots of advice, but in the end my rules knowledge gave me a huge leg up.

My most satisfying win, by far, was against an experienced player at a con. I think he was looking to crush me, and he didn't. Thought I was an easy mark, I guess. :)
Last edit: 19 Jan 2018 10:49 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2018 12:27 #261503 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Shelf Toad of the Year
BaM and NT both sold me largely on the looks. The block thing looks spectacular. I don't know when/if I'll ever get to play them. I didn't realize, but kinda suspected, that they were worth anything, mostly because I never wind up going to the trouble of selling games. Most of the ones I have aren't worth the time and effort to sell (like my first edition Battlelore and Pathfinder ACG that are big, and not in any demand), so I don't even bother looking. Even then, I don't know that I'd want to sell them because they'd be impossible to replace if I ever changed my mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Jan 2018 13:23 #261511 by Michael Barnes
It took a lot of soul-searching to come to the acceptance that the Bowen Simmons games are no fun at all. They are INTERESTING, god are they interesting. They look amazing. But they are completely devoid of humanity.

I managed to play both of them ten or so times with a friend that was really into wargaming at the time...and every game felt like we were learning the rules. Every action, every decision was either tentative- “Wait...is that right? Check the rules...” or inadvertantly strategically diasterous. I never felt those games click, nor did I ever feel like they rose above being a very visually unique and compelling way to depict Napoleonics.

I wanted to like them so bad...but eventually we just kind of agreed that Manoeuvre was more fun- and rewarding- to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample

More
19 Jan 2018 13:24 #261512 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Shelf Toad of the Year
I should have some thoughts on the Borg by next week, including solo play. Just put my order in this morning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, southernman, Gary Sax, stoic

More
19 Jan 2018 13:28 #261513 by Michael Barnes
We’ll compare notes, I’m ordering today too.

More
19 Jan 2018 13:38 #261514 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Shelf Toad of the Year
Whoah BaM looks amazi...

www.simmonsgames.com/tools/mapviewer/Fra...3PlayNotesFrame.html

Ok, Christ, never mind.

More
19 Jan 2018 14:30 #261528 by the_jake_1973

Chaz wrote: BaM and NT both sold me largely on the looks. The block thing looks spectacular. I don't know when/if I'll ever get to play them. I didn't realize, but kinda suspected, that they were worth anything, mostly because I never wind up going to the trouble of selling games. Most of the ones I have aren't worth the time and effort to sell (like my first edition Battlelore and Pathfinder ACG that are big, and not in any demand), so I don't even bother looking. Even then, I don't know that I'd want to sell them because they'd be impossible to replace if I ever changed my mind.

How much of the BattleLore 1st ed do you have?

More
19 Jan 2018 22:02 #261548 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Shelf Toad of the Year

Michael Barnes wrote: I wanted to like them so bad...but eventually we just kind of agreed that Manoeuvre was more fun- and rewarding- to play.

So what game is the perfect blend of the fun of Manoeuvre and the cool components of Napoleon's Triumph--Sekigahara?

More
19 Jan 2018 22:08 #261549 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Shelf Toad of the Year

the_jake_1973 wrote:

Chaz wrote: BaM and NT both sold me largely on the looks. The block thing looks spectacular. I don't know when/if I'll ever get to play them. I didn't realize, but kinda suspected, that they were worth anything, mostly because I never wind up going to the trouble of selling games. Most of the ones I have aren't worth the time and effort to sell (like my first edition Battlelore and Pathfinder ACG that are big, and not in any demand), so I don't even bother looking. Even then, I don't know that I'd want to sell them because they'd be impossible to replace if I ever changed my mind.

How much of the BattleLore 1st ed do you have?

Just the base box and whatever elemental you got for preordering. I never picked anything else up, ironically, because it never actually got played.

More
20 Jan 2018 06:28 #261555 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Shelf Toad of the Year
Napoleon's Triumph was a game I never understood. Tried to play it with a friend of mine and we got through about two turns, put it back in the box, and sold it long ago.
I don't regret getting rid of it. Yes, it looks cool but it was just beyond me.

Sekigahara's biggest PROBLEM is the components. Well the lack of proportion between the blocks and the board. That was an issue GMT was and perhaps is still having where the bits just utterly obscure the board in a completely irritating fashion. It happens in Andean Abyss and it happens in Sekigahara too. It too was another game I never quite enjoyed. Other's rave about it and their reaction is valid. I'd never say it was a bad game but it too was ejected from my collection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Jan 2018 09:29 - 20 Jan 2018 11:56 #261557 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic Shelf Toad of the Year

repoman wrote: Napoleon's Triumph was a game I never understood. Tried to play it with a friend of mine and we got through about two turns, put it back in the box, and sold it long ago.

Guns of Gettysburg is where I hit my understandability limit. We ordered a 4-pack of GoG from the original Kickstarter, and over time every single one of us ended up selling off the game. I wasn't ready to devote 6 months to learning the rules to the point where I could actually teach them, only to forget the rules again 6 months later.

I appreciate Simmons' creations, but Simmons' refusal to include playbooks is the epitome of stupid.

And to emphasize a point above: A big issue with NT for new players (and probably also BaM and GoG) is that it only takes one bad decision, and you just lose. A single battle can definitely decide the outcome of a game (broken lines, huge morale hit, etc.).
Last edit: 20 Jan 2018 11:56 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
20 Jan 2018 16:35 #261577 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Shelf Toad of the Year
You guys convinced me to get my copy of Star Trek Ascendancy out. I picked up the rules and ran through a Klingon Federation game solo. Fun. Did some dumb shit like lose last fed culture node to an invasion which slowed their victory down immensely. Shocked how simple it is. It's interesting to play a game with a long play time but not very high complexity.

Really hope I get a chance to play it in anger, but it does make me want to get the expansions. The sides are very different. No idea about their balance.

Does this have a decent VASSAL module? I could see it playing well VASSAL since it's pretty pure I go-you go

More
20 Jan 2018 17:28 #261581 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Shelf Toad of the Year
How does Ascendancy pair up to the old school MB Gamemaster games?

More
20 Jan 2018 17:55 #261584 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Shelf Toad of the Year
Definitely more complicated but I think closer to that than TI.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
20 Jan 2018 17:58 - 20 Jan 2018 18:00 #261585 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Shelf Toad of the Year

SuperflyTNT wrote: How does Ascendancy pair up to the old school MB Gamemaster games?

It is like Risk or A&A in that each player individually builds then moves attacks on their turn rather than in the Phases mechanic in games from the last two decades. While that works in those other two games I have found that with random system draws and multiple move & attacks available with the command chits it is just too easy for someone to to do a tank rush on another player if there starts to be a discrepancy in resources between them, and this can be amplified by the (awesome) exploration mechanic where the players connect at different stages in the game. I suspect this is worse in a three player game than it would be in a four player game but I doubt I'll get four people playing this for a long time.

Basically it needs a variant where everyone builds then everyone moves.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2018 18:00 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds