October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's talk Small-Team Skirmish Games

More
29 Jan 2018 13:42 - 29 Jan 2018 13:44 #262454 by stoic

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah, Frostgrave is looking really good. Didnt play today, but read the book. It has a sort of “meat and potatoes” vibe to it that I really like. It ain’t real fancy. I am really digging the random monster thing. Looking at the list I think D&DAS has all of them.

But of course, being a GW fan the first thing I did was open my wallet. Yes, I know you can use any figures but I spotted a good deal on the soldiers box, a thief, a Barbarian and a couple of wizards so I grabbed ‘em. It was only like $40. They look like fun, easy painting.

Thinking about making some of that fold-up paper terrain for it rather than going in $400 on more plastics.

You might have missed this in the other thread. A kind soul listed all of the proxies from D&DAS and Dungeon Command for Frostgrave.

boardgamegeek.com/filepage/153231/dd-adv...n-command-miniatures
Last edit: 29 Jan 2018 13:44 by stoic. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2018 14:17 #262457 by Michael Barnes
KEEEEEERIST I had no idea all of the Dungeon Command stuff got so expensive. Who’d I sell it to here? Whoever you are, you took me for a RIDE! ;-)

Looks like Castle Ravenloft actually has most of it...the list doesn’t have ToEE or ToA on it, there’s likely more.

Getting really excited about trying this out...I think my son will engage with it a little more than with AOS, which still needs a lot of chaperoning.

I went ahead and bought the Frostgrave Barbarians too with a Thaumaturge and the pack that had the Crow Master and double javelin dude because I thought they looked cool. Probably use the Crow Master as a thief at first though.

I’ve not painted since Eldar mania before Christmas and I wanted to get back to it with some simpler, “easy win” kind of stuff and I think this will do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
29 Jan 2018 14:51 #262460 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: KEEEEEERIST I had no idea all of the Dungeon Command stuff got so expensive. Who’d I sell it to here? Whoever you are, you took me for a RIDE! ;-)

I have the whole set... I think at least part of it came from you. I haven't played in a LONG time. I love the game, but if someone is willing to fork over hundreds of dollars, maybe I'll look into selling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, stoic

More
29 Jan 2018 17:27 - 29 Jan 2018 17:31 #262474 by Almalik
Thumbs up for Dragon Rampant. edit: And Havoc!

I want to like Frostgrave more than I do, but the d20 combined with the way damage resolves is awfully swingy. I find the rule sets based on Song of Blades and Heroes (that I have tried) a bit too simple. Malifaux is another like but not love.

Some rule sets that no one has mentioned:

Pulp City- my favorite supers game (even more than SuperSystem 4th, although with Pulp City you are using their world's models and stat cards vs creating your own guys in SS).

The Strange Aeons folks did a kickstarter a little while ago for Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten , a necromunda-ish game of cults fighting each other. I'm on board for that.

Scrappers is Osprey's post apocalyptic skirmish rules set that I have only read but am keen to try.

Brink of battles is a D10 plus modifiers rule set for ancients up to modern battles. It also has fantasy Epic heroes supplement.

Mantic is coming out with their Kings of War Vanguard skirmish rules
Last edit: 29 Jan 2018 17:31 by Almalik.

More
29 Jan 2018 17:52 #262476 by SuperflyPete
I’m not keen on Kulten, primarily because it’s the SA system minus the stuff that makes it interesting

More
29 Jan 2018 17:53 #262477 by SuperflyPete
The Two Hour Wargames 4 Horsemen game is pretty good but of all the features in games like this, my least favorite is morale checks.

My dudes came to rumble, not run.

More
29 Jan 2018 17:54 #262478 by SuperflyPete

More
29 Jan 2018 19:30 #262484 by stoic

hotseatgames wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: KEEEEEERIST I had no idea all of the Dungeon Command stuff got so expensive. Who’d I sell it to here? Whoever you are, you took me for a RIDE! ;-)

I have the whole set... I think at least part of it came from you. I haven't played in a LONG time. I love the game, but if someone is willing to fork over hundreds of dollars, maybe I'll look into selling.

I have the whole Dungeon Command set too, all five factions. The prices now are outrageous! This is why I haven't bought into Shadespire. I see Dungeon Command as Shadespire's precursor. I also see bits of MTG: Arena of the Planeswalkers in Shadespire's lineage too. So, why did Hasbro kill Dungeon Command? They could have offered card pack expansions for existing factions, new faction leaders, entirely new factions, new maps/battlefield tiles, and added new types of treasures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
29 Jan 2018 19:38 #262485 by the_jake_1973

Da Bid Dabid wrote:

the_jake_1973 wrote: I am definitely buying Gaslands now. Interested in playing Da Bid?

I will play Gaslands with you if you will alternate and play one of my hard to play miniatures games with me. Preferably SAGA in 15mm. Good excuse to play as we really don't live very far apart.

It is very fortunate I live down the road from Old Glory miniatures in Grand Haven. They have so many figs of all time periods.

More
29 Jan 2018 19:41 - 29 Jan 2018 19:51 #262486 by Mr. White
Not sure why they stopped at 5. it seemed the DDAS/Dungeon Command sets were a great pairing.

I'm also not sure why WotC never offered up mini expansions with, say, five new heroes for DDAS (that could also be compatible with DC). Maybe for like $20. Seems a hero expansion that contained the kids from the D&D cartoon would have cleaned up. I'd probably still have DDAS on my shelf to play with the family.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2018 19:51 by Mr. White.

More
29 Jan 2018 19:43 #262487 by Michael Barnes
Nobody ever asks us for advice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
30 Jan 2018 01:11 #262499 by Sevej
I am in for Lion Rampant. Mind you, this is a 40-60 man per side skirmish.

Recently discovered that I'm not interested in painting 6-10 man bands. They don't really look that interesting, considering my skill of painting. My take is, if your painting is only average, you'd better paint a lot of minis! A Lion Rampant retinue will be quite sizable that it's good to look, but not mass battle quantity, which takes much, much longer to paint.

Also, the rules seem to be really smooth to play, and the army creation is really flexible. Reading it makes me want to collect something.

No campaign though.

More
30 Jan 2018 02:36 #262502 by Xerxes
We're huge fans of 'The Rules With No Name', pretty much the best Wild West skirmish game out there
Get it free from
cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1505/0474/file...16238472113287185965

also easily modable to cover anything from pirates to gangsters.

More
30 Jan 2018 04:15 - 30 Jan 2018 04:17 #262504 by Matt Thrower

stoic wrote: I have the whole Dungeon Command set too, all five factions. The prices now are outrageous!

They're not *that* high. Scalpers are asking for silly money, but if you look at price histories on BGG and Ebay, sets are selling for $30-40, because ...

Mr. White wrote: Not sure why they stopped at 5. it seemed the DDAS/Dungeon Command sets were a great pairing.

... it's simply not a very good game. The card effects were mostly uninteresting dice buffs, and your hand of cards ran out quickly. When it did, the deterministic combat just turned it into a predictable, boring slog.

The goblins were the best set because their card effects were based on movement, and that allowed some degree of creativity and surprise. But their cards ran out as fast as everyone else's.

So I'm happy to stick with Shadespire. In terms of "measuring games", The Walking Dead: All Out War is a pretty good small-scale miniatures affair which, as an added bonus, and almost uniquely among miniatures games, is good fun played co-op or solo.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2018 04:17 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Mr. White, Colorcrayons

More
30 Jan 2018 08:43 #262507 by the_jake_1973
I may have to check out Lion rampant. It interested me when I was looking at other Osprey stuff.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.463 seconds