October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Harry Potter Miniatures Game

More
15 Feb 2018 04:35 - 15 Feb 2018 06:21 #263639 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: One is 35mm. Ouch. It sounds great- cool ass big models! But if it requires terrain pieces (assuming it will) then you are shut out immediately of a TON of terrain options. You will be at the mercy of Knight Models and third parties to develop this stuff, which will be BIG and EXPENSIVE.

Two is, obviously, Kickstarter. Come the fuck on, a HP game does not need crowd funding and if the company doing it needs crowdfunding to do it, then the license is likely in the wrong hands.

I don't care. So long as this isn't ludicrously expensive, I'm all over it. My whole family is Harry Potter crazy and, in a complete about-face, it's the one game they'd probably complain about for not getting.

Looking at the photos, I'm not convinced terrain is going to be an issue. Looks like it's printed on the board. Sure there might be BIG and EXPENSIVE terrain as an optional extra, but I doubt it's necessary. Besides, a lot of terrain is scale-less. If I have a ruined wall, no-one's going to spot that its 28mm rather than 35mm. I mean sure, I'd prefer 28mm but the bigger scale is going to be attractive to mass market buyers and it does stop you swapping in smaller scale generic figures as stand-ins.

And Kickstarter? My guess is that the plan is to try and absolutely murder the market with stretch goals and add-ons. That's why they've picked it over a standard release. Plus it's a great way to build the hype train, marketed right. And I imagine both tricks will work extremely well with such a hot property.

EDIT: On consideration, one thing does bother me slightly. I presume from the limited information available that this is going to be a competitive game. Now, I'm no great fan of co-ops, but if ever there was a licence that demanded it, surely it's Harry Potter? While there are plenty of Slytherin fans in the world, I can't see many folks wanting to play the Death Eaters?
Last edit: 15 Feb 2018 06:21 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2018 08:18 #263643 by Michael Barnes
“I hope I will be able to play as Death Eaters.”- MB

What would really sell the game more than large scale is prepainted plastic.

And it does depend on what kind of ruined walls you have. My Ruins of Osgilliath set would look ridiculous, with tiny house elf sized doors.

“I wonder if I can play as Dobby and/or Kreacher.”- MB

This is probably about the only game I would consider a big stretch goal-filled purchase on because HP is also a big thing in my house (we read the books almost every night at bedtime). But every time I say that I chicken out and cancel.

I dunno, one of the key concerns right now is if Luna Lovegood will be properly represented.

More
15 Feb 2018 10:16 #263654 by Msample

MattDP wrote: EDIT: On consideration, one thing does bother me slightly. I presume from the limited information available that this is going to be a competitive game. Now, I'm no great fan of co-ops, but if ever there was a licence that demanded it, surely it's Harry Potter? While there are plenty of Slytherin fans in the world, I can't see many folks wanting to play the Death Eaters?

People play Vader, Klingons, Borg, comic characters. Why not Draco Malfoy et al ?

More
15 Feb 2018 10:39 #263657 by Michael Barnes
The jig is up, this is a board game with resin minis and made by a model company- not really a miniatures game.

Board-based, most likely co-op....I will have to make a very tough saving throw...

More
15 Feb 2018 11:56 #263665 by Msample

Michael Barnes wrote:
Board-based, most likely co-op....I will have to make a very tough saving throw...

Summon your Patronus.

More
15 Feb 2018 12:04 #263667 by Matt Thrower

Msample wrote: People play Vader, Klingons, Borg, comic characters. Why not Draco Malfoy et al ?

Two reasons. First, Death Eaters don't, generally, have the air of sophistication or anti-heroism that many other villains do. Most are portrayed as being thuggish and pretty stupid. Second, there's a much stronger draw to side with the heroes because - unlike on film, where viewpoints often switch - the story in the books is told entirely from Harry's POV.

Of course, some people like Barnes are just born contrarians and will enjoy it anyway: I can just see it being an slightly off-putting element for the majority of the market.

More
07 Mar 2018 14:20 - 07 Mar 2018 14:20 #264912 by Gary Sax
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1953502/video-gameplay-posted

1 v 1 skirmish minis game. Not interested. I might buy some minis for my wife if they're nice.

I should really think about how to total conversion Argent to be Harry Potter. Would be a lot of work but would be a perfect Harry Potter game.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2018 14:20 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Mar 2018 14:27 #264916 by Colorcrayons
So after cursory research, it seems the best use of Harry Potter figs is in fact, Wiz-War. Ok. I'll wait for the figs to come to retail.

I am more inclined towards direct confrontation games against actual humans than unsatisfactory A.I. solo/co-op games, but I can safely pass on the game itself.

More
07 Mar 2018 14:41 #264923 by Michael Barnes
Wow...that looks...terrible.

Well good, I don’t have to have a moral conflict about wanting this game then. It’s more Harry Potter Clue for us!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
08 Mar 2018 08:20 #264999 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: Wow...that looks...terrible.

Well good, I don’t have to have a moral conflict about wanting this game then. It’s more Harry Potter Clue for us!

It's an absolutely dreadful video, with all the charm and enthusiasm of a flobberworm and fake laughter worth of the Dark Lord himself. But I'm not giving up on it yet: it goes over exactly one spell in one introductory scenario and we don't even see its effects. There might be a whole lot more interesting stuff to play with.

Also not bothered it's a skirmish game. There's plenty of wizard duels in the books, both formal and informal, although I agree it's a wasted opportunity to focus on that over all the great narrative in the stories.

More
08 Mar 2018 10:31 #265016 by Michael Barnes
Matt Thrower- “who would even want to play as the Death Eaters”

Designer of game- “I’ll be playing these four Death Eaters.”

More
08 Mar 2018 10:36 #265018 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: Wow...that looks...terrible.

Harry Potter Clue?

"Dumbledore did it in the Billiard Room with the revolver." Or did they put in a bit more effort to re-theme it?

More
08 Mar 2018 10:45 #265020 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: Matt Thrower- “who would even want to play as the Death Eaters”

Designer of game- “I’ll be playing these four Death Eaters.”

I flagged that up as a marketing flaw in terms of mass appeal, not a fundamental problem with the game. I'd play Death Eaters if it meant my kids could have a good time playing a game with me.

And I repeat - I still think it's a poor use of the licence. But that's not the same as being a bad game. Which it may well be - there's just not enough detail in the video to know either way.

Still AFAIK this one isn't going to be "kickstarter exclusive" so at least we'll get the chance to wait and see what people think before we choose to pull the trigger.

More
09 Mar 2018 15:29 - 09 Mar 2018 15:30 #265210 by ChristopherMD
NO LONGER A KICKSTARTER! PRE-ORDER ONLY!

www.knightmodelshp.com/copia-de-showcase-1
Last edit: 09 Mar 2018 15:30 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
09 Mar 2018 15:51 #265212 by Colorcrayons
Now they just need to offer the student models in the core box, outside of that core box.

Paying $123 for them is fail.

Good on them for ditching the KS though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.637 seconds