October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Batman Kickstarter (w/discussion of FOMO sales method)

More
08 Mar 2018 10:03 #265008 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Batman Kickstarter
After 13 pages I don't think anything new is going to be said on this. It all boils down to IMO:

- this sets a rather nasty precedent. Look for more FOMO money grabs from KS creators going forward. This will not go unnoticed by other publishers. Money up front and absolutely zero risk.

- the "we can't make money at retail argument" espoused by Monolith is bullshit. At a minimum, they could produce and sell them direct to consumer after the preorder period- ARES did this for the limited edition WAR OF THE RING sets. And yeah its expensive, but seeing as how Gloomhaven retails for close to the base set price, there is precedent for high price point stuff.

- as others have said, focusing purely on melee and not on investigative / more deeply immersed theme is something that makes it less appealing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2018 10:12 #265009 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Batman Kickstarter
Are we sure they're not going to sell direct on their website later? That is BS if they're not.

I'm not so sure this model will be adopted in large scale. 7th Continent already went this route, as did Mythic Battles Pantheon. CMON did this with HATE and I don't think it did as well as they were hoping.

More
08 Mar 2018 10:24 #265012 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Batman Kickstarter
I think the success or failure of a particular game isn't as dependent on whether it will be available later as it is on the presentation of the game on the KS page. And the subject matter of course.

This could easily be an attractive business model, as it removes the risk of unsold stock as well. More or less every copy is sold up front and there's no need to warehouse extras. Given the size of this particular critter, I sure wouldn't want to have to store 500 extra copies! Like GMT, if there's enough interest for a second run you start a second pre-order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Mar 2018 10:30 #265015 by Msample

charlest wrote: Are we sure they're not going to sell direct on their website later? That is BS if they're not.

Right at the top of the page:

"ALL THE CONTENT OFFERED DURING THIS CAMPAIGN IS KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE AND WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE IN RETAIL."

Sounds like FOMO to me.

Others have mentioned they can always do a second printing. This is certainly possible, but it may impact their "credibility" to extract FOMO pledges for future games.

More
08 Mar 2018 10:55 #265022 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Batman Kickstarter
They are getting away with the FOMO model because they have the Batman license. That said, the Batman license was probably not cheap.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:02 #265023 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Batman Kickstarter

charlest wrote: CMON did this with HATE and I don't think it did as well as they were hoping.

That's because HATE is so intense that it crushed their hopes and dreams and shit on their faces!!!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, Disgustipater, Colorcrayons, Sevej, charlest

More
08 Mar 2018 11:07 #265024 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: They are getting away with the FOMO model because they have the Batman license. That said, the Batman license was probably not cheap.

Other publishers with expensive IP licenses like Star Trek and Star Wars seem to be able to publish w/o resorting to the FOMO tactics seen with Batman.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:12 #265027 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Batman Kickstarter
It's about risk, right? I don't want to get too meta, but the new millennium business strategy (that is mostly working) is pushing risk from producers and businesses to consumers in their business models.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:19 #265030 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Batman Kickstarter

Msample wrote:

charlest wrote: Are we sure they're not going to sell direct on their website later? That is BS if they're not.

Right at the top of the page:

"ALL THE CONTENT OFFERED DURING THIS CAMPAIGN IS KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE AND WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE IN RETAIL."

Sounds like FOMO to me.

Others have mentioned they can always do a second printing. This is certainly possible, but it may impact their "credibility" to extract FOMO pledges for future games.

Yes I saw that, but HATE had a similar disclaimer and within the fine print they mentioned they would be selling copies direct from their website. I maybe falsely assumed that would be the case here.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:20 #265032 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Batman Kickstarter
I could be mistaken but I think Direct Sales aren't the same as Retail Sales.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:21 #265034 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Batman Kickstarter

Msample wrote:

Shellhead wrote: They are getting away with the FOMO model because they have the Batman license. That said, the Batman license was probably not cheap.

Other publishers with expensive IP licenses like Star Trek and Star Wars seem to be able to publish w/o resorting to the FOMO tactics seen with Batman.

True, but most other Kickstarters are not getting away with the FOMO tactics on this scale of pricing and funding.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:27 #265039 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Batman Kickstarter

Gary Sax wrote: It's about risk, right? I don't want to get too meta, but the new millennium business strategy (that is mostly working) is pushing risk from producers and businesses to consumers in their business models.

And their employees.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:30 - 08 Mar 2018 11:30 #265040 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Batman Kickstarter
^good point!!! The gig economy with no welfare state.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2018 11:30 by Gary Sax.

More
08 Mar 2018 13:25 #265057 by Msample

Mad Dog wrote: I could be mistaken but I think Direct Sales aren't the same as Retail Sales.

I guess. It all boils down to whether one can buy it after the Kickstarter. The message would seem to indicate buy it now or else....If they are burying it in fine print, its still FOMO in my book.

More
08 Mar 2018 13:58 #265067 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Batman Kickstarter
To whomever was wondering about splitting this with me, with me keeping the minis... I am going to pass. I don't like this Kickstarter and don't want to throw money at it. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds