October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Batman Kickstarter (w/discussion of FOMO sales method)

More
01 Mar 2018 12:45 #264240 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Batman Kickstarter

Shellhead wrote: The Knight Models Batman game looks amazing, but the prices are astounding and the rulebook is apparently terrible. The game mechanics sound okay, but learning them would be a pain. I'm surprised that people are suggesting that would be a better choice than this game.

It's not a Kickstarter so it's automatically good and no one's going to shit on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Gary Sax, Frohike, cdennett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2018 12:52 #264242 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Batman Kickstarter

Sagrilarus wrote: C'mon guys, don't buy their BS about being so strapped for cash. They have a butt-ton of margin on this thing, more-so because they won't have any idle stock when it's over. They have complete control of their margin and they sure ain't passing any savings on to you. Their justification for keeping all the money for themselves is . . . keeping all the money for themselves. I don't blame them, to me that seems like the perfect business model for board gaming. But what they wrote at the end of that 12 foot long kickstarter page about being so over a barrel for money is just out and out lying.

It doesn't hurt that it gets the scare up even more.

Oh I'm aware, but I was trying to counter their argument on face.

More
01 Mar 2018 12:57 #264244 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Batman Kickstarter

Mr. White wrote: Unfortunately, I doubt you'll find this game sans minis in the aftermarket to use your wooden disc system with.

You're right though. Without any necessary 3d element to game around, all of these _could_ be tokens, chits, or standees. Are the minis worth $300?

The game is *only* $140 -- the $320 is if you want all of the expansions too. It may be that you feel that you have to have them, but that starts to speak more to completionism than a more fair comparison of $140 game vs. other games that are similarly priced.

For $140 you are getting

76 minis in the base game
42 minis from the stretch goals (so far)

I am sure that will go up quite a bit, so you are probably looking at 150 minis or so for $140 dollars -- less than a dollar a mini, plus whatever the gameplay. If it is only a reskinned Conan with some tweeks, then that is pretty good because that is a damn fine game. We need to get some Victorian fainting couches in the F:AT lounge so we can wheel them out when a new kickstarter goes up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Gary Sax, Mr. White, Frohike, drewcula, charlest

More
01 Mar 2018 13:05 #264246 by Space Ghost
Hell, even if you just wanted the minis to play on Heroscape terrain -- this is a much cheaper way than getting Heroclix figures (which seem to be going for about $13 for a box of 5), with the downside that these won't be painted. They are way cheaper than the Knight Models minis. You could get these minis and use with the Knight models rules if it tickled your fancy. This really is a lot of Batman minis for $140.

More
01 Mar 2018 13:24 #264250 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Batman Kickstarter
Maybe I misunderstood the pricing structure, but it looks like this to me, focusing just on minis:

$140 gets you the base game, including 76 minis. ($1.84 per mini)
$320 gets you the base game plus the expansions, plus all the stretch goals (all have been met), which includes a total of 224 minis. ($1.43 per mini)

Come to think of it, if I go for this, I might as well go all in, because it would only cost me $55 more to get all the stretch goals plus the two expansions that didn't seem worth it when priced as add-ons to the base game.

More
01 Mar 2018 13:28 #264251 by Space Ghost
You get the stretch goals with the base game pledge too. I imagine that there will be enough stretch goals met over the next month that it should get very close to 140 minis if not more -- so basically $1.00 a mini

More
01 Mar 2018 13:50 #264257 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Batman Kickstarter
As far as price goes, I'm sure I've paid more than $300 on Imperial Assault + Expansions and that doesn't get played enough without having to compete with similar games in my library.

Star Wars > Batman

More
01 Mar 2018 13:57 - 01 Mar 2018 14:00 #264258 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Batman Kickstarter
My biggest question is how much actual game can there be in the $140 less shipping base game when there are only two double sided boards included? Seemsmlike there can't be a whole hell of a lot of variety in the scenarios. There are waaay more minis than there are game board spaces to play them on. Unless those scenarios are insanely compelling, it seems like this could get boring fast.

Obviously, the all or nothing sales model really turns me off as well, but if that's what's making them sales it's their right; they paid for the license after all. I guess i just wish someone else had gotten the license and had marketed their game through more traditional (old fashioned?) means. The point made above about Imperial Assault was spot on; there's no bigger license than Star Wars, period. There's not a chance FFG would roll out a $350 all inclusive game system.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2018 14:00 by jay718.

More
01 Mar 2018 13:57 #264259 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Batman Kickstarter

Gary Sax wrote: That Batmobile expansion looks especially dire. The rest looks pretty full featured, I'm not as down on it as you guys.

I mean, fuck, I have a preorder in with MMP for like 200+ dollars for two simultaneously printed Greats Campaigns of the American Civil War games. I can't pretend I'm that discerning.

The difference being:

MMP isn't trying to scare you into prepaying a fucking year in advance because they claim it will never be sold at retail.

In your case, the games are much more of a known quantity since they are essentially a reprint of an existing series. Yeah I know this Batman game is based on CONAN, but who the fuck knows what the gameplay will actually be like.

Fuck this shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
01 Mar 2018 14:04 #264262 by Shellhead

jay718 wrote: My biggest question is how much actual game can there be in the $140 less shipping base game when there are only two double sided boards included? Seemsmlike there can't be a whole hell of a lot of variety in the scenarios. There are waaay more minis than there are game board spaces to play them on. Unless those scenarios are insanely compelling, it seems like this could get boring fast.

That's a great point. With the first two expansions, you pick up four more double-sided boards, but that's still pretty light.

Another concern that I have is if the various villains play very differently, or end up being minor variations of each other.

More
01 Mar 2018 14:27 #264267 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Batman Kickstarter
The Batman Miniatures Game is pretty damn expensive but buying from Gamenerdz or Miniature Market at least makes it somewhat doable. Everything is slowly being converted from the 1st edition rules with metal minis over to 2nd edition rules with resin minis. The rulebook is available in PDF form for free on their website as well as a traits compendium which is pretty handy. They also make all the character cards available for download as long as you don't mind a small watermark on them. You could theoretically never spend a penny on it if you already have terrain and other minis to use. One thing to be aware of is this game really needs a lot of terrain at different heights to fully appreciate it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
01 Mar 2018 14:41 - 01 Mar 2018 14:47 #264272 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Batman Kickstarter
Yeah...
I was beating this KS hype drum for a while now.
I'm one of the deplorables that Michael Barnes dismisses.

I'm all in.

Monolith is gonna get $320 from me. Plus shipping.

I love playing in IPs. IPs with resonance and history are even better.
Conan was around before me. Conan will be around after me. I love sword and sorcery. I love Conan.
Batman was around before me. Batman will be around after me. I love the Detective Comics. I love the Dark Knight.
Also,
I love Cthulhu. Cthulhu is a constant.
I love Spartacus. Spartacus is a constant.

If the IP has a rich literary source, so much the better. Batman may be a comic, but it's had it's fair share of talented writers over the decades. I like to re-read Howard, and Lovecraft. Spartacus is certainly tied to a TV show (which was goofy and gory fun), but I do adore the Douglas film and I just read the Howard Fast bio.

Monolith made a very good game called Conan. I've already discussed it's hiccups and my lingering frustrations. Those frustrations have either been addressed, or I'm just being a whiney completion-ist. I'm not losing sleep over not being able to buy a dragon.

Monolith made another very good game (partnered with Mythic Games) called Mythic Battles. Mythic Battles is fucking GREEK. Greek myth ain't going anywhere, it's very fun to read, and it's nice to see some quality components reflect the source material. Mythic Battles is like Advanced Heroscape (except, Greek).

Monolith also partnered with Mythic Games to make Joan of Arc. I know less of this game. It looks neat as hell, but Joan of Arc doesn't capture me like a pissed off vigilante.

My Monolith point; they've a growing company learning from a few early missteps. Their product has been top notch quality in my eyes. I like the properties they choose to develop into games. Their next property interests me less (another Howard character), but I'll still give it a thorough once-over. After the Howard title? They'll be tackling a new edition of Claustrophobia. Sign me up!

Batman is a steep price, but I find the value reasonable and I suspect it will be even better before the KS closes. Batman was the darling of Gencon last summer. People were sitting down and playing Batman. I couldn't play it because it was always full. Fortunately, I'm tall. I just lurched over onlookers and watching for several minutes. I saw enough Conan mechanics to make me stoked for a Batman version.

That the game could/should/will be a "Kickstarter Exclusive" is even MORE appealing to me. I'm too old to get into the arms race for the next expansion, the power creep, and the ever changing meta. That my pledge is going to be an all inclusive "here ya go!" system is pretty refreshing. If it's anything like Conan, Monolith will have their printed scenarios and then start hosting fan made ones. There's plenty of content to recreate a lot of storylines.

The content also looks fun as hell to paint.

No regrets! All FAT:ties are welcome to my DC crib to play Conan, Cthulhu, or Batman. If Michael shows up, I'll break out Cosmic Encounter.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2018 14:47 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983, vegasrobb, Frohike, Colorcrayons, Scott_F

More
01 Mar 2018 14:50 #264274 by Shellhead
I find the prospect of painting 200+ miniatures to be exhausting. I'm going to take a serious look at the Batman Miniatures game rules pdf. If the rules and character cards are all available for free, I can easily do a set of tokens in place of the minis. The only unusual challenge would be the 3D terrain. But again, it comes down to rules. If the Batman Miniatures game rules don't impress me, it won't be worth the effort or printer toner for me to get into it.

More
01 Mar 2018 15:17 - 01 Mar 2018 15:18 #264277 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Batman Kickstarter

drewcula wrote: Their next property interests me less (another Howard character), but I'll still give it a thorough once-over.

What character is this?
Link? (the url not nintendo character...)
Last edit: 01 Mar 2018 15:18 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

More
01 Mar 2018 15:58 #264284 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Batman Kickstarter
Going off of Conan, scenario variety with only the 4 boards wouldn’t be a concern. Not only does Conan manage that well, but there’s scenarios I’ve played 4 times now and they’ve played out pretty differently every time. You can’t often say that about scenario driven games.

Scenario balance, that’s a different story. Definitely the weakest aspect of Conan.

The villain point is probably valid. Why in the fuck is Riddler in this game? What could you possibly do with Riddler that would have any personality? It’s not impossible, the TMNT game *nailed* the personalities of its characters, but it also had more cards and oodles of text on the cards. Conan doesn’t have that, and adding it would likely result in it being unwieldy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds