October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

F:AT--the People's Court

More
14 Mar 2018 15:08 #265669 by Cranberries
Occasionally someone will say something in such opposition to the spirit of this site that it may be necessary to ask them to turn in their Ameritrash card. Exhibit A:

Sagrilarus wrote: I appreciate that there is a market for sequels and prequels, but it's pretty rare that they don't damage the original concept. Follow-on directors have a much harder row to hoe. Personally, I think Cameron's Aliens was a buddy-cop film that took place on another planet. He makes seamless films, but they're never a stretch, never make you think. Ripley's "Back off *****" line was the special sauce in a Big Mac of a movie. Tastes good, but no particular value to the meal.

What is an appropriate punishment for a crime this egregious?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, DukeofChutney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2018 15:19 - 14 Mar 2018 15:20 #265670 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic F:AT--the People's Court
I thought Alien was the superior film, given that it was created during the period of time when Scott actually favored story over spectacle. That said, I credit Cameron for taking the premise in an entirely new direction and still creating a good story out of it. Aliens is, by far, Cameron's best film but I agree that the pasted on testosterone displayed by Ripley in that scene was something I could live without. Are we supposed to be more impressed by her using profanity and screaming at the queen or by her determination in going into the nest to bring out Newt who may well be dead, anyway? Give me the latter, any day. That's character. Spitting a "tough guy" line (it's actually "Get away from her, you bitch!") is boring shit that shows up in any action film.

With that in mind, I finally saw Lockout the other day. I'd seen the trailer years ago and loved the interrogation scene (I'm a Guy Pearce fan; he's criminally underused in American cinema.)

but I'd never gotten around to seeing it. As I'd been warned, it's basically Escape from New York in space. Pearce is really the only interesting thing about it, but Maggie Grace does put in an interesting performance, as well.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 15:20 by Jackwraith.

More
14 Mar 2018 15:19 - 14 Mar 2018 15:22 #265671 by Black Barney
Hmmmm, i know scripture states to judge not lest ye be judged, but I think at least some element of fire should be involved.

As for Aliens, I’ve said it before but once Ripley and Hicks lose Newt, everything after that is not interesting after a first viewing. It’s buddy cop straight action. Everything before that is scary, funny, exciting and suspenseful. In short, the marines really make that movie.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 15:22 by Black Barney.

More
14 Mar 2018 15:30 - 14 Mar 2018 15:40 #265672 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic F:AT--the People's Court
It would appear that Jack and Barney are witnesses for the defense.

I enjoyed Aliens, and I appreciate that Cameron does his homework. He's notorious for being a dick about the smallest of details, and he takes the time to do things right. But I have never gotten the feeling even once that he's considered taking a risk.

Back when Avatar was days away from release Barnes came on F:At and summarized the plot in about six sentences. He hadn't seen the film, but he managed to describe the film damn near correctly including the ending just by spitballing what the sci-fi-adventure-movie-for-dummies chapter 1 would call for. That's Cameron. He produces seamless movies, but ten minutes in (or zero minutes in apparently) you know how it's going to end. Enjoy the ride.

Cameron could never direct Rocky. He could never create a movie where the good guy loses the fight at the end. Wouldn't even occur to him, and frankly I'm not sure he'd concede that Rocky's ending actually works. I'd wager he'd "fix" it if he was to do a remake.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 15:40 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Mar 2018 16:03 #265674 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic F:AT--the People's Court
Hanging is too good for him, and Barney. Aliens is not perfect, but it is one of the most enjoyable movies that I have seen. Great mixture of action, horror, and comedy, with so many quotable lines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Mar 2018 16:08 #265676 by Colorcrayons
I'll be a witness for the defense as well. With that said, the good lord does lurv himself a hangin'.

More
14 Mar 2018 16:14 #265677 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: but it is one of the most enjoyable movies that I have seen. Great mixture of action, horror, and comedy, with so many quotable lines.

Exactly. It's just like a Big Mac, tastes great, but doesn't change your life.

More
14 Mar 2018 16:17 #265678 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic F:AT--the People's Court
What if people could have an opinion on something without being accused of High Fucking Nerd Crimes.

Y'all wanna rip on Ready Player One and then start talking about sacred texts.

More
14 Mar 2018 16:57 #265684 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic F:AT--the People's Court
Nah, Sag's F:AT bonifides are up to snuff.

Alien is great. Aliens is fun.

Terminator is fantastic. Other Cameron movies I can take or leave.

More
14 Mar 2018 17:04 - 14 Mar 2018 17:06 #265688 by Michael Barnes
Dave, I think you and I need to start a Nerd Crimes Bureau.

I don’t know where this buddy cop thing is coming from though. Aliens is nothing like Tango and Cash. Everybody knows it’s a war movie.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 17:06 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney

More
14 Mar 2018 17:16 #265690 by engineer Al
STONE HIM!

More
14 Mar 2018 17:33 #265693 by Black Barney
Mike brings up a good point. I still have no idea how to class Aliens. When i started talking about the marines being the best part of the movie, it's the first time I actually thought of it as maybe a war movie. It probably isn't, has there ever been a sci-fi war movie? Edge of Tomorrow? Not really, right?

Back in the Blockbuster days you would always find it under either Horror (ridiculous) or Sci-fi. It's a pretty thin sci-fi movie though outside of hypersleep and dropships. Is it an action movie? Is there enough action to justify that? The first action scene is way too deep into the movie for that to work.

I'm thinking it's a thriller because the first 2/3rd really set up suspense (like Alien did) and the mood and all that. I think it's a thriller.

More
14 Mar 2018 17:46 #265696 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic F:AT--the People's Court
I'll tell you this - if you make love to a woman in a Cameron movie, you're in for some bad shit, at a minimum. Your best bet is to make out your will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
14 Mar 2018 18:05 #265699 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic F:AT--the People's Court
Normally, a horror movie features a bunch of victims and maybe one or two survivors who were somewhat competent. But there are a few movies that I have seen where it should be a horror scenario but either one or more "victims" are capable of fighting the threat directly, making it more of a hybrid of horror/action. Some examples:

Aliens
Predator
Pitch Black
Resident Evil

There are probably more, but I am drawing a blank at the moment.

More
14 Mar 2018 18:32 #265702 by Sagrilarus

RobertB wrote: I'll tell you this - if you make love to a woman in a Cameron movie, you're in for some bad shit, at a minimum. Your best bet is to make out your will.

That's a trope as well, particularly for female characters in horror movies. Show your boobs, you're the first to die, often before the sexual encounter is complete.

Cameron may be the most dependable director in Hollywood. You can decide for yourself if that's a good thing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds