October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

PHD in D&D

More
19 Apr 2018 10:09 #267805 by stoic
PHD in D&D was created by stoic

www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/04/17/stanfo...hite-male-privilege/

I wonder if the most famous library of antiquity, the Library of Alexandria, had such distinguished scholarly entries in its racks?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2018 11:47 #267813 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic PHD in D&D
Ah, Breitbart, the bastion of legitimate reporting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete, ufe20

More
19 Apr 2018 11:50 - 19 Apr 2018 11:53 #267814 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic PHD in D&D
The thing you gotta ask yourself with this article is -- "who the fuck cares?"

I'm not talking about the topic of the discussion, I'm talking about the fact that, of the several thousand academic abstracts that are released each week, Breitbart decided that this rando idea from a professor that is forced to publish in order to maintain his job was worthy of promotion to their front page. What's the agenda on their part to take this completely obscure bullshit line item in the academic record, one not deserving so much as a footnote, and place it front and center before their readership?
Last edit: 19 Apr 2018 11:53 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, Nodens, ufe20

More
19 Apr 2018 12:02 #267816 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic PHD in D&D
The abstract didn't feel like all that much of an attack on my white male privilege.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete, Nodens

More
19 Apr 2018 12:07 - 19 Apr 2018 12:08 #267817 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic PHD in D&D
So the thing about this kind of shit comes down to this: is studying human art and culture fundamentally worthwhile, in and of itself? I know this sounds super reductive but I think we've come to a crossroads with the humanities re: the public. I know what I think the answer is (art matters, the study of art, even obscure shit, is worthwhile), but I increasingly do not know if the public supports it. Or they only support the study of 100+ year old work which are just culture that for some reason is labelled as important?

I'm not stinging anyone individually on this but as an academic I am endlessly wearied by having abstracts and titles pulled out of a million other ones that address important or understandable questions and waved in my face. I get it. Academics produce some obscure and not obviously useful stuff amidst the useful stuff they do. Senator Tom Coburn did this every year as he tried to eliminate all NSF funding for political science. It's exhausting and, not just selective, as Sag says, but often he brought out papers that would actually be interesting, if obscure, to know the answer to. He brought out this one NSF grant that was something like "Are politicians responsive to their constituents?" and laughed out loud and said "can you believe this, of course they are!" That is an incredibly non-obvious question, actually, in the corpus of the study of American politics.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2018 12:08 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Msample, Frohike, sornars, Nodens, ufe20

More
19 Apr 2018 12:21 #267820 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic PHD in D&D

Gary Sax wrote: So the thing about this kind of shit comes down to this: is studying human art and culture fundamentally worthwhile, in and of itself? I know this sounds super reductive but I think we've come to a crossroads with the humanities re: the public. I know what I think the answer is (art matters, the study of art, even obscure shit, is worthwhile), but I increasingly do not know if the public supports it. Or they only support the study of 100+ year old work which are just culture that for some reason is labelled as important?

Especially when a lot of these professors who write shit like the above article rarely do their primary function - TEACH , instead pawning it off on TAs, grad students, etc. I had a class in college taught by two professors, one of whom was an authority in his field, often quoted in newspapers etc. His utterly inept and boring partner taught 90% of the classes while the class fell asleep. I finally tracked him down one day and pretty much shamed into showing up for a few classes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
19 Apr 2018 12:31 #267823 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic PHD in D&D
^definitely part of a larger debate of the utility of the research university.

More
19 Apr 2018 12:45 - 19 Apr 2018 12:47 #267827 by Nodens
Replied by Nodens on topic PHD in D&D

Gary Sax wrote: I think we've come to a crossroads with the humanities re: the public.

Hasn't it always been like this? Had a conversation with the first and only humanities scholar in his family at a wedding reception recently. He said "in my family, there is no one I can have a normal conversation with. Nobody understands what I do, and nobody thinks I should be getting paid."

Msample wrote: Especially when a lot of these professors who write shit like the above article rarely do their primary function - TEACH , instead pawning it off on TAs, grad students, etc.

Mentioned by Sag before, it could be they have to prioritise, because their job depends on amount of publishing, not quality of teaching.

The Breitbart article was interesting on a meta level. Feels like it was just an opportunity to drop a couple of key words for the readers to get mad about. Content-wise, Gygax was a white man, well duh. What exactly is problematic about "half the game’s depicted characters are female"? I would be interested in his reasoning about that "fear of the other" thing, though.

"Hey, let's not lose our grip on that white male privilege thing. I don't care if you have any content, keep 'em coming, no matter what. Let's turn this one into 'they are trying to take away our RPGs next'!"
Last edit: 19 Apr 2018 12:47 by Nodens.

More
19 Apr 2018 13:21 #267831 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic PHD in D&D

Nodens wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: I think we've come to a crossroads with the humanities re: the public.

Msample wrote: Especially when a lot of these professors who write shit like the above article rarely do their primary function - TEACH , instead pawning it off on TAs, grad students, etc.

Mentioned by Sag before, it could be they have to prioritise, because their job depends on amount of publishing, not quality of teaching.

Then their job description is flawed IMO. Hell half the "publishing" my profs did was the textbooks they then claimed were necessary for their class.

More
19 Apr 2018 13:56 #267835 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic PHD in D&D

Msample wrote:

Nodens wrote:

Then their job description is flawed IMO. Hell half the "publishing" my profs did was the textbooks they then claimed were necessary for their class.

In better departments at research universities, the job should depend on publishing papers in high quality journals. Not just the number of papers. When I was going up for tenure, I was told only 5 journals would count -- everything else was a waste of my time.

We get no credit for publishing textbooks or book chapters, so I mostly avoid them. Additionally, we have a conflict of interest section in our contract that doesn't allow us to use our own textbooks in classes we teach and to also get royalties on the sales --- I would hope that is the case everywhere.

More
19 Apr 2018 14:06 #267839 by ufe20
Replied by ufe20 on topic PHD in D&D
Too bad the article is behind a paywall, sounds interesting.

Reading the coments on the Breitbart article, it's filled with stuff like this

Just another anti-white racist, Western-culture-hating, heterophobic, self-loathing misandrist lefturd.

To borrow their terms, Jesus Christ what a bunch of triggered snowflakes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
19 Apr 2018 14:07 #267840 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic PHD in D&D
lol, i HATE that I can't update my signature. i would totally put that.

More
19 Apr 2018 16:04 #267855 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic PHD in D&D
I spent a lot of time selecting the specific D&D image accompanying this post and no one even commented on it as an exemplar of toxic masculinity and gender exploitation. Son, I am disappoint.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, Frohike, Nodens

More
19 Apr 2018 16:09 #267857 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic PHD in D&D
it felt like a total trap. It's the only reason I'm posting and revisiting this thread is so to look at that pic, which had a pretty strong effect on me as a kid. In fact, I think it honestly might be the first time I ever had the thought, "yeah.. I could die like that and it would be ok"

that meme is frickin' perfect tho
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, stoic

More
19 Apr 2018 16:29 - 19 Apr 2018 16:33 #267858 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic PHD in D&D
I will send Gary Gygax’ estate a thank you note every time I have sex with my nonwhite wife who only wanted me because of the white power I project thanks to my privilege. Especially working as a busboy driving a rusty AF 1975 AMC Hornet sedan.

Clearly it was the blinding pallidity of my ivory meatsheath.

PS: that is the most masturbated-to image in all of D&Ddom. I know I contributed greatly to that statistic. It is no coincidence that Succubus rhymes with Fuck ya fist
Last edit: 19 Apr 2018 16:33 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike, stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds